Is SCUBA diving a sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've met a number of [usually very competative] people who've scoffed over SCUBA diving being called a sport. Personally I think it's easy to shrug off any activity that involves breaking a sweat to get a little ball in a net, but still, what are the opinions here? Is SCUBA a sport? :wink:

no

For someone like Jean-Michel Cousteau, SCUBA may only be a tool needed to get underwater to do the work or studies needed to be done and not concidered a sport. For a recreational sport diver like myself it is a noncompetitive sport similar to bicycling, snowboarding, or wakeboarding. PADI has made scuba diving the extream sport for out of shape middle aged people. So is scuba a sport? it depends on how it is used.

SCUBA is a way to breath safely underwater and manage your ascents, descents, communications, comfort and gas supply.
What I do down there, taking pictures, enjoying the scenery & wildlife, is not a sport, it's a joy.
The only sports part is the weightlifting needed before and after I am in the water.
Of course calling fishing a sport is another stretch!

I've met a number of [usually very competative] people who've scoffed over SCUBA diving being called a sport. Personally I think it's easy to shrug off any activity that involves breaking a sweat to get a little ball in a net, but still, what are the opinions here? Is SCUBA a sport? :wink:

I think you answered your own question.

hob·by1
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈhɒb
thinsp.png
i/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hob-ee]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -bies. 1.an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

sport
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/spɔrt, spoʊrt/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Any human endeavor can be a sport ... depending on how you approach it.

If "personal bests" (e.g. depth, bottom time, number of dives in a given time period) matter to you ... it's a sport.

If you keep a dive log ... isn't that a sort of "scorecard"?

If you and your friends "compare" diving adventures ... isn't that a competition?

For some, diving is a form of relaxation ... no different (though certainly more interesting) than watching TV. That makes it a recreation.

For some it's the challenge of achieving a certain level of excellence ... that makes it a game.

For others, it's a way of life ... that makes it a necessity ... :wink:

It all depends, really, on how you look at it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My name's not webster, but to me it's a sport if you can die doing it.

Seriously though, in a broad definition of what a sport is, you can say that diving is a sport. I don't view it that way.

Do I see diving as a competition? No.

Is it a diversion, pleasurable, and something few people do. Yes.

It's just a good time hanging out underwater.

In some areas of L.A., I could die just by sitting on my front porch or in my car. I don't think either activity would be considered a sport. Likewise while flying as a passenger on a commercial aircraft (gulp).

hmmm .... driving a car, having sex, sleeping in my bed... I do each of these on a regular basis and chances are I'm going to die doing one of them one day. But sports???? :no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom