Is Suunto really that bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was running low on air and had to violate my Cobra deco stop by 1 minute which resulted in the Cobra locking me up for 48 hrs

This is one of the reasons I went to the Luna from my Suunto's. The Luna will calculate the times to include the air required for the trip back to the surface and also the rate of usage of the individual user based on the workload and breathing rate.

As clarification, "sadly" because their motivation should be a function of their interest in the safety of their customers for moral reasons rather than financial reasons.

Suunto's attention to "micro bubbles" and their long term potential for physiological disorders has always impressed me - and kept me using their products/computers.

It seems logical to me that their theories re: long term effects of frequent diving and/or multiple diving, despite the absence of short term indications of problems, have a lot of merit - certainly enough to leave me choosing their conservative RGBM over the more liberal algorithms. Consider what they say in this explanation of their algorithm:

http://ns.suunto.com/pdf/Suunto_RGBM.pdf

Well, I went RGBM - only Mares instead of Suunto. I saw a killer deal on the Mares Nemo Wide wrist comp and ordered it. Got it today. It's like having a 17" laptop display on my wrist - I can read it across the room. Dirt simple to use - I was getting really far without ever picking up the manual.

I thought about it a lot since I started this thread and in the end - I decided conservative. I'm also doing Nitrox cert in two weeks to add some safety margin over week-long dive trips.

Consider what they say in this explanation of their algorithm:

http://ns.suunto.com/pdf/Suunto_RGBM.pdf

I read that the other day. Gotta say I was surprised by page 5. My understanding is decompression compartments are a mathematical construct that attempts to model reality in the human body. Yet Suunto is telling me that the brain has a half life of 5 minutes, muscle is 120 and so on ?

Last edited:
By any chance, does it have any video games on it that you can play while on your safety stop?

:rofl3::rofl3:
Hey, that is special design only for Very special.... people. They don't just hand those out to everybody.:D

As clarification, "sadly" because their motivation should be a function of their interest in the safety of their customers for moral reasons rather than financial reasons.

Not to get off on a tangent--and thanks for the clarification--but it's fine with me that "financial reasons" is what drives businesses. Lawsuits are part of the way that we as a society have decided to encourage businesses to make safe products. I don't believe business should have some sort of corporate "heart" that cares about my well-being.

And now, back to the debate.

Percent RGBM was 100%. I am thinking about changing it to the 50% setting.

Back
Top Bottom