Is safe second really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The old-school divers I've dived with seem to be even more clueless in that respect than most of the newer divers I've known.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I find exactly the opposite.

I find exactly the opposite.

In hindsight, that was too broad ... one of my earliest mentors has been diving for more than four decades, and that guy had eyes everywhere. I can think of a few, though, who've been diving for nearly as long who are very much self-centric. If you were to swim off and leave them on their own, I don't think they'd even notice.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

These type threads always draw the most passionate responses from both sides and usually succeed only in making everybody angry even when they forget what the original post asked.

Sorta like:

You are trying to make everybody diver YOUR way, no, buster, you are trying to make everybody dive YOUR way, and, your mother wears army shoes, no, I double dog dare you to dive without a BC and octopus--OK---tripe dog dare me, I don't care.

I think the ingrained dogmatic majority are feeling threatened by a few minimalist who don't obey the snorkel rules. Come on in people, dump the junk, the water is great!

N

If you were to swim off and leave them on their own, I don't think they'd even notice.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Is it not notice or not care? Some people are fine diving by the "same day same ocean, I have a buddy somewhere" rule. Solo diving can be fun, but it should be in the plan not to reconvene after separation.

In hindsight, that was too broad ... one of my earliest mentors has been diving for more than four decades, and that guy had eyes everywhere. I can think of a few, though, who've been diving for nearly as long who are very much self-centric. If you were to swim off and leave them on their own, I don't think they'd even notice.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I think that's fair, as we age and experentiate we become more and more ourselves ... I become a better buddy with every dive I make ... (every breath I take?) while I have known others that traipse off in exactly the opposite direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGratefulDiver View Post
If you were to swim off and leave them on their own, I don't think they'd even notice.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Is it not notice or not care? Some people are fine diving by the "same day same ocean, I have a buddy somewhere" rule. Solo diving can be fun, but it should be in the plan not to reconvene after separation.

Pitty, in some cases, possibly this case, I would wander off on purpose, in fact, I would wander off to a different ocean.

It is sorta nice diving with people who are confident on their own and don't need to check my air every 30 seconds. Just a different way of doing things, everything has it's place and time, every dog has his day.

Hey, y'all, come back here, somebody needs to check my air, oh, wait, I don't have an spg, I loaned it to someone and don't give a darn:

IMG_0665.jpg

At a incidence of 48.6 degrees light is reflected back into the water (or atmosphere) which is why we have the ring, I don't know, I just like the way it looks, like an Alice and Wonderland mirror to another dimension. Once the sun drops below the equivalent angle it is only the diffuse light, scattered light, of the atmosphere that lights our underwater world.

N

I find this whole discussion amazing, even for this place. Despite assurances to the contrary, what I see is a cowboy attitude, and someone who walked into the bar looking for a fight.

No matter what you and your buddy have agreed to be comfortable with, you often aren't the only people around on a dive. OK, it isn't likely that a panicking stranger with poor skills will need your air, but it is far from impossible.

Donating an octo or using a long hose/necklace rig is an easy way to reduce the OOG diver's task loading in an emergency situation. That little bit of extra help may be the difference between a good outcome and a poor outcome.

They say, "gear is no solution for a skills problem." I think that most divers would agree with that. However, I don't think that should be construed to mean that developing an unstoppable sub-aqua face punch and reg grab technique is superior to simply donating a reg that a frightened, unskilled diver can hang on to.

I find this whole discussion amazing, even for this place. Despite assurances to the contrary, what I see is a cowboy attitude, and someone who walked into the bar looking for a fight.

No matter what you and your buddy have agreed to be comfortable with, you often aren't the only people around on a dive. OK, it isn't likely that a panicking stranger with poor skills will need your air, but it is far from impossible.

Donating an octo or using a long hose/necklace rig is an easy way to reduce the OOG diver's task loading in an emergency situation. That little bit of extra help may be the difference between a good outcome and a poor outcome.

They say, "gear is no solution for a skills problem." I think that most divers would agree with that. However, I don't think that should be construed to mean that developing an unstoppable sub-aqua face punch and reg grab technique is superior to simply donating a reg that a frightened, unskilled diver can hang on to.
If you tend to dive off commercial boats or in crowded areas, I have to agree with you. But if you dive off your own boat in areas that are not frequented by other divers or off the shore where other don't go, that's another story.

one whom takes way, way, way more than the required amount of gear on every dive.

Well, the required gear for every dive is a tank of air and a way to get it out (a valve).

So people who dive with harnesses, regulators, masks and fins are 'gear haulers'?

If you tend to dive off commercial boats or in crowded areas, I have to agree with you. But if you dive off your own boat in areas that are not frequented by other divers or off the shore where other don't go, that's another story.

I can agree with that 100%. I am concerned for other divers, not the OP and his buddy. Rightly or not, other divers will have expectations about their gear--and then there is the skill issue. "Do it better" is not a contingency plan.

If they are off on their own, good for them. With anyone else sharing the site, it's reckless. We all have a responsibility to be a good buddy to anyone who needs us.

Back
Top Bottom