Is learning from PADI that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok,

I know it is very dependent on the instructor, but I see lots of PADI bashing I know some (well maybe ) is in jest, but is there really something wrong with PADI and its training or is it just that on a whole there is not much expectation and if you can do the skills in the pool at a resort and do a few OW dives you get certified to dive on your vacation?

What I am really interested in finding out is, how does PADI's professional level training measure up against other agencies?(again I realize instructor dependent for the most part) For instance things like curriculum, skill work ect... Is it really bad or worth it for someone to start someone off as an instructor?

Hope this makes sense.

Many people will say that it's the Instructor not the organization, but that's only partially true. As I've mentioned in a recent thread: In some situations, PADI fails despite the Instructor (the Instructor cannot withhold certification if PADI's minimalist requirements are attained). NAUI (and some other Agencies) succeed in most situations because of the Instructor (the Instructors ability to add to "minimum requirements"). GUE succeeds because of the Agency. The Rec I course is "at least fifty hours" and the student must be a non-smoker, physically/mentally fit and able to swim at least 300 yards in under fourteen minutes without stopping.

As you can see, it's not solely the Instructor, or the Agency in all cases. Some Agencies require the Instructor to meet higher standards, some allow the Instructor, while others prohibit the Instructor. What meets the needs of one individual, falls short for another. The choice is yours.

As far as Instructor competence is concerned, there are competent and incompetent Instructors in all diving certification Agencies. What is more important (in my view) is associating yourself with an Agency that shares your values. PADI offers a high level of quality control (in theory, the training program is the same wherever you go, despite geographical location). NAUI (and other organizations) allow their Instructors more leeway, as to what you teach / when you teach it and what is required for certification (as long as the "minimum standards" are met). This is designed to address the differences between the diving environments found worldwide. So it really depends upon how you want to teach and why you are teaching.

Last edited:
Once again DCBC wrote
As I've mentioned in a recent thread: In some situations, PADI fails despite the Instructor

OK, just how does PADI fail? What is it that is a failure despite the instructor?

Since, as far as I know, PADI doesn't teach anybody, how can it fail?

There is just so much mythology regarding PADI and its "minimal" standards and materials which unfortunately posters like DCBC perpetuate. While the DCBCs and Thals of the internet world may believe they know how to "Do It Right" -- I really wonder if it ever occurs to them that just maybe, perhaps, even just a tiny bit, they might be wrong? That maybe, just maybe, one can be a safe diver, a good buddy, without knowing how to tie a one-handed bowline or without knowing how to resuscitate a near drowning victim or even, gulp, not knowing how to read a deco table?

One last question for DCBC -- what agency is GUI?

Geetings SS and I think with your PADI cert you are fine.
In saying this I have never dove with you however as long as you keep your dives with in the skill level and experience level for your cert all should be ok.
THIS IS THE ADVANCED DIVING FORUM so you can expect to hear some comments about the Advanced nature of diving in general.
Typical OW / AOW dives non-tech environments are well within Recreational limits following the rules and regs of your certifying agency.

Yes, I recognise that this is the advanced forum, but wanted to comment on the remark about "PADI bashing" and perhaps make people aware that this can have an effect on new divers who qualified with PADI.

I have encountered a number of divers who immediately ask who you learned with and, on being told PADI, make it clear that they consider this as a somehow 'lesser' qualification or that if you wanted to learn properly you should have gone with...

There are also comments on boards such as this, hence the OP's question.

I have been diving for a few years and am not really bothered by the comments - I am happy that I am safe in the water within the limits of the diving I undertake. However, when newly qualified and being told by another diver that your training is substandard...

I would also like to point out that these are away from the water encounters from people I have never dived with - they were not commenting upon my abilities as they have never seen me in the water.

I would ask all divers, particularly when communicating face-to-face, to THINK before they criticise the training of others, particularly when dealing with those newly qualified - please don't undermine their faith in what they have been taught.

Unless, of course, you're trying to drum up some additional revenue for your preferred training agencey by persuading them to go and requalify under a different badge... :D

...OK, just how does PADI fail? What is it that is a failure despite the instructor? Since, as far as I know, PADI doesn't teach anybody, how can it fail?

If the student requires knowledge that cannot be assured by the training standards of an Agency, I believe that this is a shortcoming of that Agency. If an Instructor cannot (by Agency policy) require a student to meet a higher standard as a condition of certification, the failure is not the Instructor's, but that of the Agency concerned.

There is just so much mythology regarding PADI and its "minimal" standards and materials which unfortunately posters like DCBC perpetuate. While the DCBCs and Thals of the internet world may believe they know how to "Do It Right" -- I really wonder if it ever occurs to them that just maybe, perhaps, even just a tiny bit, they might be wrong? That maybe, just maybe, one can be a safe diver, a good buddy, without knowing how to tie a one-handed bowline or without knowing how to resuscitate a near drowning victim or even, gulp, not knowing how to read a deco table?

Has it ever occurred to you, "that just maybe, perhaps, even just a tiny bit, you might be wrong?" That Thal and I (with 85 or 90 years of diving instruction experience) might have a point? That perhaps to be a "Safe Buddy," one should know how to plan the gas consumption for the dive they are about to make? Know how to do a submerged rescue (keeping in-mind that they are going underwater with no one's hand to hold)? That they even know how to swim??? I know that this sounds overly stressful to many Instructors. Such a 'high bar' might affect profits in some way, but there are many Instructors in the industry who would prefer that the requirements were higher (or simply they had the backing of their training Agency to teach to a higher standard). I wonder if Walmart affiliates defend the Walmart corporate policy so eagerly???

---------- Post Merged at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:42 AM ----------

I have encountered a number of divers who immediately ask who you learned with and, on being told PADI, make it clear that they consider this as a somehow 'lesser' qualification or that if you wanted to learn properly you should have gone with... I would ask all divers, particularly when communicating face-to-face, to THINK before they criticise the training of others, particularly when dealing with those newly qualified - please don't undermine their faith in what they have been taught.

No one can comment on the training anyone receives (only what they were suppose to receive). As I've mentioned, there are good and poor Instructors in all certification agencies. The Instructor is critically important in providing the student with proper knowledge and ability; however it's only one component. Another factor is the course training plan and standard.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to hear that some training courses are more inclusive than others. Saying that this isn't true is depriving the student of key information. SCUBA training courses are not equal; nor are the Instructors or training Agencies. If you look closely, each has an advantage and a disadvantage depending upon ones point-of-view. Within a consumer driven Society, it is up to the customer to become informed, to compare and make a choice what best suits their needs.

Last edited:
If the student requires knowledge that cannot be assured by the training standards of an Agency, I believe that this is a shortcoming of that Agency. If an Instructor cannot (by Agency policy) require a student to meet a higher standard as a condition of certification, the failure is not the Instructor's, but that of the Agency concerned.

It seems as though you have two errors there.

1) You do not mean 'requires.' Requires means: "Need for a particular purpose; depend on for success or survival." Since PADI divers successful dive and do not exhibit disproportionate mortality (remembering that PADI certifies 950k divers a year or so), you cannot support a claim that PADI-trained divers lack anything they require. You perhaps mean they lack things you believe are important by your subjective standard. Call a spade a spade.

2) Neither an instructor, nor an agency, can "require a student" do anything. Scuba training is voluntary and a student can cease training at any time. All an instructor or agency can do is INDUCE a student. When you say 'require' you perhaps mean "induce by threat of withholding certification."

You could rephrase your paragraph in this way for greater correctness: You don't believe PADI's standards are high enough. You do believe that instructors should be able to use the threat of withholding certification to induce students to engage in activities beyond the scope defined by the agency.

Some thoughts....

1) Agency certification standards and diver education/learning are two completely distinct subjects. Learning neither starts, nor ends, with certification. It could be argued that, since real world experience is so important, getting divers off on their own building experience quickly is essential to the broader goal of diver education. To give another example: in aviation a pilot begins flying solo long before they are considered a fully educated pilot...in all honesty they are usually only considered "fully educated" when they retire...learning is a constant process.

2) People generally respond better to positive inducement. An instructor who teaches, and shares knowledge, and sets a good example, will generally have more success than an instructor who attempts to coerce by threat of withholding something.

3) If a particular instructor does not believe they can impart knowledge without coercion by threat of immediate loss to the student, there are still means available to them. As a trivial example, the instructor could charge an extra $100 above and beyond what they actually felt was a fair price for instructing the student, with the offer that students meeting the Instructor's personal standards (as well as the agency's) will have that $100 refunded. Now the instructor has $100 of force behind any coercion they use to impart their personal (vs the agency) standard. I doubt PADI would have any problem with that and some (sub?) students would probably like it too.

4) If PADI gave instructors the power to withhold certification based on personal beliefs, would that really be good? Or would it make the agency responsible for abuses of that power? An instructor could decide her students need to book a dive trip through her shop to be divers worthy of certification. An instructor could make certification dependent on going to church. An instructor could withhold certification even nastier reasons. Why would the agency want to support, or even take the risk of supporting, such coercion?

DCBC wrote
Has it ever occurred to you, "that just maybe, perhaps, even just a tiny bit, you might be wrong?" That Thal and I (with 85 or 90 years of diving instruction experience) might have a point? That perhaps to be a "Safe Buddy," one should know how to plan the gas consumption for the dive they are about to make? Know how to do a submerged rescue (keeping in-mind that they are going underwater with no one's hand to hold)? That they even know how to swim???

The simple answer is "Yes" I do wonder -- but do you?

And yes, I do believe that to be a truly safe diver, one needs to understand, at the very least, some notion of "Air Supply Management" and I do believe PADI's curriculum lacks sufficient emphasis on that point. HOWEVER, there is nothing which prohibits, or even inhibits, a PADI instructor from making sure her students have the necessary understanding to be a safe, basic open water diver. (In fact, PADI standards can be read to require such an understanding since the very basic BWRAF (PADI's pre-dive check) has as one part "A" (air) which includes the notion that the divers have sufficient air for the dive they are planning to do.)

And no, nothing you, Thal or anyone else has written has shown me that being able to raise an unresponsive diver to the surface is something that a basic open water diver needs to know. Query, IN RECREATIONAL DIVING, how many times have you, Thal, or really, anyone else, actually come upon and surfaced an unresponsive diver? I'm not saying there aren't cases, just that it is such a rare occurence that making such a fuss over this one action is stupid. BTW, in the PADI Open Water Class, the instructor certainly can teach this skill (again, why I have no idea) and it is introduced to the PADI OW Student in the video which shows the student that this can be done and how to do it (video, Module 3, minute 24).

DCBC, your last notion, regarding swimming, well, as has been discussed before, what do YOU mean by "swimming?" PADI standards require an Open Water student to swim, without stopping, without any aids, 200 yards OR swim, without stopping using fins, mask and snorkel, 300 yards. That is, to me, a demonstration that one needs to show one can swim. It is true you don't have to be a competitive type swimmer to pass the test but this IS recreational diving after all where the diver HAS fins and a mask (at the very least).

IF someone gets an Open Water PADI card without such a demonstration of the ability to swim, then it IS the instructor who has failed, not the Agency.

I'm quite willing to criticize PADI when it is deserved, but you DCBC, seem to delight in criticizing the agency when it isn't deserved (and it seems criticizing it out of ignorance and malice to boot).

Second to the last item -- I don't know any Walmart affiliates so I don't know how they respond to ignorant criticism of their employer.

Last item -- again I ask, what agency is "GUI" of which you seem to be so fond?

The simple answer is "Yes" I do wonder -- but do you?

Yes, I sometimes question what I see, hear, touch and what would normally be called common sense...

And yes, I do believe that to be a truly safe diver, one needs to understand, at the very least, some notion of "Air Supply Management" and I do believe PADI's curriculum lacks sufficient emphasis on that point. HOWEVER, there is nothing which prohibits, or even inhibits, a PADI instructor from making sure her students have the necessary understanding to be a safe, basic open water diver. (In fact, PADI standards can be read to require such an understanding since the very basic BWRAF (PADI's pre-dive check) has as one part "A" (air) which includes the notion that the divers have sufficient air for the dive they are planning to do.)

I think that this is part of the problem. There are many PADI Instructors that have to "read the standards in such a way" to allow them to provide the training that they know is required. I did the same thing when I was a PADI Instructor (until I had my wrist slapped for teaching rescue within my OW program). It seems that this is something that all good PADI Instructors do to justify themselves with the organization, rather than either convincing PADI to address these issues within the standards, or teaching for an organization where they have more freedom.

And no, nothing you, Thal or anyone else has written has shown me that being able to raise an unresponsive diver to the surface is something that a basic open water diver needs to know. Query, IN RECREATIONAL DIVING, how many times have you, Thal, or really, anyone else, actually come upon and surfaced an unresponsive diver? I'm not saying there aren't cases, just that it is such a rare occurence that making such a fuss over this one action is stupid. BTW, in the PADI Open Water Class, the instructor certainly can teach this skill (again, why I have no idea) and it is introduced to the PADI OW Student in the video which shows the student that this can be done and how to do it (video, Module 3, minute 24).

My life was saved by a fellow diver after I suffered an oxygen toxicity hit while diving a rebreather. I've dealt with unresponsive divers on three occasions; one seizure and two deaths. It happens. People have heart attacks, get bad gas, have malfunctions, some drown. Man was not designed to breathe underwater and there is no technology invented that hasn't failed. Having full knowledge of this, I believe added rescue skills are a requirement, if a reasonable level of diver safety is to be maintained. As no one can predict when these emergency situations will occur, I believe these skills should not be left for a future training course, as many divers never return for that training.

DCBC, your last notion, regarding swimming, well, as has been discussed before, what do YOU mean by "swimming?" PADI standards require an Open Water student to swim, without stopping, without any aids, 200 yards OR swim, without stopping using fins, mask and snorkel, 300 yards. That is, to me, a demonstration that one needs to show one can swim. It is true you don't have to be a competitive type swimmer to pass the test but this IS recreational diving after all where the diver HAS fins and a mask (at the very least)... IF someone gets an Open Water PADI card without such a demonstration of the ability to swim, then it IS the instructor who has failed, not the Agency.

Peter, that just isn't true. When I was eight, I could swim 300 yards with a mask, fins and snorkel. If I fell off the dock without them, I would drown. I was a non-swimmer, but would be able to pass the "PADI swim test." I would in NO WAY be safe to dive in the North Atlantic.

I'm quite willing to criticize PADI when it is deserved, but you DCBC, seem to delight in criticizing the agency when it isn't deserved (and it seems criticizing it out of ignorance and malice to boot).

You criticize? What criticizm would that be?

I've seen too many incompetent PADI divers (and some Instructors) to not question their standards (as I question other Agencies as well). I admit that there have been some changes since my 13 years with PADI, but they still maintain (in my opinion) a minimalist level of requirements for diver certification (among the lowest in the industry).

Second to the last item -- I don't know any Walmart affiliates so I don't know how they respond to ignorant criticism of their employer.

If by ignorant you mean lacking knowledge, information, or awareness? Perhaps you could correct me on the error of my ways. Like you did with the swimming requirements...

Last item -- again I ask, what agency is "GUI" of which you seem to be so fond?

If you will check the original post, you will see that this typo has been corrected. You can continue to highlight spelling, grammer, or typographical errors, but first check the use of commas in your post. People in glass houses...

---------- Post Merged at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:44 AM ----------

1) You do not mean 'requires.' Requires means: "Need for a particular purpose; depend on for success or survival." Since PADI divers successful dive and do not exhibit disproportionate mortality (remembering that PADI certifies 950k divers a year or so), you cannot support a claim that PADI-trained divers lack anything they require. You perhaps mean they lack things you believe are important by your subjective standard. Call a spade a spade.

A high number (if not the majority) of SCUBA Instructors in the World, are encouraged to add content to their training program to increase student safety. This content is a "requirement" for certification from the Agency. In other words, Instructors use their "subjective standard" to determine if the diver is to be certified or not. The purpose behind this is to increase overall diver safety. The Instructor must always act in an appropriate way that is in the student's best interests.

2) Neither an instructor, nor an agency, can "require a student" do anything. Scuba training is voluntary and a student can cease training at any time. All an instructor or agency can do is INDUCE a student. When you say 'require' you perhaps mean "induce by threat of withholding certification." You could rephrase your paragraph in this way for greater correctness: You don't believe PADI's standards are high enough. You do believe that instructors should be able to use the threat of withholding certification to induce students to engage in activities beyond the scope defined by the agency.

No one has indicated that it's acceptable for an Instructor to 'induce, or threaten" a student. This is not to say however that different Instructors/Agencies don't have different standards; they do.

1) Agency certification standards and diver education/learning are two completely distinct subjects. Learning neither starts, nor ends, with certification. It could be argued that, since real world experience is so important, getting divers off on their own building experience quickly is essential to the broader goal of diver education. To give another example: in aviation a pilot begins flying solo long before they are considered a fully educated pilot...in all honesty they are usually only considered "fully educated" when they retire...learning is a constant process.

Absolutely, we all continue to learn. As to your analogy: when you Solo, you aren't licensed to fly. This is done under the authority of law and under the guidance of the Instructor (albeit from the ground). The Instructor retains responsibility. No one gave me my Pilot's License and said come back if your interested in learning about 'Forced Landings.' It was considered mandatory and something that was 'required' to know (although no one forced me to learn).

2) People generally respond better to positive inducement. An instructor who teaches, and shares knowledge, and sets a good example, will generally have more success than an instructor who attempts to coerce by threat of withholding something.

3) If a particular instructor does not believe they can impart knowledge without coercion by threat of immediate loss to the student, there are still means available to them. As a trivial example, the instructor could charge an extra $100 above and beyond what they actually felt was a fair price for instructing the student, with the offer that students meeting the Instructor's personal standards (as well as the agency's) will have that $100 refunded. Now the instructor has $100 of force behind any coercion they use to impart their personal (vs the agency) standard. I doubt PADI would have any problem with that and some (sub?) students would probably like it too.

Again there has been no suggestion of coercion or threat.

4) If PADI gave instructors the power to withhold certification based on personal beliefs, would that really be good? Or would it make the agency responsible for abuses of that power? An instructor could decide her students need to book a dive trip through her shop to be divers worthy of certification. An instructor could make certification dependent on going to church. An instructor could withhold certification even nastier reasons. Why would the agency want to support, or even take the risk of supporting, such coercion?

To my knowledge, all diving agencies Worldwide (with the exception of PADI) use the "minimum standards" approach. The Agency places requirements that will suit a diver diving in shallow, warm water, free of wave/currents, with good visibility, often supervised by a DM or Instructor. If diving conditions locally indicate that more knowledge/skills are reasonable for the student (to maintain safety), the Instructor is encouraged to increase training and make this a requirement for certification. From a legal perspective (and to answer your question) I suspect that the Agency feels that any degree of negligence on its part is mitigated by allowing the Instructor to increase the training requirements. The other approach is to prohibit the Instructor from including it, regardless of the hazard this may pose.

If a diver training agency has a Quality Assurance system that system should, if nothing else, ensure students are getting certifications having meet the requirements. Adding components before awarding a certification is, in my opinion wrong.

This is my reasoning:
Diver A gains a qualification from agency X - their instructor included additional components before awarding the certification.
Diver B holds the same qualification from the same agency - their instructor taught the syllabus as is.

These individuals meet up on a trip. They will both assume the other has the same level of knowledge/skill. This could lead to an incident as either one could be pushed beyond their competence level. One attempting something they have no training/experience of, the other by relying on their buddy to be able to do something not included in the syllabus.

BSAC make it clear to all instructors, via the Instructor Manual and the Branch Officers' Handbook, that additional 'local' knowledge/skills can be taught AFTER the award of a diver certification, NOT as part of one (the use of a Delayed Surface Marker Buoy because most diving is on wrecks in tidal waters). That when two Ocean Divers or Sports Divers meet up on a dive trip they know the minimum capability of the other.

I
think that this is part of the problem. There are many PADI Instructors that have to "read the standards in such a way" to allow them to provide the training that they know is required. I did the same thing when I was a PADI Instructor (until I had my wrist slapped for teaching rescue within my OW program). It seems that this is something that all good PADI Instructors do to justify themselves with the organization, rather than either convincing PADI to address these issues within the standards, or teaching for an organization where they have more freedom.
You taught outside the scope of the course is why "wrist was slapped"..sort of like teaching someone to drive a car for a NY state license, but asking them to have skills for a NASCAR race..They signed up for a ow class,teach them a ow class. You can refer rescue skills during class acad/confined water presentations that once they are certified they will be taught in a rescue course. There are some very basic rescue / self rescue skills in the ow class such as tired diver tow/cramp release/alt air use/CESA..etc.

life was saved by a fellow diver after I suffered an
My oxygen toxicity hit while diving a rebreather. I've dealt with unresponsive divers on three occasions; one seizure and two deaths. It happens. People have heart attacks, get bad gas, have malfunctions, some drown. Man was not designed to breathe underwater and there is no technology invented that hasn't failed. Having full knowledge of this, I believe added rescue skills are a requirement, if a reasonable level of diver safety is to be maintained. As no one can predict when these emergency situations will occur, I believe these skills should not be left for a future training course, as many divers never return for that training.
Yes things happen..but very unusual for recreational divers on a simple follow the dm reef dive, that most get involved in.
Perhaps they never return for continue ed courses is they think they know all there is to know form their basic ow course and feel not worth the time or money, or they simply drop out of diving and go on th their next interest.

Peter, that just isn't true. When I was eight, I could swim 300 yards with a mask, fins and snorkel. If I fell off the dock without them, I would drown. I was a non-swimmer, but would be able to pass the "PADI swim test." I would in NO WAY be safe to dive in the North Atlantic.
You would NOT pass the watermanship requirement of the ow course..as it also includes ability to tread water,unassisted by swim aids,for 10 minutes..That alone shows if someone can swim or not.

I've seen too many incompetent PADI divers (and some Instructors) to not question their standards (as I question other Agencies as well). I admit that there have been some changes since my 13 years with PADI, but they still maintain (in my opinion) a minimalist level of requirements for diver certification (among the lowest in the industry).
There are bad instructors in every agency..As to the requirements of a ow certified PADI diver , the present standards fit the needs of most people that want to dive in a safe manner for the type of diving (warm water island visibility) that they wish to do. For those diving in areas of poor visibility/cold, it can fit their needs as well.They are certified to dive in areas and conditions similar to where they did their training dives.Obviously if someone did training dives in LI Sound in cold dark water in a 7mm wet suit/hood/gloves they can easily adapt to 3mm 80 degree 100ft vis in the islands. I have seen just as many bad NAUI/SSI/BSAC divers , so to say all bad divers are PADI is unfounded. Its not the agency,and its not always the instructor,but the individual diver themself that can be at fault.

A high number (if not the majority) of SCUBA Instructors in the World, are encouraged to add content to their training program to increase student safety. This content is a "requirement" for certification from the Agency. In other words, Instructors use their "subjective standard" to determine if the diver is to be certified or not. The purpose behind this is to increase overall diver safety. The Instructor must always act in an appropriate way that is in the student's best interests.

Subjective is a difficult term to use here also. A NAUI instructor may fail a student, but the same student goes to another NAUI instructor same day and the second instructor passes him..Either the student demonstrates mastery or not,it is not subjective.

We all want to increase student safety..BUT "encouraged" means one thing and "requirement means something else entirely.
I can encourage my wife to go easy on the credit card but can I truly require it??
Student must demonstrate mastery of a skill so that it can be repeated easily. If they can only do a required skill 1 time and cannot repeat it they do not pass.

To my knowledge, all diving agencies Worldwide (with the exception of PADI) use the "minimum standards" approach.
PADI has standards approach. Student either can do the skill in a comfortable, repeatable manner , or they do not pass.

The Agency places requirements that will suit a diver diving in shallow, warm water, free of wave/currents, with good visibility, often supervised by a DM or Instructor. If diving conditions locally indicate that more knowledge/skills are reasonable for the student (to maintain safety), the Instructor is encouraged to increase training and make this a requirement for certification. From a legal perspective (and to answer your question) I suspect that the Agency feels that any degree of negligence on its part is mitigated by allowing the Instructor to increase the training requirements. The other approach is to prohibit the Instructor from including it, regardless of the hazard this may pose.

Once a PADI diver is certified in ow there is a statement on their record that says they are certified to dive in conditions similar to what they certified in. PADI encourages area orientations and continue education for the diver.Its up to the individual to choose if diving is for them at that point and to go on to more training.
I would like to see ALL ow certified divers have beyond basic navigation -deep-rescue skills to earn a simple ow certification, but it ain't gonna happen. Its not any agency fault , it is the publics fault. People want to dive NOW, not have to take courses for 3-4 weeks and devote 50-60 hours to get certified to look at the fish. Cost would be prohibitive as you all know this is a business for many of us and the price of a ow course would now easily be 3 to 5 times more than what it is now,thereby eliminating many possible participants.

oly, Yeah, I agree with all of that. You have laid out a lot of specific examples. Much like a lot of the PADI OW manual, logic is the key. If you know your level of skills and ability you SHOULD know when to thumb a dive that looks sketchy. If you want to do that dive you get the additional training, thus spending the $ you would have on a 50-60 hours course. Having said that, I have always believed that at least some other rescue skills should be in the OW course--perhaps not so much as to raise the price of the course a lot.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom