Question Is my AOW class “normal”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 6 dives, we are certified ‘advanced’.
It just means that you’ve done advanced study. When I did my AOW certification (30 years ago), I had no illusions that it would suddenly make me an expert diver. But it definitely allowed me progress more rapidly. Whenever you do an intensive course of study, your knowledge and skills advance at a far accelerated rate compared to spending the same amount of time just doing the same old thing. It was kind of amusing, though, that for the deep dive at this little lake in Wisconsin, we went to 70 feet, whereas during my previous OW training in Cozumel, some of our later open water dives involved drift diving with certified divers on the wall at 90 feet (in excellent visibility with minimal exertion). Similarly, I had already done night diving in Hawaii on a lobster hunt (again with an instructor) prior to my AOW course.

Reread my post please. I said they were a learners permit. The very basics. I believe everyone should be trained to use Nitrox right from open water. It’s so basic it should be include from the very beginning.
Unfortunately, there are many locations in the world where Nitrox is not available like where I got certified and did my first 100 dives. But I did SSI "Science of Diving" on my way to AOW. Nitrox training was irrelevant after that.

Unfortunately, there are many locations in the world where Nitrox is not available like where I got certified in Cabo Verde and did my first 100 dives. But I did SSI "Science of Diving" on my way to AOW. Nitrox training was irrelevant after that.

Never mind. You’re missing my point completely. You’re right, I’m wrong. Move on.

Reread my post please. I said they were a learners permit. The very basics. I believe everyone should be trained to use Nitrox right from open water. It’s so basic it should be include from the very beginning.
not me.
Nitrox isn't available everywhere.
I’ll leave it at that, not really into
Hijacking this fellas’ thread.

Nitrox isn't available everywhere.

Being trained to use it has nothing to do with availability. It’s all theory. But clearly I’ve somehow ruffled feathers. We’ll move on.

Being trained to use it has nothing to do with availability. It’s all theory. But clearly I’ve somehow ruffled feathers. We’ll move on.
I’ve got thick skin.
I agree with your learners permit analogy, I think that’s a great way to put it, but I think Nitrox is more for those with their operator’s license.

Unfortunately, there are many locations in the world where Nitrox is not available like where I got certified in Cabo Verde and did my first 100 dives. But I did SSI "Science of Diving" on my way to AOW. Nitrox training was irrelevant after that.
Be skeptical of some of the material in the SSI Science of Diving.

Some of it is wrong. Your homework assignment is to find it.

You're wrong. not every good or important course needs to contribute to your safety. There are many other important aspects of diving.

Edit: @tursiops beat me to it, not uncommon.
I agree. And you are actually saying that my opinion is wrong (hmm). Fish ID can be a very important and I assume interesting course. But to address this and what tursiops posted-- Of course not every course needs to be about improving your diving (skills, etc.) or safety. I've always felt that courses that lead to certs. like AOW or MSD should be about these two things. This post, like all the other AOW ones, eventually gets to the "AOW doesn't mean you are advanced--like with maybe 9 course dives, etc." I look at "advanced" as having to do with dive skills and safety. That's just my opinion. I feel that unless you're talking about Blue Ring Octopi, etc. knowing a lot about fish & sea life doesn't really fit that bill. Same with PADI MSD-- Master Scuba Diver to me means your diving skills and safety skills are Masterful. Just terminology I know, but that's my view.
There is very little knowledge about anything that has absolutely no value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom