Is the BP/W really the best BCD for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are your thoughts?
I feel like I have just read comments suggesting that a 13" analog, black and white, antenna-linked TV (with only 3 volume settings - OFF, SOFT and LOUD) is a better choice than a 47" LED TV linked to a 'smart' Blu-Ray DVD player, with a sound bar and wireless subwoofer, because the 13" set is easier to use, requires essentially no set-up, and offers limited adjustability. OK, maybe not quite the best analogy, since the BP is such a simple rig. But, that was my reaction after reading.

The best BCD for any recreational diver is the one that the individual diver prefers. And, for some that may well be a jacket BCD. I happen to personally prefer a SS BP/W. But I also own, and periodically dive, i) a jacket BCD, ii) a soft, back-inflate BCD (Zeagle Ranger) and iii) several 'soft' BP rigs (Zeagle Express Tec plate, DR TransPac). I mention this so that my subsequent comments can be viewed in the context of an admitted bias, as well as an experience base.

1. I think your experience is not necessarily reflective of what many recreational divers encounter when using a backplate / wing.

2. I think you are massively over-analyzing the set-up, adjustment, and use of a BP/W.

3. If you don't want to use a crotch strap with your BP, or you find it cumbersome to adjust it, DON'T USE A CROTCH STRAP. Take it off the plate. There is no requirement to use one with a BP. I personally find the strap useful - it stabilizes my BCD underwater, and keeps it from riding up at the surface. To say a jacket BCD, which usually doesn't even have a crotch strap to begin with, is easier to use than a BP/W with a crotch strap, seems a bit of an odd view. Maybe, I am the odd one. I actually sewed a crotch strap attachment onto my jacket BCD.

4. If you don't want to use a 2-cam strap configuration with your BP/W, DON'T USE 2 CAM STRAPS. Take one strap off the STA, or unthread one from the slots on the BP/W. There is no requirement to use 2 cam straps with a BP/W (or with any of the 'soft' back-inflate BCDs that come with one, either). Either use only the top, or the lower, cam strap. Personally, I find using the second strap makes my rig substantially more stable particularly with longer, steel cylinders, than my jacket BCD with only one cam strap (having nothing to do with strap tightness). But, that is just me. As for changing cylinders with a rig with two cam straps rather than one: you have to lift the rig off the used cylinder, and transfer it to the new cylinder, irrespective of whether you have one cam strap or two. With two straps, you are lifting the rig all of (only) 11" higher. A number of people, with 1-strap rigs or 2-strap rigs, seem to think that taking the integrated weight pockets out while making the switch is easier on their back. I find using a weight belt is even easier than that.

5. If you find that you spend too much time adjusting the position of D-rings, DON'T ADJUST THE POSITION OF THE D-RINGS. How many jacket BCDs have shoulder D-rings to begin with? Moreover, even if they do, how many have adjustable position D-rings? To say that something which offers virtually unlimited adjustability is more cumbersome than something that offers essentially no adjustability seems to be a bit of an odd view. Yes, setting the position of the D-rings the first time may require some adjustment. And, you might find over time that you want to adjust the position of one or both. But, the beauty of the harness is that you can do that. That process - of moving two shoulder D-rings - may take all of 30 seconds.

6. If you find that a one-piece harness on a BP does not offer features that you prefer, such as a quick release, DON'T DIVE A 1-PIECE HARNESS. For minimal investment, you can have a quick release sewn into one of the harness shoulder straps, or both for that matter. (I use a local shoe shop to do the sewing, costs ~$10.) You are not required to use a single piece harness with a BP/W. I prefer a one piece harness with my wetsuit BP. I prefer having a sewn-in, left shoulder strap, quick-release with my BP for drysuit diving.

7. My primary dive buddy is 6'6", and dives the same size BP that my 5'6" wife uses. But, if your dive buddy feels that a shorter plate is needed, they can easily go online and buy one from DSS (and get a lot of help from Tobin in the process). Someone whose torso size requires a shorter plate is also someone who would probably benefit from a smaller jacket BCD, which the average LDS may or may not have in stock, and which may need to be ordered anyway.

8. I dive the same plate / harness with a 1mm, a 3mm, or a 5mm wetsuit. I make essentially no adjustments between exposure suits - I may adjust the crotch strap a bit, if going from the 1mm to the 5mm. I adjust my rig on the basis of how it feels in the water. I do not care if someone else (another instructor, or an agency) says I should be able to put a fist, or a palm, or some other body part, under the shoulder straps. Those suggestions may help guide the initial / first-time adjustment. But, after that any adjustment is made on the basis of how the rig feels to ME. I can feel when the shoulder straps are too loose, or one is longer than the other, and I adjust accordingly.

9. I now dive a different plate and harness with my drysuit. Yes, that is easier than trying to adjust the webbing on my wetsuit plate, to accommodate my drysuit thickness. My jacket BCD - which fits over all of my wetsuits, does not fit over my drysuit, so if I wanted to dive a jacket with my drysuit (I don't), I would need a second BCD anyway. When I started diving a BP, I did use the same plate and harness for everything, and adjusted the straps as needed. Not a big deal. I could now make it even less of a 'deal' if I wanted to - the new Cinch system on the Halcyon harnesses allows for easy, quick adjustment of shoulder straps. As much of a skeptic as I am about gimics (and Halcyon pricing), I have to admit that the system is really nice (I don't own one, but have tried it in the water). One of my dive buddies now uses a plate with that harness system for both wetsuit and drysuit diving, it is very nice.

10. I regularly dive a SS BP/W as my preferred recreational rig. In addition, I regularly recommend:
a. That new divers, considering their first gear purchase, try a variety of configurations, INCLUDING a BP/W.
b. That established divers, seeking to streamline their rig, consider using a ('soft' or hard) BP/W.
c. That established divers, seeking to address certain trim problems ('foot low' orientation), consider using a (metal) BP/W.
d. That established divers, seeking to remove excess weight from their waist, or from integrated weight pockets, consider using a (metal) BP/W.
e. That established divers, seeking to set up a rig that will accommodate single cylinders as well as double cylinders, consider using a BP/W.

11. I find gearing up with a BP/W on a boat to be very easy. In a sitting position, it takes less than 25 seconds (I have timed it on a number of occasions), while getting into my Ranger (which also has a crotch strap) takes just about the same time, or a little longer (unless I forget the chest strap). With the BP/W, I only have to: i) slip my arms through the shoulder straps, ii) slip the crotch strap loop over the right side of the waist strap (or clip the crotch strap to a loop on the waist strap, if my crotch strap has a quick-release), iii) thread the waist strap through the buckle and close it, and iv) stand up, and I am good to go. Well, actually on a boat, I may not be good to go. Unless I am seated at the stern end of the bench, next to the entry, I usually have to wait while the conga line of divers makes it way to the stern, and various divers randomly futz around in a manner somewhat akin to Brownian motion, before they jump in. That part has nothing to do with whether they are using a jacket BCD or a BP/W. But, it means that the benefits accrued through the simple, time-efficient process of gearing up with my BP/W may be lost in the wait.

Whatever BCD works for you is the best. Whatever you use, learn to use it to its fullest capability, 'tweak' and adjust it to suit YOU, and don't rely on someone else (including me) to tell you how it must fit YOU or be configured for YOU.

Last edited:
I'm not saying there isn't a learning curve. I watched all the YouTube videos, read all the SB threads on BP selection, setup and adjustment. It still took time, but it was time I was willing to invest prior to heading to the water. I do not know those folk of whom you speak, but as with anything worth while you get out of it what you invest in it. For those who are of the mindset that it's just a different BCD and they throw it on only to be disappointed, well, it's to be expected. Personally, I had my shoulder straps too tight and over-weighted myself for the first 8 or 10 dives. Both of these killed my SAC. Once I found my sweet spot, my SAC went back down, I could relax in the water, I can maintain buoyancy and trim at the end of the dive, even in less than 10' of water. It's evolutionary. People changing from a jacket to a BP/W must have the mindset that it will take time, practice and adjustment. Without the proper mindset, it will be a frustrating endeavor.

stop trolling, and go diving....

There's another option that may make your life easier. It should also be cheaper than getting a traditional bcd. Get several plates with different harness configurations. Unless you're in love with some particularly expensive plate, you can get them for under $100 new. I've got three, the only one that was over $100 was the one which came with a "deluxe" harness.

On that note, you may like a deluxe harness on a plate. They've got a few adjustment points that a hogarthian doesn't.

Being a recreational diver, I have one simple question: why wouldn't a jacket style BCD be perfectly fine for cave diving?

I use the axiom i3 and I find it wonderful.

My experience is that a BP/W is harder to use for a new diver. I like it in the water, but it is a bit of a PITA. And no defined method for ditching weight, that's a pretty big downside.

The jacket BC is definitely easier for a new diver.

- Bill

I have several OW students that I started out in BPW's that would disagree with you. They had more problems with the weight integrated "contraptions" that they had to rent when they decided last minute to dive on a vacation they took. Too many adjustments and they still did not fit right. And required more lead.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

2. I think you are massively over-analyzing the set-up, adjustment, and use of a BP/W.

BINGO

Whatever BCD works for you is the best. Whatever you use, learn to use it to its fullest capability, 'tweak' and adjust it to suit YOU, and don't rely on someone else (including me) to tell you how it must fit YOU or be configured for YOU.

Amen

Bob
----------------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

post #1 sounds like regurgitated "kool aid" spewed from a shop that doesn't carry/understand the BP/W.........

My experience is that a BP/W is harder to use for a new diver. I like it in the water, but it is a bit of a PITA. And no defined method for ditching weight, that's a pretty big downside.

The jacket BC is definitely easier for a new diver.

- Bill

I'll have to disagree with that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom