Is lake Travis diveable yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seabass

Reaction score
I was planning to go out tomorrow morning to windy point and was hoping that the Vis isn't too bad.

I went diving in lake travis today. The vis was pretty bad and was made worse by all the students kicking up silt. Near the stairs above 30 ffw vis was between 1 and 5 feet. Between 30-50 ffw vis was about 5-8 feet. The water had a lot of particles which pretty much killed vis. Buddy diving was virtually impossible because you could lose your buddy pretty much in the turn of your head. A couple of times I completely lost my frame of reference with regards to the bottom which was a pretty interesting sensation. Almost zero vis and no frame of reference except a compass. I except for my depth gauge (and ears clearing) I couldn't really tell if I was ascending or descending.

The water level is about 1 foot above the stairs and the water is about 5 feet onto the shoreline.

I am a glutton for punishment and will probably still go out tomorrow.

Was at the dam for about 2 hours underwater (one of my worst deco dives yet...but that is a different story) was at 55 feet for about an hour and the vis was not too bad. Also went to 100 feet and the vis was getting worse but still divable IF YOU ARE USED TO LAKE TRAVIS.

An interesting thing is there is still no thermocline(sp?) that I could notice, so until there is one there will not be a huge change in vis.

AGREE WITH SEABASS. WAS THERE FRIDAY AND SATURDAYWITH A CLASS. VISIBILITY WAS ZERO. STUDENTS GOT SEPARATED WHEN YOU COULD NOT SEE THEIR LIGHTS. AT 930 AM WAS LIKE A NIGHT DIVE

Where were you all diving? I was at the Dam and the vis was not great but it was "diveable" At 55 feet it was dark but we each had 50 watt lights so that could have helped...:)

I am planning on another late afternoon dive this week (advance student needs his last checkout) I will let you all know how it is...

I was at Mansfield Dam on Sunday afternoon. Although the viz was not all that great, I had a whopping great time. Last dive was 6/28 in Key West so that's exactly one month of dry.....WAY too long. Did the Buoyancy and Nav for AOW. Three more to go. Had great fun once I began to get trimmed properly.......YEEEHAA!!:bang:

I has the group that was all using twins....We left about 3 or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom