Is PADI offering reinstate to expired DM divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unlikely unless you do the abbreviated course for that period of time. If it was a just couple years, they might allow you to just pay the fee.

The form is called the "the unrenewed divemaster update"

You are required to:

Pass the two current divemaster exams
Pass the divemaster skill circuit
Pass a divemaster rescue evaluation
Be current in first aid/cpr

You could probably finish it in a weekend.

The form is not available on the Padi website, your instructor has to request it and it will be forwarded based on the cirumstances.

Last edited:
I'm not a PADI expert, but will say that right after I became inactive I received more than one e mail over the next little while. Think they were asking my why I "retired" and if I wanted to become active again. I agree with others in that though it may vary depending on how long you were inactive, I doubt there would ever be anything big to do to come back. Am pretty sure that for most it's a matter of viewing something online and paying the membership fee. They sent me a yearly thing to view and get checked off while I WAS a member. I always did it out of interest, but wonder what would have happened if I just ignored it.
One good thing about "retiring" is it came at a good time. Just prior to that, PADI decided that members would only get their free copy of that magazine (Sport Diver?) online. Yet paying PADI Diving Society non-pro members could still get the hard copy. They said it was to help the environment by cutting down on paper (well, why not just offer it online only to ALL PADI Society members?).

I have a related question.

Several years ago I became certified as a PADI DM. After a few years, I decided that I dive for enjoyment, not for employment and I decided not to renewed my PADI Membership.

As I understand it, I still hold the DM cert and can show that C-Card to a dive op as proof of my dive certification. I am however no longer "current and insured" and therefore can not take part in any activity that requires a PADI Professional.

Is that an accurate assessment or did I actually lose my DM Certification?

Last edited:
@Hoag, that is my understanding as well. I am also an "inactive" DM. I have not been in a teaching environment in 18 years, and probably never will be. My main goal when I started diving was to train and gain experience in the event I ever had to save someone else or myself. The one upsmanship in this sport turned me off so bad, I only want to dive on vacation.

I have a related question.

Several years ago I became certified as a PADI DM. After a few years, I decided that I dive for enjoyment, not for employment and I decided not to renewed my PADI Membership.

As I understand it, I still hold the DM cert and can show that C-Card to a dive op as proof of my dive certification. I am however no longer "current and insured" and therefore can not take part in any activity that requires a PADI Professional.

Is that an accurate assessment or did I actually lose my DM Certification?

that is accurate

that is accurate
Thank you.:)

We return now to our regularly scheduled thread:
Is PADI offering reinstate to expired DM divers?

...As I understand it, I still hold the DM cert and can show that C-Card to a dive op as proof of my dive certification. I am however no longer "current and insured" and therefore can not take part in any activity that requires a PADI Professional.

Careful,,,,,,,,,

Just because a DM who a victim believes may have acted below the standard of care that resulted in injuries has retired, does not mean that he/she is protected from a lawsuit. It's a real slippery slope and anyone can be party to a lawsuit. Just my opinion, but if you are retired, I'd never show that card at a dive again and not mention it either. But the lawyer's will find out anyways after a google search of this board. Like they say in the medical field, you're a doctor (or DM) for life, once you pass the exam.

Careful,,,,,,,,,

Just because a DM who a victim believes may have acted below the standard of care that resulted in injuries has retired, does not mean that he/she is protected from a lawsuit. It's a real slippery slope and anyone can be party to a lawsuit. Just my opinion, but if you are retired, I'd never show that card at a dive again and not mention it either. But the lawyer's will find out anyways after a google search of this board. Like they say in the medical field, you're a doctor (or DM) for life, once you pass the exam.
My understanding is that plaintiffs’ lawyers ask each agency whether they know of anyone on a provided list. Got to cast the net as wide as possible. It doesn’t matter what card you present.

Sorry, and hopefully back to the topic at hand.

(How come I haven’t received any of those emails from PADI? :eek:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom