Is PADI Cavern Diver course worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i have been wanting to do some over cave-diving in Florida and was wondering if PADI cave diving course should be the way to go or should I go for courses by cave egencies? Some people have told me to go with more serious certifications but at this point deep cave penetration is not what I am interested in. I just want to get a taste of what cave diving would be like and whether I should invest my diving budget money in it or something else.

Is there a lot of difference between Intro courses offered by Cave Diving agencies and PADI course? I head that PADI course teaches using recreational scuba whereas dedicated cave diving courses have specialized equipment as a pre-requisite?

Lets say that I take my PADI course and would like to proceed to more advanced courses. Since PADI does not teach them, would Cave diving agencies have any respect for PADI card or would I have to learn everything all over again?

Any input and suggestions would help. Thanks so much.

You're post seems a little confusing but... I'll take a stab at it, I would say, it highly depends on the instructor in regards to the PADI cavern course! I have heard that some cave instructors look down on the course, but that they just evaluate you as they would any other student in the water to make sure you are squared away.

PADI vs. the Cave Agencies at least in the Cavern course all allow the use of recreational gear except for most of the cave agencies/instructors recquiring a long hose. I'm not sure about PADI's stance on this.

I would recommend taking a cavern course from one of the cave agencies as you're more likely to get quality instruction.

Take it from a cave agency from a reputable instructor that lives in the area and teaches frequently.

While fun and just in intro, cavern diving is serious business. Don't skimp.

I haven't had a padi cavern diver pass my Intro to Cave class yet, without serious remedial class... ie redoing Cavern Class.

There are some padi instructors like Jim Wyatt who would do an awesome job teaching you cavern and give you a padi card. But Jim Wyatt is also an IANTD, NSS-CDS, NACD, NASE (am I missing any) instructor as well. I can promise you, your card might say PADI on it, but he'll be teaching you the NSS-CDS program. With that said, you better have your ducks in a row, because if you suck, you'll not pass the class the first try.

If your heart is set on a PADI card, call Jim. If card doesn't matter, call me. I'm in Cave Country every weekend teaching some class.

You can reach Jim at cavediveflorida.com or you can reach me at ultimatecavediving.com. We work together frequently.

The Cavern and Cave courses are great and really make you hone important skills like bouyancy, trim, and reel drills that are important in every diving environment. But it is about the instructor and what he/she brings into the class from their own experience and training. What they put into the class and what you take out of it is ultimately more important than the agency. You will find that most really good, recommended Cave Instructors teach for multiple agencies and will even give you an option of which card you want (NSS-CDS, NACD, PADI, NASE, etc.) and rest assured when you get that card from someone like Jim Wyatt, you have met the highest level of standards, not just the minimum.
Here is a review of my cavern class:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cave-diving/376927-cavern-class-capt-jim-wyatt.html

Your best bet for developing the skills that you will need for diving any overhead environment is to first take some sort of quality technical diving preparatory course that will focus on trim, buoyancy, propulsion, valve drills, gas sharing, etc. Then, take those quality skills into the cavern zone where you'll learn to refine the techniques to meet the shape and composition of the environment while at the same time learning to properly use primary and safety reels in high flow and low flow. Agency doesn't normally matter. Nor does the location of the instructor. What matters is the instructor and how dedicated that instructor will be in demanding the best from you in attitude and performance while teaching you how to best enjoy and preserve the environment for others and the future of the sport.

What Trace said.

I had a similar conversation with a student last night -- he had just returned from Mexico and fell in love with the caves. He wanted to know "How do/should I get there?"

The answer - do as much training as you can in OW -- UTD Essentials, GUE Fundamentals, (insert agency) Intro-Tech -- but make sure you get an instructor who will keep the bar high. Learn the "Fundamentals" of technical diving -- non-silting kicks, task loaded buoyancy control, back kick, basic line running, task loaded no mask drills, get comfortable with doubles including solid valve drills, S-drills and did I mention task loaded buoyancy control? (OK guys, what am I leaving out?). Once you are comfortable in Open Water with these, THEN start your cave training.

Well, I don't know the PADI cavern course.

And not trying to sound like a commercial..but I just finished my Cavern class with Jim Wyatt.

I have also spent some time doing spring dives with one of his fantastic Instructors.

I would recommend the cavern class to anyone who wants to go in the cave direction.

It has been the most rewarding and challenging courses/classes I have taken. There is no playtime.

It's about safety, buddy skills, line drills, reel work etc. You WILL learn about diving and learn things about yourself as well.

You will learn the seriousness of cave diving. And whether or not you want to progress to cave.

Me..I am going to keep doing the cavern thing for a year and practice.

I'll be doing the CDAA course (in Australia) over the PADI course for sure. Considering the way PADI marketed their tech/rec instructor status it sounds as if they will accredit anyone with a set of twins as a tec/rec instructor.

the CDAA looks to be a great thorough course.

i have not *taken* a padi cavern, but i have *seen one taught*. with a couple of exceptions like jim wyatt or maybe rob neto (are you padi cavern, rob? that's my hold back, not you, but if you teach padi cavern...) - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. oh my god, did that class suck to high heaven, all 15 or so of them with one instructor all in peacock cavern at once. if that's a possibility, for you to get that instructor, please don't go there.

it's the instructor, not the card, and horrible ones are out there. so seek out some excellence for yourself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom