Question Is my AOW class “normal”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s not AOW. It’s Advanced. There is a difference.
Yes, advanced adventurer is the sampler and AOW is advanced open water. You have to pay for AA but you automatically get AOW after completing 4 specialties and 25 dives so there’s no point in paying for the AA.

The SDI Advanced is NOT equivalent to the Padi sampler platter AOW. The SDI sampler platter of Advanced Adventure is equivalent to PADI AOW.

Advanced Open Water is not part of the SDI terminology. SDI Advanced is Advanced. Not Advanced Open Water.

after the AOW class, you have "advanced" your open water training. You learned more (advanced) about how to be an Open Water Diver.
But the Cert card you get after completing AOW does say “Advanced Open Water Diver”…:stirpot:

The SDI Advanced is NOT equivalent to the Padi sampler platter AOW. The SDI sampler platter of Advanced Adventure is equivalent to PADI AOW.

Advanced Open Water is not part of the SDI terminology. SDI Advanced is Advanced. Not Advanced Open Water.
Never said it was, I’m talking SSI. We’re on two different pages.

We just completed our AOW in Cozumel, we were fortunate to have a very good instructor. Besides Nav and Deep, we did PPB, Drift & Boat Diving, during each of our dives we continued to work on PPB, plus deployment of SMB at the end of each dive. Tried to work on different elements along with each of the primary objectives. We also were able to complete our Nitrox on our last dive day. We completed extra dives to complete the Drift diver specialty. Overall a very good experience in Cozumel.

Yea no point in paying money for the “sampler.”
I'll take the other side of this. There surely are many who don't aspire to be anything more than recreational divers and who simply like to dive when visiting places that provide an opportunity to do so. I'm not going to keep taking scuba courses just to take them. I took AOW for no reason other than having it in case some op said it was needed for them to take me on a deep dive, a wreck, or on any of a number of dives considered advanced. I can't say that it has done anything for me to date - think I've had it for 5-6 years - paying for the "sampler" is like an insurance policy to me...just in case I need it.

Just an interesting side note: When I researched dive ops in Cabo and the Gordo Banks dive trip (considered an advanced dive), I found one op who indicated AOW was needed, another op stated that a prior day of diving was needed with them before they would take you, AOW not necessary, and the op that I actually dove with just said I could go if I wanted to do the dive (but I had already dove a few days with them), AOW not necessary. Just depends on the op.

Hello ScubaBoard,

I’m taking my advanced OW course right now, and I’m wondering if mine is normal? We just do 6 dives with the instructor, and each dive covers a different topic. After 6 dives, we are certified ‘advanced’.

For example, for peak performance buoyancy, we practiced swimming through hula hoops in a current for 20 minutes. For deep dive, the instructor is taking us to 100 ft to see if we experience nitrogen narcosis. We are doing navigation and search/recovery the same day in a muddy bad viz location. One night dive, and I’m not sure which the 6th dive is.

Does this sound like everyone else’s experience? Just curious what other AOW classes look like.
Depends on the agency. From the description, I'm guessing PADI, but could also be Naui, I believe. That sounds typical for PADI. PADI AOW is really an intro to each of those specialties.

I did my AOW through SSI. SDI approach is similar. Their approach is that AOW is not a certification, but a recognition. There is really no AOW class, or test. Instead, the AOW is recognition of completing 4 specialties. In my case, when I decided to finally get AOW, I decided to take Deep, Night/Limited Viz, and Navigation upon recommendation of my instructor. I already had EAN, so only needed the 3. Each specialty was handled as separate, though largely at the same time. Separate learning modules, tests, and dive requirements.

SSI is the same thing. Master = 4 specialties + rescue + 50 dives.
1 key difference between the PADI approach and the SSI/SDI approach.
A typical PADI progression would likely be OW --> AOW. Then, if they decide to continue to Master, they need to complete the 4 specialties + rescue. AOW doesn't = 4 specialties, though if EAN is one, I believe they'll only need to do 3 + rescue.

A typical SSI/SDI progression would also likely be OW --> AOW/Advanced. Then, if they decide to continue to Master, they just need to complete 1 more specialty, likely rescue unless that was done already.

Back
Top Bottom