ATOMIC SS1 inflator regulator question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johndiver999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a big fan of the AIR 2 inflator/regulator for my type of diving, so I am not interested in another pissing match thread over how these things are dangerous.

Anyway, I have a few Scuba Pro Air 2's, a few TUSA clones that seem absolutely identical and also an Atomic SS1. I always assumed that they would all function pretty much the same, however I just noticed a big difference with the ATOMIC.

Basically, when I try to orally inflate it (the SS1) , it is nearly impossible with the inflator hose disconnected because the inflate "nozzel" just vents most all the air. The air 2's and Tusa do not do this.

I have seen people dive with an Air 2 and no inflator hose hooked up (for whatever reason) - again not interested in discussing the wisdom of that, but the device works as a simple BC inflator which is operated orally.

Is this a normal way for the SS1 to not really work with no hose connected? If someone were to forget to attach the hose or have it pop off underwater or on entry because it was not connected (for example), this could be a huge problem because the BC could not be orally inflated.. unless of course you knew to manually block the inflator nipple,nozzle while blowing into the inflator.

Is this a necessary consequence of some sort of seat saver which opens the valve when no air pressure is supplied from the hose? Or is my particular unit messed up? My SS1 seems to work flawlessly during a normal dive and the buttons all operate very smoothly and without a lot of force.

. So, in other words, on my SS1, if I try to orally inflate (with no hose hooked up) it acts like the inflate button is being simultaneously pressed and vents air out the nipple/connector. If it is the normal way they operate, it does make me a little nervous

From the manual page 17: Operation of the SS1 is the same as any conventional inflator. Pneumatic inflation is done by depressing the smaller, oval shaped inflation button. Deflation is done by holding the SS1 overhead and partially depressing the larger deflation button. The SS1 can be manually (orally) inflated by fully depressing the deflation button and exhaling air into the mouthpiece. Fully depressing the button seals off the regulator exhaust valve and directs the exhaled air into the BCD to inflate it. Release the deflation button to keep the air in the BCD (Fig. 9).

Edit: this sounds so crazy I just checked it again. Same thing. IF I do orally inflate with no hose and by manually blocking the inflate nipple and then release the deflate button, the BC holds air fine None leaks from the inflator nozzle.

Mine doesn’t do that and I have 3 SS1’s You probably need a service. I had a small crack in one of the orings which when i orally inflated some air would come out the bottom exhaust port when I blew in.

Dave

If you’re holding the big button all the way down it should work, if it doesn’t it needs adjustment or service.

Thanks, for the quick response. I know if you don’t hold the deflate button down completely, air leaks from there around the deflate button and comes out the exhaust valve. Sometime the orings and shaft on that button on the air 2 get crusty and you need to clean - or press really hard. Doesn’t seem to be the case here, but I guess it is good to know mine has an issue and it is not a design flaw.

So strange, because it seems to work effortlessly and breathes extremely well too. Again thanks for the info.

They do breath well, it may just be something interfering with the button, hard to say for sure without having it in hand.

I don't pass judgements on the way people dive, but why is this a concern if it only happens when the hose is off?

I prefer the SS1 over everything but the newest generation of Air2 as far as Octo/LPI combos go

Well since mine seems to be a malfunction and I am aware of it, it is not a big issue. But as I mentioned in the initial post, what if someone jumps in and the hose was not connected properly? Then they press the inflate button and nothing happens. they are sinking and think no big deal, then they try to orally inflate and no air goes in the BC. Not a good scenario?

Since you confirmed that you know that a leak is normal if you don't hold the exhaust button down completely, and that the leak is only coming from the bcd connection, this problem is due to a tuning error.
With a floating seat, the orifice is not held against the seat by a firmly screwed in part, but by Intermediate Pressure. Without that, as you already know, you can suck the valve open and have air come in through the bcd connection with no hose connection, because the minimal pressure of the spring and seat against a floating orifice is not enough to overcome your lung suction. And when you exhale (to blow up your bcd), the spring force should be enough to allow the "toilet seat" of a valve to flop down over the knife edge.
But if your reg was tuned rather stiff, the nut is screwed in enough to raise the lever to compensate for the spring compression that was applied by the knife edge. Now, when the hose is disconnected, the floating orifice may slide back so far that it never contacts the seat when you exhale and apply pressure.
Have your shop tune it lighter, and make sure there aren't more than a couple of threads showing when they're done.
20220904_144623.jpg

Wow, thanks. I was wondering if the floating orifice issue was associated with the problem.

Just not to start a new topic. Does anyone know if SS1 can be used for diving in water near freezing temperatures?
UPD: Answer from Atomic support - The operational temperature of the SS1 is greater than 4 degrees Celsius.

Back
Top Bottom