Is there a convenient and risk-free way for an American to go to Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would strongly advise you not to go to Cuba at this time. The reward is not worth the risk. Just bide your time; old man Castro is bound to die one of these days. Then, it will quickly become a legal and popular tourist destination.

I am a Canadian and I've been to Cuba three times in the past two years. Each time I have arrived at a different airport - Varadero, Cienfuegos and Holguin. My passport has never been stamped - there is always a separate piece of paper you get on arrival to keep and hand in on departure.

I have got really good last-minute all-inclusive deals from selloffvacations.com or one of the other tour operators advertising in the Toronto newspapers. The package originates from Toronto and it seems like there are a few Americans on board each flight. There doesn't appear to be any problem for Americans getting into Cuba.

The diving on the south coast seems to be a little better - this is the leeward side of the island. I remember doing a great dive close to the Rancho Luna resort near Cienfuegos, descending in a canyon between two huge coral reefs down to three small sunken military craft lying upright in the sand at 161 ft. deep with a water temp. of 82F and vis of about 100 ft. - just awesome. But don't expect to see many large critters - I think they have been mostly fished out for food. I have not been able to get any tanks for shore diving from any resort I've been to - they only want you to do boat diving - I'm sure for security reasons.

The cost for a diving holiday is very reasonable right now, but I suspect that, later, when relations are normalized, as Americans pour in with investment money for new hotels, etc., costs will rise dramatically.

SStrecker:
I would strongly advise you not to go to Cuba at this time. The reward is not worth the risk. Just bide your time; old man Castro is bound to die one of these days. Then, it will quickly become a legal and popular tourist destination.

Unfortunately Raoul is still well, and a lot of Fidels job is done by the little brother. The blokade makes them a good excuse for every miserability in Cuba and they thank Ochun and US government for that...

Many opinion could be expressed about Cuba here by many people of many origins and many information sources.

I'd rather not start on that subject because it will never end like all the DIR no-DIR threads.

But it's true that once the Country will be open to big investments, the costs will rise dramaticaly for a lot of reasons but it would be too long to explain. It will then become like the newly called "mexican Riviera Maya". Those who went there before the '90s and went back recently will understand...

drbill:
Are those fighting words?

No need to wonder when the Internet has given us the electronic version of the famous Babelfish.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

I think this works at least as well as the Google translations but it is very literal.

The State Dept is cracking down on Americans travelling to Cuba thru Canada. The common ploy is to not have your passport stamped. The S.D. has become wise to this. Don't know how they can tell, but they're not playing around. My brother went a few years ago, thru Mexico, didn't get caught. My advice would be to wait til the US stops playing politics. That's what i'm doing, but I'm running out of patience.
Good luck.

wardric:
But it's true that once the Country will be open to big investments, the costs will rise dramaticaly for a lot of reasons but it would be too long to explain. It will then become like the newly called "mexican Riviera Maya". Those who went there before the '90s and went back recently will understand...

That will eventually happen, but with it will come an impact on the economies of other Caribbean countries when they lose a big chunk of their tourists to the biggest island in the Caribbean. I suspect that the Caymans in particular may take a heavy hit, as people already complain about the high prices there.

shiro85:
That will eventually happen, but with it will come an impact on the economies of other Caribbean countries when they lose a big chunk of their tourists to the biggest island in the Caribbean. I suspect that the Caymans in particular may take a heavy hit, as people already complain about the high prices there.

sounds logical. I didn't think about that effect.

baydive20:
you could swim. it's only what 90 miles from key west.

Depending on how hard you can kick, about 40-50 hours of bottom time should do it. You'll need a HUGE tank, and quite a while decompressing. This would not be covered under the PADI dive tables. There are probably a couple of cave divers on here that could hook you up, though.

Lisa0825:
I won't even try it. I've been to enough protests to definitely have file, so I'll stay squeaky clean!LOL

bleedingheartliberalcommielover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Back
Top Bottom