Is there a LDS in Dallas that stocks BP/W equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to experience the whole BP/W thing and was hoping there was a LDS in Dallas that stocked this equipment so I could try it on. Does anyone know if any LDS carries that type of stuff? Thanks in advance.

Hey Jerrett
We carry Aqua Lung, Dive Rite, OMS, Deep Outdoors... we can custom order anything to meet your specs and get the right configuration so you can get the ultimate experience. Call us so we can talk about what features you are after. Because of our custom order program we don't stock many, that keeps our prices very, very competive, which is a great feature as you go BP/W.

Thanks,

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

Ditto the Scuba Toys. They have the Dive Rite & Zeagle BP/W's. Emerald Sea stocked Halcyon as well as Dive Rite, so ST may have some Halcyons too now that Emerald Sea & Scuba Toys are one & the same.

Really not sure though. I like to shield my wallet from that part of the store. Lately I've been trying to stick to just air fills and the occasional I just can't live without it nick knacks.

Scuba toys has Dive rite, OMS, and Zeagle stuff along with an assortment of wings and accessories.

Grapevine scuba has some Halcyon BP stuff

Lone star scuba has some deep outdoors stuff that I am not familiar with but I think they have some BP systems

If your looking at technical diving avoid any type of gimmicks when it comes to the setup such as quick adjustment straps and such, think as simple as possible, for standard OW the simple as possible also works and will save you money.

Scuba toys has in stock several types and brands of plates to try out, and an assortment of wings in the store with several options, such as a zeagle setup that does not require a STA with a wing that bolts directly to the plate or a slick setup with a standard harness STA and a very streamlined oxycheq wing, however you want it setup, I HIGHLY suggest however that you get with someone who dives back plate and wing to show you the ropes before you go to a dive shop, not knocking the dive shops, its just that a lotshops that sell them, don't dive them, and when it comes to back plate rigs there are several ways to skin a cat.

I do not work for any dive shops, these are just my opinions

texdiveguy:

Alan, does Debra have some there? I didn't see any last time I was in. If so, I will definitely swing by. I just want to try one on and check it out to see if I would be interested in getting it.

And thanks to everyone else who has responded so far. I was kicking around the idea of a Zeagle BP so I can use the wing and Atomic SS1 off my Brigade as needed.

So you don't recommend the "Deluxe" harnesses that have shoulder pads and quick release buckles, but rather the standard type 2inch webbing?

Just to clarify, I don't want one to do tech things, I just like the idea of carrying as little as I can into the water with me.

Ok, there is no real comfort issue with a standard harness vs pads and whatnot... underwater your rig weighs about 2 lbs, you aren't going to notice anything.

The only advantage to a deluxe harness IMHO is the quick releases make it a bit easier to get in and out of the rig. The disadvantage to them is they take up a lot of space on the harness, space you may want to stow something - and they are more expensive. I started out with a deluxe harness but have since replaced it with a std harness so I could put my backup lights where I wanted them.

Now on the Zeagle (on any plate with slots for cam bands), some people mention that the tank can roll on the plate without using an STA. I know this can happen but with a LP98, I've never noticed it. One thing I dislike about the Zeagle wings is you can only attach them to a Zeagle plate (they don't have the 11" holes but 4 rings that bolt to the plate). That wasn't a problem for me until I started switching between singles and doubles... instead of the 2 bolts needed to change a standard wing with an STA/doubles I had to unto 8 of them. Anyway, not an issue if you don't plan on diving doubles and besides you've got the wing anyway.

Like Rick said, hook up with some people who dive bp/wing and take a look at their rig but in the end, you can play around with it. If you buy the wrong harness, no big deal, you can change it easily (and cheaply) enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom