Is there a convenient and risk-free way for an American to go to Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say the answer to your questions are yes and no, yes there are relatively convienent ways to get to cuba. However they are far from risk free. I'd say the least risk free way would be to fly to mexico, then pay cash for a ticket to havana and use cash for everything else on the trip. I would think that on a trip of this nature you'd want as few paper trails as possible. I'd rather knowingly violate the embargo and have the least chance of getting caught then try and sneak through a semi legit loop hole that might or might not work. I think if they catch you they catch you, and you can say well I was on a fully sponsered trip to cuba thru a foreign travel agent having spent no money in cuba. They'll probably say your on a fully sponsered trip to Club Fed with your tour guide Bubba after which you'll be knee deep in fines. The bottom line is that there are risks involved in visiting this destination, and if your willing to accept those risks and deal with the consequences if you get caught then by all means have fun in cuba. If not have fun in the resort metropolis that is most caribbean islands.

As I've already written, there are risk free ways for an American citizen to go to Cuba legally IF it is via an officially sanctioned cultural, scientific, educational or humanitarian trip. For those super-"patriots" who feel that going there period violates US law, you are mistaken. However, you'd better make sure that any trip you go on is indeed officially sanctioned.

That's why I posted the link back on page 3 -- Congressional Research Service report on travel to Cuba. See pages 6 - 8 of the report.

We could also unite to put pressure on our government (you know the land of the free) and get them to repeal the economic embargo that has not worked for almost 60 years now.

Tom Smedley:
We could also unite to put pressure on our government (you know the land of the free) and get them to repeal the economic embargo that has not worked for almost 60 years now.

If you truly feel that the embargo should be changed write your Congresscritters. Some do respond, some do not. All it WILL cost you is some time, paper and a stamp. Perhaps if more people did communicate with the critters they may start listening. (Not necessarily about this subject.)

JRScuba:
Denounce your USA citizenship and fly to Cuba via Canada. Since you don't want to play
by the rules and think your someone special this is the way for you to go.
I wouldn't say he thinks he is special, just someone who feels it's his god-given right to visit any country, on this planet of ours, that he damn well wants to.

Azza:
just someone who feels it's his god-given right to visit any country, on this planet of ours, that he damn well wants to.

Ahhh, las derachas mismas de nuestros hermanos Cubano. Mas o menos. :ignore:

RoatanMan:
Ahhh, las derachas mismas de nuestros hermanos Cubano. Mas o menos. :ignore:
Apesadumbrado no puedo hablar español. Intenté el traductor del google pero vino fuera de mutilado levemente.

Are those fighting words?

Back
Top Bottom