CX-2 And USB-C charging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azstinger11

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have a CX-2 backup light and generally really like the device, with one major caveat. Despite it charging through "USB-C" it doesn't really seem to support the standard, just the physical port. When you buy the light it comes with a USB-C to USB-A (old school rectangle USB) cable. Why do I say it doesn't support the standard? Well trying to charge from USB-C to USB-C doesn't work at all (so from a MacBook Pro wall charger cable, generic Anker USB C wall outlet, or a powerbrick all of which work with all my other USB C devices). The number of wall outlets/and USB-C to USB-A cables it supports is also apparently limited or very picky. Trying to use a powered USB A hub is a no-go (have tried multiple), charging off multiple computer USB A ports doesn't work, it really is hyper limited to just a few cables and wall charger combinations. My guess is that the charging port is for a lack of better word, dumb and that dive rite didn't implement power delivery negotiations on the board. It can really only safely handle a very narrow power input and the USB specification can deliver a wide range, many of which would be too high/damaging for their device. Good USB C devices are capable of performing a negotiation with the device delivery the power and say (in simplified terms) that's great you can provide X, i however only need Y in order to safeguard them. It seems Dive Rite didn't do that. Meaning you plug in something and if its too powerful you are out of luck. I will admit I am a bit perplexed why the USB-C to USB-A cable matters, but other USB-C to USB-A cables are really hit or miss with this light, on cables that work on other USB C to USB A devices just fine.

Leaving us with a product that is hyper picky about how it's charged despite using what is meant to be a unifying port. This is disappointing and something I would hope they change on future revisions. I have to make sure now I don't loose/damage the very specific combination of charger/cable that this light works. I can only imagine how frustrating/difficult this would be to replace while traveling, not only is not just a USB C cable, its a USB C to USB A, and you better hope the device likes the particular variant of the cable.

While not critical it is annoying. I didn't select this light solely for its USB-C connection but it was a factor. It was meant to allow for one less unique cable/adapter while traveling and just in general.

I have reached out to Dive Rite customer service a few times and gotten no reply. So just wanted to make people aware and see if anyone else has had the same experience.

I haven't ran into it being specific, I have used a USBC car charger and many different cord / power supply options. It has always charged for me.
I have never tried a usbc to usbc cord as I have nothing with a usbc dedicated output.

I charged one last night off my MacBook Pro successfully, and know I’ve used the USB-C wall wart (not an apple branded one) successfully in the past.

I charged one last night off my MacBook Pro successfully, and know I’ve used the USB-C wall wart (not an apple branded one) successfully in the past.
Interesting, neither of the two MacBooks pros with usb C ports will charge it. Neither will my anker usb c wall warts. Some random usb wall wart from god knows know where will. We have a few outlets in the house with USB and USB C outlets built in and the light won’t charge from them either.

I just use the charging cord that came with my CX2. No issues.
Interesting the provided cable for me is still picky on which wall wart/source I use. Anker, apple, desktop PCs/MacBooks, in wall USB outlets, won’t work with the provided or any USB A to USB C cable.

I haven't ran into it being specific, I have used a USBC car charger and many different cord / power supply options. It has always charged for me.
I have never tried a usbc to usbc cord as I have nothing with a usbc dedicated output.

Hmm sounds like I got a bum unit. Would be really nice if they had answered any of the 3 support tickets or emails I had sent them about this.

Interesting the provided cable for me is still picky on which wall wart/source I use. Anker, apple, desktop PCs/MacBooks, in wall USB outlets, won’t work with the provided or any USB A to USB C cable.
I use cheap USB wall adapters from Amazon. Never my MacBook and I don’t have electrical outlets with usb bits.

I think I have unit with a bad charging board. It sounds like it shouldn’t be this picky from others. Just annoying since I’ve reached out multiple times to dive rite and nothing but radio silence.

That’s weird as they’ve always been very responsive to me. Have you tried calling?

Back
Top Bottom