Is Suunto really that bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galvanni

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I keep reading about everyone saying to stay away from Suunto because of the conservative algorithm. Is it really that bad - for a new diver? I'd really like to consider it. I like the Veo 3.0 dual-algorithm also.

Yes. They tend to be restrictive in terms of NDL's but also in terms of penalties for missed safety stops, etc.

A conservative computer equals a safe diver... I was never taught that it was okay to blow stops.

I have a Suunto Vyper2. I love it. It's conservative setting is just adjustable enough to be comparable to the tables I run with a conservative setting of two. Why not be safer. I enjoy being underwater and I do not mind having a computer that allows me to dive another day.

The two gas switching and ease of use are also other pluses.

@galvanni: I recommend playing around with both brands of computers (Suunto and Oceanic). Heck, check out other brands as well. I've done hundreds of dives on various Suunto computers...and I've never found the conservative RGBM algorithm to be annoying. YMMV.

Be sure to pay attention to other features as well. Deco algorithm (liberal vs. conservative) is just one of many things that should be considered when purchasing a dive computer.

A conservative computer equals a safe diver... I was never taught that it was okay to blow stops.

Staying on the boat would be even safer. DA Aquamaster was not suggesting that safety stops should be missed but rather they sometimes are for many reasons...

Family and I all dive Suuntos......

Easy to use and work well..........

I would not buy another computer other than a Suunto.....I like the more conservative algorithm......

M

Staying on the boat would be even safer. DA Aquamaster was not suggesting that safety stops should be missed but rather they sometimes are for many reasons...

Staying home in bed would be even safer. You might get hit by a bus on the way to the boat!

Back
Top Bottom