Is liquidvision out of business? Looking at the Lynx, but apprehensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not seeing much on them anymore around here. The Lynx seems have a few features I really would like to have. We are not technical divers and probably never will be. I have a suunto vyper now and have about 70 dives on it and are finding it limiting our bottom time due to its algorithms conservative nature. Aside from that I really like the vyper.
  1. Want AI (Still will retain SPG but I like the more accurate SAC calcs)
  2. Want to be able to see dive buddy air
  3. Compass
  4. Not a necessity but like the buddy locate option on the Lynx
  5. Color is nice but again, not a necessity

Perhaps you guys have other options that would fit our needs? I looked at the Shearwater Petrel 2 and Perdix and aside from no AI I really like those two computers.

Thanks much guys

Dave

I don't think they're OOB. I considered lynx when i bought my first DC and decided against it. Primarily because they seem to have a bad reputation surrounding customer service when the need arises. That's my personal opinion based on posts I've seen on scubaboard and elsewhere and nothing more - take it for what it is. There seems to me to be a higher rate of people posting with failed pressure transducers and the like, and subsequent responses from liquidvision amounting to basically "piss off".

Spec wise, it's a super nice looking computer. I agree that buddy locate feature would be awesome if it works as well as they advertise. Also, they claim to have a very fine range on the transmitter.

I guess I'll await more opinions/experiences to see if they are in fact bad w/ customer service and do have problematic hardware. Perhaps someone can recommend something else that fits my needs but I've not found much in my research.

People keep posting the SeaBear/Scubapro H3 is going to have air-integration at some point.

H3 - Scubaboard

Seabear Scubapro H3 Diving Computer

I'm pretty sure Liquivision isn't out of business either - Huish Outoors just bought them a couple years ago. Although you've got to wonder how they're positioning the Lynx etc. vs. the Atomic Cobalt (soon to be a wrist version) and the Suunto Eon Steel which they're the US distributors for now.

The seabear would be attractive if they actually release that mysterious transmitter. I have my doubts since one of their guys posted about it being released for dema 2015.... and here we are close to a year later. The H3 is very inexpensive compared to the lynx. I'm pretty sure lynx is the most expensive DC I've seen for sale.

The seabear would be attractive if they actually release that mysterious transmitter. I have my doubts since one of their guys posted about it being released for dema 2015.... and here we are close to a year later. The H3 is very inexpensive compared to the lynx. I'm pretty sure lynx is the most expensive DC I've seen for sale.

I wonder what the Omnix will cost, if they ever release it

Back when I considered the Lynx (which is evidently to be replaced by the Omnix, so check that out), I was put off by threads complaining about the battery life. Check those out in detail before you commit. If the Omnix is all it's cracked up to be, that's an issue that ought to be much improved.

Richard.

Lynx uses ultrasound which gives it the range to monitor buddy (students, tourists on a DS dive) transmitters: gas and their location. Plus to listen for dedicated locator beacons for e.g. boat. So it is to some extent apples to oranges -- it's only "most expensive" if you don't want any of those features. If you do, it's the only game in town.

Wifey definitely wants the locating feature and the ability to see each others pressure would be handy also. Is there any news/info on the Omnix? We're heading to bonaire next month and I think I want something before that. My Sunto Vyper really hosed us on our last dive trip with deeper dives putting me into deco a few times when oceanics still had 20 plus minutes of NDL. The guide we were with had dove the same dives/profiles as me too. After day 2 It was really starting to tick me off having to come up a bit to stay out of deco.

Dave

Wifey definitely wants the locating feature and the ability to see each others pressure would be handy also.
Both of these features are rendered pointless by adhering to some fundamental skills you presumably learned in your OW I class... keep an eye on your buddy and on your air!

All I'm saying is that if these are key features in your decision (and so limiting your choices), you may find that as you become more experienced divers, you may well ignore these features anyway... although rereading your post, I am assuming that "70 dives" on your Vyper may not mean you have only done 70 dives in total.

Back
Top Bottom