Is "the first rule of Scubaboard is that you don't talk about Scubaboard?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I obviously post with my real name, and think everyone should...

You haven't had any real-life stalkers, have you? :shocked2:

I use my first name, that should be sufficient. Except there's only one other person with the same name in Toronto who is a diver that I know of.

When conversation comes up with other divers that has been covered on SB (everything), I usually direct them to certain forums for more info. Also if someone is looking for info on certain areas to travel to or a dive op to use in any given area, I direct them to the regional forums. Scubaboard is a great resource and I use it myself at least on a daily basis if at all possible.

When I was in Utila in July, we had just arrived at the resort and were filling in paperwork in the restaurant/rec area and somebody called from across the room "Which one of you is oreocookie from Scubaboard?". It was kinda weird at first, but at the same time kinda neat. Generally though, anytime I've mentioned SB, the people haven't heard about it, but I kinda think some geographic areas are more "SB-populated" than others, with my area being one of the areas with fewer members (a language issue maybe?). Now that I have almost all my own gear, I'll have to make a more serious attempt to dive with some of the SB locals.

The forum anonymity does make me more outgoing, but I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't want to say in person. It's definitely a resource for me for great info, great photos, discussions (arguments?) and entertainment, but you do sometimes have to have some idea what you're talking about or asking about in order to know whether a response is credible or the person is full of it. Fortunately for brand new divers, we've got a lot of knowledgeable members and many who will call out those who are full of it.

So far I've mentioned scubaboard to a dozen divers or so. I think 3 of them were already scubaboard members, though not especially active and a couple others knew of it but weren't members. I haven't gotten a "negative" reaction, per se, just not a good one either.

I've dived with 3 different members, and they all seem like fine people to me. I will continue to talk about it, and I may even buy a scubaboard hat for my upcoming spring trip. Hell, I'll be in the keys so perhaps I'll even try to find NetDoc himself... I think he's down that way, right?

So, my personal opinion is now a bone headed claim? This is just the sort of thing that I mean.
You can like or dislike ScubaBoard all you want. You, however, made the bonehead claim that there is no "follow up", which is patently false. Your statement of what you thought was fact has been challenged. That was not an attack on you, but on your idea.

In fact, when mud is being unfairly slung, users will tell us by hitting the "Report Bad Post" button. If an entity needs to respond to allegations they are contacted and told that people are talking about them. Whether they choose to engage or not is not up to us. Most of what Moderators do is to follow up when people feel maligned. Look what happened here. A friend of mine pointed out your post as unfairly flinging mud on the moderators of ScubaBoard. I choose to respond to a single comment of yours, ie your boneheaded claim. If you make a statement that slimes an entire community, don't be surprised if someone takes exception to it. I count at least three so far that disagree with parts of what you stated.

So, it is not OK for me to "slime an entire community" (which I have not) but it is acceptable for you to engage in name calling? hmmmm.... And yes, there are a few that agree with you, but if you read all of the posts you will also see that a number can see my point of view as well. Perhaps you should reread the thread, I think it is in the DIR folder, about 'Why are we so mean?'.

You have worked hard on Scubaboard, as have many others, I respect your efforts and what you have created. I feel you are just upset that I do not hold Scubaboard in the same light as you. I am not slinging mud, it is my heartfelt opinion, and it remains.

I have volunteered for the Beneath the Sea trade show for about 15 years now and have been promoted to the level of Senior Director. I realize the show is not everything to everybody, despite all of the countless hours I put in. While I do take the criticism personally, however if that is how someone honestly feels, then I do not take offense. Communication is what is understood by the listener, not necessarily what is meant by the speaker (or typist as it were).

SeaCobra:

There are some excellent people here on SB and I do enjoy some of the discussions. But, I hesitate to refer to it as a resource, more just entertaining. New folks especially need to be careful as I have seen some real crap and wrong information posted. There isn't any accountability. If someone "grinds their axe" about a particular company or product, there isn't any follow up. I have seen where some good folks have had mud slung their way.

Just like dive buddies it is worth the time to seek out the good posters here and I will continue to browse the boards.

I see your point, but consider these. If I walk into a dive shop, and just the owner working the desk and I are there, and we strike up a conversation, let's say he tells me:

1.) That he believes Brand A dive computers are much higher quality & easier to use than Brand B, and...

2.) That diving air down to 150 feet is no big deal, just fine, he's done it at the Blue Hole off Belize a bunch of times.

What accountability is there? What follow up?

Now, let's stay I go to the Suunto or Oceanic sections of this forum and post that one or the other is more durable & has a better interface across a range of models. Or I go to the Advanced section & share that my local dive op. is telling me deep diving on air down to 150 ft, instead of the usual 130 ft, is fine and safe as long as I watch my air supply & use a big tank, and that nitrogen narcosis in such conditions is over-rated.

Am I not likely to trigger some people contesting these views?

ScubaBoard is an online forum, sort of like a virtual meeting room, and only as good as the posters who choose to participate in a given topic. That said, it seems the open public nature of it affords some (not perfect) quality control, and the large & involved membership quality info.

Richard.

There are some excellent people here on SB and I do enjoy some of the discussions. But, I hesitate to refer to it as a resource, more just entertaining. New folks especially need to be careful as I have seen some real crap and wrong information posted. There isn't any accountability. If someone "grinds their axe" about a particular company or product, there isn't any follow up. I have seen where some good folks have had mud slung their way.

Just like dive buddies it is worth the time to seek out the good posters here and I will continue to browse the boards.

Scubaboard does not lack for diversity and that sometimes (often with the right subjects) leads to opposing views, friction and even hostility. Yes, users need to exercise due care in what they accept as fact. But to say it is not a resource is off base. I'd venture to say that I have learned more and received more help here on Scubaboard than than I have ever received from any other scuba resource.

And I'm sure I have pissed off my share of participants as some of my views might be considered a bit extreme by other members.

So, it is not OK for me to "slime an entire community" (which I have not) but it is acceptable for you to engage in name calling? hmmmm....
You have the right to slime our community just as I have the right to call you on your Shenanigans. To be clear: I didn't call you a name. I called your contention bone headed. IOW, I attacked the idea and not you. Why do people make statements and then get so confrontational when people disagree with them? Are you that threatened by the disagreement? Not only do you take criticism personally, you take disagreement personally as well. You first complained about people not being held accountable, and now you are complaining for being held accountable. Which do you want?

The best part about having your understandings and beliefs challenged is that it helps to refine them. Personally, I find such an exchange invigorating as I try to understand reality as it applies to me. I have no qualms in postulating certain things, and I don't mind if the criticism I engender for it is a bit acerbic. Even gold needs the heat of fire in order to become more valuable and so it is with our assumptions and conclusions. In the same regard, the dross never likes the heat and withers away complaining about it all the while. Sharp disagreement is part of the accountability you seem to think is lacking. Yet another myth put to rest here.

Oh yeah, before I forget again... I did call:
:gans:​

"There isn't any accountability. If someone "grinds their axe" about a particular company or product, there isn't any follow up. I have seen where some good folks have had mud slung their way."

Yep, many a manufacturer, LDS, charter, or member, on this board and some who aren't has had someone make a negative comment about them. In nearly everyone I've read, Members or Mods have come in to challenge the statements; requesting sources, data, and other info for verification. On one occasion, when the direction was heading downhill for the OP, Pete came on and let everyone know that "Dog-piling" was not a positive response and appeared bad for the SB community. I'm being repetitive here as I believe it has been already stated well enough, but; what the hell, I'm bored and slightly Rummed up! :wink:

Thank god for Rum

Back
Top Bottom