Is Suunto really that bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The HW OSTC 2N? :D

Can't find an English version of their web site. Sorry, I don't speak/read German. Leads me to believe there may not be much dealer support in the US. :idk:

Thanks for the 'Flag button' tip. I didn't see it before.

So now that I've seen the page in english........... :shocked2: OMG, I'm gonna die!

From the web site:

A dive computer that is individually adaptable to your unique requirements and preferences? A dive computer for which each user can write individual programs and pass them on to other users?

What this OSTC 2N dive computer is not:
Competition for cheap mass products for the occasional diver.

What this OSTC 2N dive computer is:
An experimental platform for all experienced divers who are interested in the theory of diving and who value maximum transparency and individual adaptabily .

:shocked2: OMG, I'm gonna die! Someone please sell me a Suunto!

The following is taken from the HelO2 users manual. My comments shall be taken with a grain of salt...

a) NOT FOR PROFESSIONAL USE! Great, I'm a dive instructor and can't use the HelO2...
b) DIVES THAT REQUIRE DECOMPRESSION STOPS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED. WTF???? We are talking about a trimix enabled computer here...

So Suunto is selling me a computer that they do not belive is suitabel for the kind of diving they advertise it for - excellent :wink:

BTW, the OSTC can be dived as is, the firmware is stable and validated (at least as good as all the other computers out there) and has departed from it's original "experimental" status, it is an increasingly common sight in our (technical) dive comunity here.

@mod63 - thanks for your comments and taking my comments with a grain of salt also. :) In today's world of litigation, no one wants to take responsibility for anything, even if it is their core business.

Dive safely my friend :cheers:

BTW is your MOD 63 feet or 63 meters? :laughing:

I dive with two different Suunto models and have never had a second of trouble. Conservative? Hmmmm...I get as much dive as I want. In the Philippines, I had a 118 minute dive with BOTH of my computers blessing. I was good and ready to come up.

Yes, I may teach you not to dive sloppy. One of my computers is an old Favor which does not quit displaying if you violate it. I can always defer to it if I mess up.

wow, just found this, well I'll copy this from another thread, I posted.

I don't know if it's too late but...

I have the Suunto Vyper Air and my only complaint it's that it's too restrictive about OPTIONAL SAFETY STOPS.

Just to put into context, I was diving in a quarry 4 weeks back in a quarry.
And I was almost/ close to be out of air. 400psi at surface.

While going to the ascent point we stayed over the 20ft line so 18-17. We stayed in the line with the computer going into safety stop on/off all the time. (the limit is 18ft, so you go to 18ft the computer puts itself automatically in safety stop mode)
I was at 600psi at the moment we started the safety.

My buddy and I looking at my pressure we decided to ascend after 1min30s in the safety stop.

Because of that the Suunto Computer gave a CRAZY penalty and I had like 20min less than the other 2guys we were diving with.

20min off a 40min dive is a lot.

I've been checking here and it looks like the Uwatec Tec 2G,
1)needs you to prompt the safety stop
2)safety stop in seconds instead of minutes
3) does not penalize you if you skip a safety stop.

Keep in mind, I will ALWAYS make a safety stop, but if I need to surface and skip the RECOMMENDED SAFETY STOP because of an emergency, I'd like the computer to ignore it. I always dive more conservatively than others and I just don't appreciate the computer making it even more so.

Also, I've also read that the Suunto penalizes yo if you ascend too fast, that IMO is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom