Is PADI Cavern Diver course worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I'm a PADI instructor, Marci. :wink:

Here's the big difference. PADI, as well as some other agencies allow their instructors to self-certify. What this means is after getting a certain certification and doing 20 dives post certification, as a PADI instructor I can apply for that particular instructor rating. PADI used to only require its cavern instructors be Intro to Cave certified with 20 dives post cert. At that point they sent in an application for cavern instructor as well as a credit card number and a couple weeks later a new instructor card came in the mail. PADI has changed the standards so its cavern instructors have to at least be full cave now, but they can still self-certify. There are still Intro to Cave PADI cavern instructors since they were grandfathered in when PADI changed the standards.

NACD and NSS-CDS both require long internships and instructor examinations before an instructor can become a cavern or cave instructor. The internship involves working with 3 different instructors through each level (cavern, intro to cave, apprentice, and full) and then going through the 2 day instructor examination that is staffed by 2 additional instructors. So by the time the process is done the new cavern instructor has been evaluated by 5 different experienced instructors.

It's rare that I will accept a PADI cavern diver into an intro to cave class because their skills aren't up to the standards I and most other cave instructors who teach for the cave agencies expect. This means if you take a PADI cavern course from a PADI only instructor you will likely have to repeat the cavern course if you decide to move beyond that level. I will accept a PADI card from other instructors that I know are also NACD or NSS-CDS instructors because we all teach the same course. So at that point it doesn't matter what card you get. It is about the instructor. Just make sure the instructor does not only teach for a recreational agency.

Most Cave instructors I have ran across in my travels have pretty much had a bunch of training agencies on their certifications.

i have not *taken* a padi cavern, but i have *seen one taught*. with a couple of exceptions like jim wyatt or maybe rob neto (are you padi cavern, rob? that's my hold back, not you, but if you teach padi cavern...) - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. oh my god, did that class suck to high heaven, all 15 or so of them with one instructor all in peacock cavern at once. if that's a possibility, for you to get that instructor, please don't go there.

it's the instructor, not the card, and horrible ones are out there. so seek out some excellence for yourself!

15 students..with one Instructor..

A recipe for disaster IMHO.

Glad I was not there.

Rob nailed it. You need no special training in teaching in overhead environments to become a PADI Cavern instructor. Personally, I don't want to be put in a position of being stressed in an overhead environment, except under the supervision of someone who's had some training in how to handle students who get disoriented or panicky in that setting. If someone can also teach for other agencies, he's had that kind of training, and there is nothing wrong with the PADI cert except that it won't take you any further.

Here's the big difference. PADI, as well as some other agencies allow their instructors to self-certify. What this means is after getting a certain certification and doing 20 dives post certification, as a PADI instructor I can apply for that particular instructor rating.
Rob is exactly right,this is why most cave instructors frown on PADI cavern cards. Before PADI recognized the marketing bonanza to made with tech diving,they allowed intro instructors with post training dives to be able to teach the course,which was a huge mistake-a cavern is still overhead,and we still see people die in places like the Ginnie cavern. PADI has grown up some with their understanding,but the PADI enigma still exists. When it comes to overhead don't skimp!!! Find the best instructor out there,someone who lives close to the sites,and does it all the time;in that case the agency really doesn't matter.

i have been wanting to do some over cave-diving in Florida and was wondering if PADI cave diving course should be the way to go or should I go for courses by cave egencies? Some people have told me to go with more serious certifications but at this point deep cave penetration is not what I am interested in. I just want to get a taste of what cave diving would be like and whether I should invest my diving budget money in it or something else.

Is there a lot of difference between Intro courses offered by Cave Diving agencies and PADI course? I head that PADI course teaches using recreational scuba whereas dedicated cave diving courses have specialized equipment as a pre-requisite?

Lets say that I take my PADI course and would like to proceed to more advanced courses. Since PADI does not teach them, would Cave diving agencies have any respect for PADI card or would I have to learn everything all over again?

Any input and suggestions would help. Thanks so much.

So based on the feeback you got, what is your decision and when do you aim to get down to N. Florida to begin training?

@ Doppler: I have chosen to go with propoer cave diving agencies. I have established contact with some instructors and I am now putting together a small group so that we can get certified together. Thanks everyone for your help.

@ Doppler: I have chosen to go with propoer cave diving agencies. I have established contact with some instructors and I am now putting together a small group so that we can get certified together. Thanks everyone for your help.

Great. Good choice.

My instructor was a NACD and PADI instructor, we did the cavern course in doubles with AL40 deco bottles. Your instructor can tune the course to fit your needs regardless of the agency. Pick your instructor, not the agency.

My instructor was a NACD and PADI instructor, we did the cavern course in doubles with AL40 deco bottles. Your instructor can tune the course to fit your needs regardless of the agency. Pick your instructor, not the agency.

What was the purpose of the deco bottles? You are working with rules of 6ths and no deco according to the standards.

Besides, it's not like you are going to tote those around on a cave dive.

Back
Top Bottom