Question Is my AOW class “normal”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some Adventure Dives that IMO are an exception to the valuable training experience, such as fish ID
I believe the Fish ID experience was one of the more valuable portions of my AOW experience. IT had a great impact on my future diving experiences.

Research has shown that the ability to identify something by name has a huge impact on memory. People who do dives without the ability to identify the ocean life they see by name finish the dive with a memory of seeing fish. People who can identify them by name end the dive with a memory of specific fish at specific moments.

They also learn more than names, especially as knowledge grows on subsequent dives. They see a certain fish darting about erratically and know that it is a sergeant major protecting its eggs, and the eggs are the purple patch behind it. A diver getting attacked by a tiny little fish understands that the damsel fish is protecting its patch of algae. That fish in the tail-down position is preparing to be cleaned by cleaner wrasse.

It changes the nature of the entire dive.

Wow, didn’t expect so many replies so fast.

My end goal is to be a better diver, which is why I asked the question. I really care about my diving ability and was hoping AOW would give me the opportunity to work with an experienced DM to advance my skills past basic beginner.

I’m hoping things improve and I learn more on the upcoming dives. Thanks for all the input!
AOW is a very popular topic on SB and has been discussed many, many times
I prefer the SSI way of doing AOW. 4 specialties and 25 dives to be considered AOW. I do believe it should be certain specialties though like nitrox, deep, nav, night, S&R etc.

Hey if you like that, then PADI's Master Scuba Diver is even better: 5 specialties and 50 dives! Plus, the prereq is Rescue, for which a prereq is AOW. :cool:
I am also in favor of a minimum dive number and/or training requirement for more advanced certifications, The PADI AOW and SDI Advanced Adventure Diver don't mean much.

The PADI and SDI Master Scuba Diver certifications are very similar. The PADI Self Reliant Diver and SDI Solo Diver are also reasonably similar.

I believe the Fish ID experience was one of the more valuable portions of my AOW experience. IT had a great impact on my future diving experiences.

Research has shown that the ability to identify something by name has a huge impact on memory. People who do dives without the ability to identify the ocean life they see by name finish the dive with a memory of seeing fish. People who can identify them by name end the dive with a memory of specific fish at specific moments.

They also learn more than names, especially as knowledge grows on subsequent dives. They see a certain fish darting about erratically and know that it is a sergeant major protecting its eggs, and the eggs are the purple patch behind it. A diver getting attacked by a tiny little fish understands that the damsel fish is protecting its patch of algae. That fish in the tail-down position is preparing to be cleaned by cleaner wrasse.

It changes the nature of the entire dive.
+++

One of the most valuable courses I ever took was Dive with the Naturalist, Fish ID and Behavior, with Jerry Ligon in Bonaire in 2008. My wife and I spent the morning in the classroom with Jerry and then did over an hour on Bari Reef. This non-certification course really changed the nature of my diving and increased the enjoyment manyfold. I've been working on my fish ID and understanding of their behavior ever since. I'm sorry that others can no longer have this experience on Bonaire :(

+++

One of the most valuable courses I ever took was Dive with the Naturalist, Fish ID and Behavior, with Jerry Ligon in Bonaire in 2008. My wife and I spent the morning in the classroom with Jerry and then did over an hour on Bari Reef. This non-certification course really changed the nature of my diving and increased the enjoyment manyfold. I've been working on my fish ID and understanding of their behavior ever since. I'm sorry that others can no longer have this experience on Bonaire :(
I can see how Fish ID and related courses can be very valuable and definitely worth taking. I have always said these type of courses should not be counted toward PADI AOW of MSD. I don't think they improve one's diving to any real degree-- yes, there can be ecological advantages. Nor do they really improve one's safety. Just my opinion.

I can see how Fish ID and related courses can be very valuable and definitely worth taking. I have always said these type of courses should not be counted toward PADI AOW of MSD. I don't think they improve one's diving to any real degree-- yes, there can be ecological advantages. Nor do they really improve one's safety. Just my opinion.
Why does every course need to improve your diving, or increase your safety? Isn't it OK to have some courses that increase your knowledge or enhance your enjoyment? Skills are more than just efficient finning or use of a lift bag.

You're wrong. not every good or important course needs to contribute to your safety. There are many other important aspects of diving.

Edit: @tursiops beat me to it, not uncommon.

I rescued my instructor who had a cardiac event on one of my AOW dives.
Would this count as an adventure dive?😁

I rescued my instructor who had a cardiac event on one of my AOW dives.
Would this count as an adventure dive?😁

Yes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom