Is the Liberty at Bali really a must see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope it helps

Attachments

• Liberty.jpg
    Liberty.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 55
Definitely recommend the Liberty. I am not a huge wreck dive fan - don't like dark and dingy spaces - but the Liberty is pretty much wide open, so less of a chance of getting tangled up or cut. Other critters worth mentioning not previously mentioned: pygmy seahorses (have seen Denise and Bargibanti at the Liberty, but not a sure thing); leaf scorpionfish; and flashlight fish at night if you turn off your dive light.

Also recommend that you stay in one of the resorts on Tulamben Bay, for two reasons: (1) as already mentioned, you get in before the hordes arrive from elsewhere; (2) the local dive guides who dive these sites almost daily are most up to date on what's out there to see and where, not just at the Liberty but at the other two divesites in the bay. Coral Gardens is excellent for macro stuff.

I stayed at Tauch Terminal, which at the time of my last trip there (2003) was the shortest walk to the Liberty. Also a word of caution: unless things have changed dramatically, the beach/shoreline is not sandy but mostly rocks, pebbles and basketball or greater-sized boulders. A pair of thick-soled booties are nice to have for walking down the beach and for water entry.

Definitely recommend the Liberty. I am not a huge wreck dive fan - don't like dark and dingy spaces - but the Liberty is pretty much wide open, so less of a chance of getting tangled up or cut. Other critters worth mentioning not previously mentioned: pygmy seahorses (have seen Denise and Bargibanti at the Liberty, but not a sure thing); leaf scorpionfish; and flashlight fish at night if you turn off your dive light.

Also recommend that you stay in one of the resorts on Tulamben Bay, for two reasons: (1) as already mentioned, you get in before the hordes arrive from elsewhere; (2) the local dive guides who dive these sites almost daily are most up to date on what's out there to see and where, not just at the Liberty but at the other two divesites in the bay. Coral Gardens is excellent for macro stuff.

I stayed at Tauch Terminal, which at the time of my last trip there (2003) was the shortest walk to the Liberty. Also a word of caution: unless things have changed dramatically, the beach/shoreline is not sandy but mostly rocks, pebbles and basketball or greater-sized boulders. A pair of thick-soled booties are nice to have for walking down the beach and for water entry.

No things have not changed (Oct 07) the beach (mountain range) is still the same. In fact I took a tumble wiliest exiting the water fully equipped and a large camera set up (my fault). I bent my thumb back and boy did it swell up but one massage from one of the local Lady's and I was back in operation again.
We stayed at Mimpi resort a first class operation and enjoyed it so much we will go back again, my wife also was taken with the Coral Garden.

Definately recommend a few days there.
The wreck is nice but the house reef @ Tauch is excellent. Lots of nice macro in black sand. Also sharks patrol the house reef. During the afternnoon dives at the end of the dives we would always wait at the same spot for 5 minutes to see some small sharks(white tips i think).

I'll nominate Aquamarine also and well, you know my feelings about this location... DO IT!

Night dive on a full moon if you can swing it and an early morning dive as the sun comes up... spectacular.

Don't forget the very real possibility of seeing a whale shark here... The drop off or the wreck are both good for this.

Chris

I have dove that in the afternoon 3 or 4 times and never had a problem with vis or crowds...perhaps I was lucky.

my husband and i saw a mola mola early morning at the wreck..an amazing sight. I love the wreck there is just so much to see.

Did two dives on USS Liberty and I'm glad I did. Both times had an amazing school of thousands of jacks -- a sight I'd never seen before.

While the diving was great, Tulamben was not. There were really no non-diving activities and the town was way too sleepy. In fact, we left a day early just because of the dullness of the town.

Back
Top Bottom