Is PADI offering reinstate to expired DM divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got the following email from PADI and at first read it seems like an olive branch to many members who have let their membership expire to get back into the PADI fold and resume their old certification, providing they pay membership fees? Here's the email:

----------------
Dear Robert,

We understand that life is constantly changing and sometimes PADI Pros need to take a break from teaching. To help you get back to Active status we are delighted to let you know that the 2018 Online Member Forum is now available for you to complete.

It's so simple. First you'll need to renew your PADI Membership.
-----------------

Is this a catch or a genuine opportunity for me, a former DM, to get back into diving without starting from Open Water..?

Uhm, what do you mean starting from open water??

well, i had assumed that to get back into PADI i would would need to start over?

well, i had assumed that to get back into PADI i would would need to start over?

Every case is a little different at worst you might need to redo some paperwork and have an instructor sign you off. Depends how many years you've been inactive. It cab be as easy as reading a few pages online and sending in your money.

Cameron

There's a big difference between rec and pro levels.. Although as an instructor (not with padi) I would consider doing a very thorough refresh

I got the following email from PADI and at first read it seems like an olive branch to many members who have let their membership expire to get back into the PADI fold and resume their old certification, providing they pay membership fees? Here's the email:

----------------
Dear Robert,

We understand that life is constantly changing and sometimes PADI Pros need to take a break from teaching. To help you get back to Active status we are delighted to let you know that the 2018 Online Member Forum is now available for you to complete.

It's so simple. First you'll need to renew your PADI Membership.
-----------------

Is this a catch or a genuine opportunity for me, a former DM, to get back into diving without starting from Open Water..?
Only DM and higher are "members" of PADI. This msg has only to do with your professional status, is it active (meaning paid up and up-to-date on things like standards changes) or not? It is not related to any non-pro things, like OW.

Oh, adding this. Your open water through rescue diver certs are good for life. It's only professional certs you need to keep paying for.

If your skills are still up to the task of diving, your certification cards are still good. You just can't work as a dive master or call yourself a padi pro.

You enroll in an abbreviated divemaster course with an instructor. I did this a couple of years ago with a dm who had not been practicing for eighteen years. There is a Padi form which lists all the requirements.

I'm an expired DM of 5 years who gave up diving 10 years ago and has regretted it ever since.
The email from PADI gave me a glimmer of hope to return as a DM without extentive retraining.
i figured that perhaps if I paid my fees PADI would consider reinstating me as if I had never let my membership expire in the first place.
Am I chasing a false hope or has the ground moved at PADI HQ and they just want my fees income?

The PADI email seemed to suggest an 'amnesty' for folk like me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom