Is there a public use mooring ball at the Vandenberg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

I have a 38' 10-tonne sailing yacht. We're going to be doing some diving down here. I know the state maintains many public-use mooring balls throughout the park, but can't find any details wrt the Vandenberg site specifically.

Yes, there are public use mooring balls, maintained by NOAA, use is limited to 2 hours.

Yes, there are public use mooring balls, maintained by NOAA, use is limited to 2 hours.
Frank, I've never been to the Vandenberg so I'm totally in the dark on this but how is the time limit enforced? How far away is the nearest enforcement agency/boat? This is an issue that comes up often when people start proposing the idea of moorings at dive sites here in SoCal.

I figure those mooring balls are like the ones farther north along the coast. Whoever comes first uses it, as far as having a time limit I'm sure dive charters will communicate among themselves and if a boat camps out for very long they will be told.
Hopefully in a friendly way at least initially.

I have a 38' 10-tonne sailing yacht. We're going to be doing some diving down here. I know the state maintains many public-use mooring balls throughout the park, but can't find any details wrt the Vandenberg site specifically.
If you are not familiar with this divesite, you should research it. Its subject to a strong current and the typical procedure is to deploy a granny line along with a line running from the granny line to about 10-15 feet down on the mooring line. Divers splash in at the stern, then pull themselves forward against the current. Then down the mooring line. On exit, the procedure is reversed. If you miss the granny line, retrieval is Havana.

On exit, the procedure is reversed. If you miss the granny line, retrieval is Havana.
Doesn't the current go the other direction? That is, to the NE instead of to the SW?

Doesn't the current go the other direction? That is, to the NE instead of to the SW?
It runs hard in both directions depending on the gyre.

Frank, I've never been to the Vandenberg so I'm totally in the dark on this but how is the time limit enforced? How far away is the nearest enforcement agency/boat? This is an issue that comes up often when people start proposing the idea of moorings at dive sites here in SoCal.
They don’t really enforce it Ken. I wanted to let the OP know that he can’t camp on it as an overnight mooring, although no one would care. But morning, when all 6 passenger dive boats are there, they will sneer at a private boat. No one will care in you get on at 0700 and gone by 0900, or if you come back on after 1200, you can stay forever.

But if they did, they patrol most days, if FWC doesn’t, Coast Guard does, and if they don’t, you might get a visit from a NOAA courtesy vessel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom