Is the Liberty at Bali really a must see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYC-Diver

Reaction score
Is the USS Liberty really a must-see? All descriptions talk about it being absolutely packed with divers.

For a diver like myself, who's already done wrecks in New York as well as WWII wrecks in Philippines and Pulau, is it worth it?

Your opinions?

Is the USS Liberty really a must-see? All descriptions talk about it being absolutely packed with divers.

For a diver like myself, who's already done wrecks in New York as well as WWII wrecks in Philippines and Pulau, is it worth it?

Your opinions?

Yes... Beautiful site with tons of great macro and in general a nice school of jacks...

YES!!!!!! dove the liberty wreck(2 dives followed by a shore dive on the dropoff) after a liveaboard trip to raja ampat this past march. the diving exceeded my expectations. if time permits, i'd highly recommend a day trip to nusa penida as well. we(16 divers) used aquamarine diving services; well organized, terrific guides and excellent boats,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

YES.. must do,but try to make a nightdive aswell.

It would be a shame to not do the Liberty if you have already made the effort to get to Bali. One of the better overall dive sites there. Its big enough that it takes a few dives to really get aquainted with. Ghost pipefish close to the bow, nice school of jacks usually around, big groupers hanging out, nudibranchs, with garden eels and fearless sweetlips on the shallow top, along with more of the usual suspects.

And if you can stay in Tulamben, it is possible to have the wreck almost to yourself if diving before 9:00 AM or after 4:00 PM since the crowds usually come on day trips. Even though the vis tends to be a bit murkier and the marine life a bit less active, it can be a wonderful dive at the end of the day after everybody has left.

We dove the Liberty in 2006 and again in 2007. The first time I thought, "What's the big deal" and wouldn't recommend it. The second time, was uniquely the opposite. It was very good. I don't know what happened in the intervening year to me or the dive site. There is plenty to see. Morays, ghost pipe fish, giant potato cod and the ever present school of jack, beautiful soft coral. Very worthwhile.

Yes Yes Yes...do the Liberty...I have done it about 5 times....really a nice dive plenty to see.

Absolutely a must do, personally wrecks by themselves do not do much for me it is the life around, on and in that is fantastic. A fantastic Dive

Back
Top Bottom