Is the “Carry On Crackdown” real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I haven’t flown since last February, but have a trip coming up in January. The other day a video by a travel You-Tuber caught my attention, and one of the things they talked about was the carry on crackdown. I checked the carry on bag I’ve been using for the past 15 some odd years, and it’s ~1” taller, wheels to top, than what’s listed as acceptable. I then searched the internet for information and found a few articles on the crack down, but most were from 10+ years ago.

So, what’s the truth? Do I need to get a new carry on bag, or is mine fine? I would love to hear about personal or witnessed experiences, and not so much second hand or theories.

Erik

I haven’t flown since last February, but have a trip coming up in January. The other day a video by a travel You-Tuber caught my attention, and one of the things they talked about was the carry on crackdown. I checked the carry on bag I’ve been using for the past 15 some odd years, and it’s ~1” taller, wheels to top, than what’s listed as acceptable. I then searched the internet for information and found a few articles on the crack down, but most were from 10+ years ago.

So, what’s the truth? Do I need to get a new carry on bag, or is mine fine? I would love to hear about personal or witnessed experiences, and not so much second hand or theories.

Erik
Flew AA earlier this week with an 20 year old carry on bag which, while legal when I bought it, is now slightly too big because of the airlines abiding policy of charging more for less. No problem with the bag so far.

I travel quite a bit as well, variety of airlines, work and vacation. I haven't seen anything different with carryons lately, but there is an inverse relationship to the price of the ticket and the scrutiny of carryons. If you're flying a discount airline like Allegiant, Frontier etc, that gets a significant amount of revenue from bag fees and seat fees, trying to pass off a slightly-too-large personal item, or get a carryon bag on for free without paying the required upcharge, you run a real risk of getting pulled off to the side during boarding for a measurement and payment. If you're in the first four boarding groups in a full fare airline, you smile politely, don't make a big deal about it, aren't carrying an armload of duty free goods too, and your bag actually fits in the overhead on that plane, extremely low risk of having an inch or two of extra bag in any dimension ruin your day.

I don't fly transcontental very often, but I have heard that budget carriers in Europe scrutinize carryon luggage much more than domestic US airlines, and Asian airlines often have very limiting weight restrictions for carryon in addition to size. I wouldn't mess around at all with long haul international bag limits, but wouldn't think twice of pushing a couple inches on United or American to the Caribbean if it meant I could avoid checking a bag.

Flights in the US generally specify 22x14x9 inches and do not have weight limits. I don't think I have ever had a carry on sized or weighed for domestic travel.

International carriers may have their own size specifications may have weight limits. My wife and I lived in Switzerland for two years. We had carry ons rejected for one Europe flight and had to check those bags. We bought some smaller carry ons and never had to check them again though they were often checked in the sizer at the gate.

Obviously, at least for domestic flights, many travelers get away with oversize bags, I simply don't take that risk. There are many lists of carry on bag requirements, this is just one:

Best of luck

I definitely had some issues with my carryon and personal item in Asia, but never in US or Mexico.

Some European airlines can be a REAL pain concerning carry-on luggage. Be careful!
I’ve heard that about both European and Asian airlines, but my only international travel as of late has been Caribbean and Bermuda. Interestingly, the new Bermudian airline has a carry on size of 23x14x10 and weight limit of 22# and the checked bag total dimensions of 62” and weight limit of 70#. Too bad they aren’t all like that!

I’ve heard that about both European and Asian airlines, but my only international travel as of late has been Caribbean and Bermuda. Interestingly, the new Bermudian airline has a carry on size of 23x14x10 and weight limit of 22# and the checked bag total dimensions of 62” and weight limit of 70#. Too bad they aren’t all like that!

Some airlines in my part of the world don't count dive equipment as part of the weight allowance on their flights :p

What i have seen is some carriers are now charging for carry-ons.

Or... they are also upselling u on a 'package' that includes 'priority' boarding, 'free seat selection,' 'changes/cancellations' your checked bag, and of course the carry-on...

But it's all different by carrier, so you'll need to research as you shop.

Before Sun Country got out of the DFW-CZM business, they started charging for everything and while they came out to $50-100 less than AA, I preferred to earn my points in one place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom