Is liquidvision out of business? Looking at the Lynx, but apprehensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I had read that. We are merely rec divers and I don't go into deco (Unless I'm using my crappy suunto) then I sometimes get deco obligations but I watch that and take it into account when determining when to ascend. My wife and I would both get them but the more I read about it, the battery issues and possible support issues I'm going to pass for now. I'll perhaps wait for the OmniX to come out. I really don't need AI and could probably just get away w/ a regular dive computer w/ a better algorithm than my Vyper. I do like the auto/accurate SAC calculations and the locator thing is a great idea especially being as I have very poor vision and lower vis makes it even worse. With that said, I wanted something for Bonaire but I don't really think I'm going to have an issue on Bonaire as they are limiting our bottom dive on boat dives to 1 hour and we can control our SI for our shore dives w/o holding anyone else up waiting for more bottom time. Couple that w/ the theft problems I read about there, I don't want to be liberated of 2k worth of gear that you can carry in one hand.

Dave

Hello. Thank you for all your questions and subsequent feedback. We are most certainly not out of business and are in fact working hard on a few very exciting new products.

In regards to the OMNIX computer, we appreciate all your patience since we announced the computer at DEMA. We are currently in testing at the moment, though we don't currently have a concrete release date. It's important to us to work out all potential issues and consider all feedback from our testers. We are progressing well and will of course post information on the release date as soon as it is available.

The price point will be roughly $1600 USD including the transmitter.

Both the Lynx and OMNIX computers will use the Buhlmann algorithm and our units calculate all deco stops and NDL limits.

Cheers.

Have you addressed the issue w/ the computer not accounting for gas needed for ascent? $1600 wouild be a tough pill to swallow unless you have another package where you can buy two in a package at a discounted rate.
Dave

Dave, regarding LV's active status and support response, I just conversed with their support today. I submitted an email through their Technical Support page on their website and received a response in less than two hours. In fact, every conversation I've had with them has been pleasant, professional, and quickly returned.

I was in a slightly similar situation as yours when looking for a dive computer. My son is my diving buddy and we're both pretty new (< 20 dives so far but working on it this summer). Locally, we dive a pretty murky lake with 10-15' viz on good days. I wanted a computer I could read in the murk without having to hit a backlight button and even with a backlight, my eyesight really gave me trouble trying to read a normal mono LCD screen. I also wanted AI and liked the idea of being able to see both my and my son's remaining air.

So, I bought two used Lynx computers with transmitters from the for sale postings here on Scubaboard. I got both setups, including one data transfer box and one rechargeable kit, for less than the cost of a single new computer & transmitter (and not MSRP - actual web/street pricing).

I registered them with LV's website and got a response acknowledging it immediately. One of the pair didn't come with a rubber donut that's required to use a rechargeable battery in the transmitter so I emailed them asking how to buy one. Even though they knew I had purchased it used, they sent me one FREE for only the cost of shipping (granted, shipping was $18 since it was from Canada to the US but that's not their fault.)

Their website is a little outdated and there are links there and in the manual that no longer work. I admit that made me wonder if I had just bought two paperweights when I first started trying to setup the computers but I think that can be attributed to uncertainty from the transition that's going on with them being bought by Huish. After contacting them several times, I no longer doubt their willingness to support their products.

I've only got two dives on the computers but so far I really like them. The compass is a little difficult to work with but I'm sure I'll figure it out with practice. I don't notice the ultrasound pinging when underwater although I can hear it above water (one of them is noticeably "louder" than the other). The AI has worked flawlessly for both me and my dive buddy. I've yet to try the locator feature. My only "big" complaint is that their dive log software really needs to be updated. It's also not supported by subsurface. You can view depth and temperature charts directly on the computer so there's always that option.

Most of the complaints I read about them when researching before buying were about the expensive batteries and battery life. If you use their disposable batteries, you'll get longer battery life but they're pretty esoteric, hard to find, and in truth expensive. But, there is a rechargeable option so I just bought another 3 sets of rechargeable batteries and plan to swap them daily. You can buy the rechargeables and a charging kit directly from the battery manufacturer for about half the price of the LV-branded equivalents (PM me if you want the battery supplier URL.)

Like I said, I only have two dives with them so far but I'd be happy to answer any other questions about them that I can. All in all, I'm pleased with my purchases.

The only experience I had with them was sending in an X1 that had issues. Their basic reply after finally getting a hold of them was, "it's a board problem, I'll sell you a different model of computer for a discount." Considering AI and batman locator beacons and little orphan annie decoder rings are non-starters for me, I had them throw it in the trash and I picked up another Shearwater.

If what they have to offer is what you're looking for, go ahead, don't let me dissuade you, in my case, the juice isn't even close to the squeeze.

oh being unsupported by Subsurface is a non starter for me IMO. I use subsurface and really like it.

Dave

The only experience I had with them was sending in an X1 that had issues. Their basic reply after finally getting a hold of them was, "it's a board problem, I'll sell you a different model of computer for a discount." Considering AI and batman locator beacons and little orphan annie decoder rings are non-starters for me, I had them throw it in the trash and I picked up another Shearwater.

If what they have to offer is what you're looking for, go ahead, don't let me dissuade you, in my case, the juice isn't even close to the squeeze.

Abandoning the X-link, rendering my X-1 as a standalone computer led to me doing the same as you.
The Xen was very nice, however. Which uses the same (or similar) case design as the Lynx the OP mentioned.

Last edited:
Dave,
For what it is worth I have a very lightly used Lynx, likely less than 12 dives on it, with a transmitter for sale in my shop. If you are interested message me for details

oh being unsupported by Subsurface is a non starter for me IMO. I use subsurface and really like it.
FWIW, it appears I misspoke here. I looked into it in more detail and it turns out that while Subsurface can't directly download from Lynx, it can import the Lynx profile data created by the Liquivision dive log software. I tried it myself last night and it worked great. The only limitation is that Subsurface doesn't appear to import the buddy air signal (only the primary diver).

What I found when researching dive computers is that if you're looking for a bright color screen with AI, your choices are really limited and really expensive. I suspect there will be a lot more choices in that market space in the near future but right now there are just a few. I've heard good things about the Suunto EON Steel but like other Suunto computers it uses their RGBM model instead of the Buhlmann (and it's also one of the most expensive). I think that pretty much just leaves the Mares Icon, the Aeris/Oceanic VTX, and the Lynx.

I don't think Liquivision is going out of business, but I have no inside information on that. I recently had a Lynx fail due to a leak just about a week before the end of the 2-year warranty and they promptly replaced the computer for me, even though the flood was most likely my fault. I also had some recent dealings with them when I wanted to upgrade the transmitter and had no problems. I like air integration and find the computer easy to read and use that was a major factor for me. I also dive at night quite a bit so wanted a computer that was easy to see in darkness without having to have to fumble for buttons while also carrying a camera. I don't care about buddy features but have at times thought the location transmitter could be useful for certain purposes like marking an exit point at night.

Like any computer it has its quirks and faults, including the battery life. I have found using Efest 16340 rechargeable batteries takes care of my battery issues. I am a rec diver who only occasionally does pretty basic deco dives and avoid "accidental" deco diving so I can't comment on the more tech aspects of the computer. I don't really rely on this or any other computer calculating my remaining air time, I just need to know how much air I have at any particular point in time and I can calculate my remaining dive time including any deco obligations or ascent time from there. That is me, and and others may reasonably differ in their demands and expectations.

At the moment I know of no air integrated wrist mount computer that I would prefer or I would buy it. If and when Atomic comes out with one I will watch and see how it does and I am interested in seeing the new Liquivision Omnix when it comes out. If I did not want air integration I would buy a Shearwater Perdix. I would not use a Suunto if it was given to me for free.

For a rec computer, the Oceanic VTX might work well. My wife has one and like it, but although I used be a fan of Oceanic computers, I am less impressed in recent years.

Back
Top Bottom