Is "the first rule of Scubaboard is that you don't talk about Scubaboard?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, one of the first things I will do with people I meet on dive charter boats, is to ask them if they are on scuba board.... I obviously post with my real name, and think everyone should...I don't think people should hide behind fake identities, and say or act in a manner they would not in person..

I think Scuba Board IS the most valuable resource of all the dive related medias in existence today, as it allows the free and easy relaying of all information to a huge number of divers--far exceeding the critical mass required for the 6 degrees of separation idea to get important ideas out to the vast majority of divers.

Personally, one of the first things I will do with people I meet on dive charter boats, is to ask them if they are on scuba board.... I obviously post with my real name, and think everyone should...I don't think people should hide behind fake identities, and say or act in a manner they would not in person..

Sometimes there's a reason to ... I've actually had my livelihood threatened from a ScubaBoard member who I frequently disagree with here. Fortunately, he was unsuccessful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Of all the divers I have met and dived with threw SB, there have only been a tiny handful that I will never dive with again. Well over 90% of the SB members I have met are great folks, and even most of those who I have had, er, ah, "heated discussions" with, I find that I enjoy meeting and diving with when I get the chance.

As different as we all may be, and as much as we may bicker and argue over some things, we all have one thing in common that sets all of us apart from the majority of people on this planet: We have discovered the world beneath the water, and enjoy sharing it with others.

I have picked up a ton of good information on SB. I keep coming back to pick up new stuff. There are some very helpful and knowledgable people and when I see them posting in a thread I always try and read their stuff. The crew from the Pacific NW in particular are very good to read.

There is another faction that is very opinionated, and damn it they are right and they will let you know! They can be down right rude and insulting to posters. Most threads that go beyond about 5 pages will have them in there. I frequent some dirtbike and photo groups that don't get as negative. But if you can pick through those posters there is lots of good info here and appreciate netdoc and his crew running the site!

Because of that I selectively talk about SB to those that I think will understand the dynamics.

I think Scuba Board IS the most valuable resource of all the dive related medias in existence today, as it allows the free and easy relaying of all information to a huge number of divers--far exceeding the critical mass required for the 6 degrees of separation idea to get important ideas out to the vast majority of divers.

I agree with you completely, except you will find very few commercial divers who post with their real names.
If you get onto either Offshore Diver or Longstreath, a lot of what we write about is how to hold our employers and the oil companies accountable for our safety and for procedures. Ensuring established protocol is followed, and trying (often in vain) to keep wages stable.
Some guys in the early days had their employers respond in a very wrathful way, hence protected identities online.

Scuba board is fantastic, and Dan, its great to have guys like you on board as contributors.

FWIW, everyone who knows me knows I am Bombay High. Its my name on all boards. :wink:

When I do "stand-ups" at Dive Shows or SCUBA Club meetings, they always list my name and then "aka RoatanMan on SCUBABoard" . Yes, it does draw folks in closer!

At Dive Shows, the SB Booth occasionally hands out SB Name Stickers and you can write your name on them and walk around. It is amazing the numbers of people who participate.

What could be better than meeting a SCUBABoarder.... CheddarChick even brought me a brick of cheese. Yumm.

The vinyl oval sticker looks good on my thermal big-boy sippy-cup mug, something I always have in tow on dive trips.

Well for those who need HOG or Edge Gear AND SB stickers I can help. At DEMA a stack of the big oval ones were dropped off at the HOG booth. Now I am something of a pack rat. I saw them after the SB booth was packed up and gone. So I grabbed what I could to save them from going into the trash. The next 100 orders I get I will not only toss in HOG or Edge Gear stickers but also a SB sticker as well. Just remind me you want one when the order is placed.

For everyone who requests one and has an order over $100 I will send $1 to Pete for SB.

I have discussed SB many time with fellow divers on boats or shore. Almost without exception, every single fellow SBer has been a nice guy/gal, in person nicer than we are on-line (oops).

One thing I have noticed is that SB members are a at least enthusiast, that is diving and diving safely is important to them. They are not experts by any mean, many are rank novices or like me a weekend warrior. They seem overall to care about their diving skills and scuba is important to them and occupies more than an occasional dive here or there. This is a nice separation from a vacation diver who just want a fun experience or someone who knows it all and is not interested in learning from others.

I not only mention scubaboard to people, I have their sticker on my Scubasnobs Jeep, and have a link to them on the scubsnobs.com website, and will give them a nice acknowledgement and promotion in our next book.(no charge) This site is a premier source for divers at any level, and not sharing it is just plain wrong. You don't have to post to benefit from the information available here, but it is fun to be a part. One of my great honors is to be listed as a "best blog" here on the board- and I am excited to tell people about that. JimLaplenta is right again- don't just talk about scubaboard- evangelize- get converts. Thank you, scubaboard, for being here, and letting me and everyone else be a part.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom