Is learning from PADI that bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know many PADI instructors who are very well trained, and who offer their students quality and value. What makes them so isn't their choice of agency ... or even the instructor they chose to learn from ... it's their own commitment to putting effort into learning how to dive, ability to convey their skills and knowledge to their students, commitment to a work ethic that has them putting more than just the minimum effort required into each class, caring about each student enough to demand a reasonable level of excellence, and a genuine love for what they do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Can you become a well trained instructor while staying solely within the PADI curriculum?

A lot of the criticism may come from people who took longer and more comprehensive courses. Many of those courses were offered through schools or government organizations. If those courses were offered commercially they would be higher in cost than the standard OW class and likely many fewer people would take them. Instead you have a fragmented curriculum that is broken up into many bite sized pieces. In the end they are offering what most of their customers want.

" a good diver is always learning"
i feel that padi does a great job of giving us the tools to teach
from trying to infect new divers with the discover course
to bringing divemasters into the professional group
every diver started someplace...
and whether it was with padi,or taking breaths from uncle moe's reg when you were 12,you got into the sport
and you can go as far as your ambition takes you
have fun
yaeg

My ONLY gripe about diver certifications, and I'm sure this is the case regardless of agency is that an instructor can't say "No you're not certified" or "no, you need more pool time" or "you did not pass the AOW, you got lost on the 100 foot out & back portion of the required navigation dive."

There is nothing preventing an instructor from any agency, PADI or otherwise, from keeping working with students until they are performing skills satisfactorily.

In a recent thread in which someone was making snarky comments about certain PADI procedures, I provided this link to all the other agencies and asked him to identify any agency that did it differently. Of course, he couldn't. So when you see someone criticizing PADI as an organization, ask how any other organization is different.

A common point of mockery is the fact that PADI has a basic introductory class followed by a couple of other courses, which many say only proves that they were after more money. Can you name any agency that does it differently? In another thread in which someone talked about this the poster named another agency that he said taught one challenging class without all that followup. I almost spit my coffee on my keyboard when I read that. The agency he held up as a shining example actually has a beginning course that is less comprehensive than PADI's, followed by even more followup courses at higher costs. (The poster had, I believe, mistakenly assumed that one of the higher level courses was actually the introductory course.)

In another recent thread, someone griped about PADI's official list of specialty courses, and said another agency had a much better list, and he provided a link. he apparently had not read the lists carefully, for he failed to notice that the two were virtually the same.

There is also a lot of misunderstanding. A lot of people think that when they take courses, they are taking them from PADI, and they are paying PADI. They are not. They are taking the courses from shops and instructors who are certified to provide training that is supposed to meet PADI standards. The shops set the prices. I recently ran into a dive shop in Florida via a ScubaBoard thread that was described as charging a price for an OW course that was far above what one would expect. I didn't believe it, so I found the shop's web site and found it to be true. The price was significantly higher than other PADI shops in the same town. Their web site did not try to hide it--they bragged that the higher price they charged was worth it because of the much more thorough degree to which they trained their divers. They made it clear that they went well above the minimum, and they were apparently being quite successful doing that. All the PADI shops in that town were offering the same certification, but the individual shops were making the decisions as to how far they were going to serve their students.

Finally, I think there is a lot of mob mentality, such as you see in a school yard when a bully attacks a kid who is a common target. Once a kid gets identified as such a target, he is soon the victim of every bully wannabe in the school. People who enjoy hurting others love those safe targets. Similarly, when people see that PADI gets bashed regularly, it is fun to jump in and join the bashing. A safe target gets picked on often.

I think PADI is like McDonalds or Denny's. The value they provide isn't quality per se. That's not to say they have an inferior product but their pitch isn't "we're the best." McDonnalds claims that you can go into any McDonals on the planet and have a consistent and familiar experience. PADI claims a PADI c-card will always be recognized.

Personally, I differentiate "getting a C-Card" and "learning/getting training"... PADI controls the c-cards, instructors control the training.

I'm sorry, but this is based on your extensive knowledge of the dive industry?

As a PADI instructor, I take offence at the "value they provide isn't quality".

None of my students get "given" a c-card. They earn it by showing they have learnt and mastered the skills for the level they are at.

All my scuba certs are from PADI....up to OWSI. I'd never heard of any other agency but NAUI until I joined Scubaboard...8 years ago.
Most all of my buddies were PADI trained and none have died. Many went on to be pros in the Philippines.
I learned enough to be able to dive off my own boat where I want, when I want.
If I ever decide to cave dive, obviously I'll have to try another agency. but for now....

I am reduced to "liking" a number of posts...I wish I could put words to text like some of you can...sigh.

A
If I ever decide to cave dive, obviously I'll have to try another agency. but for now....

Believe it or not, you can get a cave diving certification from PADI.

It is a distinctive specialty offered by a handful of instructors in Florida. The training is very thorough. All the instructors are also certified to teach for some of the more well known cave agencies, so when you take the course from them, you can have a choice of what certification you want.

As a PADI instructor, I take offence at the "value they provide isn't quality".

Really? I would think you would recognize it as a compliment.

First, you aren't PADI. You are an instructor. Second, I didn't say that the quality is low. I said that quality isn't the value PADI is selling. PADI sells ubiquity and the idea that their cards are universally recognized. That is the value they are selling. Quality may or may not be present, but if it is present it isn't coming from PADI.

And if it's not coming from PADI, where does it come from? Hint: 10 letters, starts with "I"....

Who said anything about "given"?

Of all of the PADI instructors that I know and respect, I know none who have their education 100% through PADI. Nor do I know any for whom PADI is their primary teaching agency.

And I am sure you know at least 90% of instructors from all the agencies in the world, so you have a really good basis to make a sound comparative judgment.

As for me, I don't know a single PADI instructor who does not teach PADI as his primary program for recreational sport diving. I must run in that other 10%.

I would think it would be unusual to find any instructor who teaches at a high level for any agency that does not have training from more than one agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom