Is my rubber hose showing signs of fatigue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys, i noticed that my LPI hose is "tender" near the crimp (sorry for the lack of a better word). It creases when bent. The other side of the hose is fine. I have been using this hose for 2 years.

Is this something to be concerned over?

_20150727_145242.jpg

That's not uncommon, it's usually just the outer sleeve. Personally given that are relatively cheap I "might" replace it but I don't think it "looks" like an immediate concern. I have a few hoses that look the same. If it's causing any anxiety replace it, peace of mind is priceless. How old is it?

From what I can see in the photo it doesn't look bad, but it's only a photo. The good old rubber hoses are pretty tough.

I wouldn't worry about it. just don't bend it the other way a bunch of times, they are subject to fatigue failures. That doesn't look bad, has a few years left in it.

When was the last time you had your regs checked out by your LDS? If it's a concern better to err on the side of caution and get a trained/experienced set of eyes on them personally.

I have hoses that look similar to that but then again...it's only a photo. I can't say for sure.

Thanks for the input everyone. The reg set has not been sent for inspection yet (I plan to do that on at year #2, coming up in January).

From what I gather, the hose doesn't raise anyone's immediate concern, so I'll find at my convenience someone to look at it in-person.

Thanks for the input everyone. The reg set has not been sent for inspection yet (I plan to do that on at year #2, coming up in January).

From what I gather, the hose doesn't raise anyone's immediate concern, so I'll find at my convenience someone to look at it in-person.

I will add one more vote, based on the photo, that the hose is probably "ok". I have a few that look like that.

However, to play Devil's Advocate, I should tell that I've had only one hose failure in almost 40 years of diving. That hose actually looked better than the one in your picture; in fact it looked completely "normal" to me (but was an older hose; probably 15 years old). It failed dramatically, at the crimp, actually just slightly inside the crimp.

In my case it was a HP hose that failed, and failed on the surface when I first turned on the air... my feeling is this is the most likely time for a hose to fail, when it is first subjected to a sudden increase in pressure as you turn on the air... but the possibility does exist that it could fail underwater as well. The failure may begin as a slight leak, but hoses can just rupture without warning at/near the crimp as my hose did.

Again, I think your hose looks "ok", but keep this in mind.

As others have said, I would need to actually have the hose in front of me and examine it carefully before I'd be confident in saying it was "ok" (although I do believe yours is ok).

If you are not confident in your ability to make the determination on your own, then do have someone look at the hose for you before you dive again.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom