Is the Liberty at Bali really a must see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If possible go faster than anyone else early in the morning. It's the best time to enjoy.

Its a nice wreak. Not as intact as those in Palau, Philippines or Truk but a pleasant dive.

I wasn't overawed by it but if you're in the area its worth doing. I found the macro on nearby black sand sites such as Seraya's Secrets more interesting.

The two times we've dived it we have been the only divers in the water.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Sorry to take this a bit off topic, but the comments about diving the Liberty after four have me interested. We're spending a week in Bali next summer between trips to Lembeh and Komodo. Our primary purpose is surfing not diving. But surf tends to get blown out by afternoon, so afternoon trips would be doable. If we're staying in Canggu, are there afternoon dive trips worth making? Is the Liberty reachable from there?

I did not have any desire to to do it twice, although it was so easy, I wouldn't miss it. I think I'd wait for better viz, photography WA -wise.

I did not ask any questions about the tides, or best viz times. That is what I would do differently next visit. On the up side, it is pretty shallow, so lots of bottom time if you are striving for a certain shot.....

I think you could swim out from shore. It might be a good freediving site.

Sorry to take this a bit off topic, but the comments about diving the Liberty after four have me interested. We're spending a week in Bali next summer between trips to Lembeh and Komodo. Our primary purpose is surfing not diving. But surf tends to get blown out by afternoon, so afternoon trips would be doable. If we're staying in Canggu, are there afternoon dive trips worth making? Is the Liberty reachable from there?

FYI reubencahn it is a minimum 3 hour drive from Canggu to Tulamben where the Liberty is. So not really doable.
regards
wayan

Is the USS Liberty really a must-see? All descriptions talk about it being absolutely packed with divers.

For a diver like myself, who's already done wrecks in New York as well as WWII wrecks in Philippines and Pulau, is it worth it?

Your opinions?

NYC, it's not so much the wreck itself that is impressive but all the fishlife/ coral that it has attracted (not much of a wreck left really to look at vs what you see in Coron). Plus there are some great little critters to found in the surrounding sand. I would definitely do it again. Only recommendation would be to stay at a resort out there so you can get a morning dive in before the daytrip masses arrive.

FYI reubencahn it is a minimum 3 hour drive from Canggu to Tulamben where the Liberty is. So not really doable.
regards
wayan

Wayan, any good dives accessible from Canggu? If not, I'll be dragged along shopping in the afternoons.

impressive but all the fishlife/ coral

yes, stunning anemone and clowns, huge in fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom