Question Is my AOW class “normal”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And clearly, the OP falls into this category. They took a "advanced" class and have the obvious feeling that when they finish, they won't be much more advanced than when they started.
Isn't this the way most responding to this thread would hope they feel so they don't go out thinking they're better than what they are? Because really, they should feel this way but hopefully also feel like they had some fun, having enjoyed it enough to follow it up with more diving and/or training.

Everyone is going to differ on this but I still find it hard to believe that people go into the AOW course with the thought that they become advanced - as in they magically became an expert in diving (although apparently, some do) .

I prefer the SSI way of doing AOW. 4 specialties and 25 dives to be considered AOW. I do believe it should be certain specialties though like nitrox, deep, nav, night, S&R etc.

Wow, didn’t expect so many replies so fast.

My end goal is to be a better diver, which is why I asked the question. I really care about my diving ability and was hoping AOW would give me the opportunity to work with an experienced DM to advance my skills past basic beginner.

I’m hoping things improve and I learn more on the upcoming dives. Thanks for all the input!

Wow, didn’t expect so many replies so fast.

My end goal is to be a better diver, which is why I asked the question. I really care about my diving ability and was hoping AOW would give me the opportunity to work with an experienced DM to advance my skills past basic beginner.

I’m hoping things improve and I learn more on the upcoming dives. Thanks for all the input!
Just dive dive dive and dive with divers better than you. You’ll improve in no time.

I really care about my diving ability and was hoping AOW would give me the opportunity to work with an experienced DM to advance my skills past basic beginner.
I think most would agree that the best thing a new diver can do is just go out and dive. You will learn a lot from others you dive with as well as from the instructors/DM's who are guiding the dives just by talking with and asking questions of them.

I prefer the SSI way of doing AOW. 4 specialties and 25 dives to be considered AOW. I do believe it should be certain specialties though like nitrox, deep, nav, night, S&R etc.
Hey if you like that, then PADI's Master Scuba Diver is even better: 5 specialties and 50 dives! Plus, the prereq is Rescue, for which a prereq is AOW. :cool:

SDI does the same. I refused to do the sampler platter Advanced Adventure, which is SDI’s equivalent of PADI AOW. I did the 4 specialties. Had something like 50 dives.

SDI does the same. I refused to do the sampler platter Advanced Adventure, which is SDI’s equivalent of PADI AOW. I did the 4 specialties. Had something like 50 dives.
Yea no point in paying money for the “sampler.” I do like how you get AOW automatically after completely the requirements.

Hey if you like that, then PADI's Master Scuba Diver is even better: 5 specialties and 50 dives! Plus, the prereq is Rescue, for which a prereq is AOW. :cool:
SSI is the same thing. Master = 4 specialties + rescue + 50 dives.

Yea no point in paying money for the “sampler.” I do like how you get AOW automatically after completely the requirements.
It’s not AOW. It’s Advanced. There is a difference.

Back
Top Bottom