Is the BP/W really the best BCD for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't really need a defined method for ditching lead if you are properly weighted. What you do is make an informed, educated, and thoughtful decision on where you want your lead that you might want to drop be located. Like positioning a d ring on the shoulder strap. I like that I determine where it needs to be, not a mfg. Same with weights. I use a belt with individual pockets. The front two I can easily drop a chunk of lead out of. Once I'm on the way up I keep going up. On the surface can drop more or just dump the whole rig. People get into trouble by overthinking too much. This is part of dealing with shops/instructors that have no idea how a BPW works, how to set it up, how to adjust it, and how to weight for diving with one. Which should come as no surprise as so many have no idea what proper weighting is to begin with or how to do it. At least that's how it seems when you see their students.

post #1 sounds like regurgitated "kool aid" spewed from a shop that doesn't carry/understand the BP/W.........

Better check your tin foil hat. They're coming...

---------- Post added January 1st, 2014 at 10:08 AM ----------

Being a recreational diver, I have one simple question: why wouldn't a jacket style BCD be perfectly fine for cave diving?

I use the axiom i3 and I find it wonderful.

Mainly because of trim issues I think. Jackets have the air bladders in the shoulders and you're wearing weights on your waist. This creates a weighting imbalance that tends to affect your trim. You need good trim to prevent hitting stuff and silting up the bottom.

A Halcyon BP/W with a single-tank-adapter places the cylinder valve & reg first stage too high behind my head; it's still too high even using the BP cam band slots instead of the single-tank-adapter, resulting in the first stage constantly hitting the back of my head whenever I look up at that huge Manta passing over head.

I now prefer UTD Z-System sidemount for single tank recreational diving, and I would now recommend for basic recreational OW divers a simple conventional jacket style or wing inflate BCD, with a lower cam band tank attachment around mid-back to prevent the "head banging" described above. . .

Last edited:
My thoughts are, just make whatever you already have work.
There's nothing wrong with any of it. A good diver can make any gear work.
If you find a great deal on a jacket fine.
If you find a great deal on BP/W fine.
The important thing is just to get your ass out there and dive.
Who cares?

And this is coming from a guy who makes plates!

Probably because the water temps you're diving is the same?

In the past 3 months I've had to resize my harness twice. From 3mm wetsuit, to Drysuit with 4th Element Drybase + Arctics, and back to Drysuit + Drybase alone.

- First you've got to size the shoulder straps just right. Too loose and you're going to have problems clipping double enders to shoulder D-rings. Too tight and its going to be a pain to don & doff.
- Next you have to ensure that the plate is perfectly straight. Takes a couple more adjustments.
- Sometimes you need to readjust the tightness again after adjusting straightness.
- Next, because you resized the shoulder straps, all the weight pouches, knife pouch, waist D-ring needs to be shifted.
- Buckle position needs to be re-adjusted to fit the thickness of undergarments
- Finally crotch strap needs to be adjusted.

I had an instructor look it over actually, but as time is limited and there were others in the class, he didn't and can't really be expected to help me get things exactly right.
Information is out there, but often contradicting.

E.g. DGE's instructions say the shoulder straps should be loose enough to allow a fist through. I tried it and it was way too loose. GUE's instructions says a palm should fit through when you're bent over 90 degrees. That's much closer. My LDS owner from another tech agency says only 3 fingers should be able to get through. Gearing up is going to be tough.

Then there's backplate height. AG hangs his very low. JJ hangs his much higher.

Problem is I am the tailor and I keep needing to re-tailor the suit whenever my undergarment needs change.

That wasn't really the issue. The real issue is availability of backplates in different sizes. AFAIK only Halcyon and DSS sells them? That's a problem for people with non standard sized backs (like my buddy).

Some instructors and sizing guides will probably say the harness is way too loose.

I think it's probably due to improperly tightened bands than because it's a single band?

With a single band, you only need to pull up so far. With double bands, you need to pull it out all the way, the entire length of the plate. When on a crowded boat with limited space, it makes a very big difference. Speaking from experience actually.

I must have missed something because I basically just put my BP/W on and dive, including moving between 3mm, 7mm and drysuit. You probably spent more time writing your description of adjustments than I have on adjustments.

Why are we all here?

What's the meaning of life?

My experience is that a BP/W is harder to use for a new diver. I like it in the water, but it is a bit of a PITA. And no defined method for ditching weight, that's a pretty big downside.

The jacket BC is definitely easier for a new diver.

- Bill

You can put ditchable weight pouches on a bp/w. I've got the diverite pouches.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2014 at 10:36 AM ----------

What's the meaning of life?

forty-two

I agree with some of the other sentiment. You can probably make any system work. That said, you could actually wind up liking a traditional bcd more. Rent one and try it! Good bcd's are pricey, which is why I was suggesting making smaller changes to your existing plate system. I will say that the LDS manager who thought bp/w would be a good idea for me dove a regular bcd last time we went out.

Being a recreational diver, I have one simple question: why wouldn't a jacket style BCD be perfectly fine for cave diving?

I use the axiom i3 and I find it wonderful.

Mainly because a jacket BC introduces a number of possible failure points to an environment where one can kill you very quickly. They are also not designed for double cylinders and though some claim to have adapters that allow you to use them the rig is not stable and secure enough to support them. Jacket BC's are fine for the recreational diver who will never do serious overhead diving. But they are not suitable for caves, advanced wreck penetration, or deco situations where the diver needs to carry multiple tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom