Is it true that Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit only good for shallow diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a 7/5 Hyperstretch in waters in the low 50's and high 40's. that suit combined with a 7mm hood, gloves and boots keep me warm.

They guy at the dive shop I bought it at did tell me that I would be slightly colder than a comparable non-hyperstretch, so just buy slightly thicker.

Like what someone else said, all wetsuits compress.

I have to admit I love my 7mil. Being in San Diego it is surely needed. We have gone as deep as 101 feet and not gotten cold. Well my hands did on the first dive we did because silly me forgot my gloves.

It is extremely easy to put on and take off. Was worth every penny for the HH.

I use a 7/5 Hyperstretch in the winters here and love it. I use a 3mm Hyperstretch suit in the spring and fall and love it, too!!!

I have had them both down past 150ft deep, and have made it back alive every time!!!

:wink:

ScottZeagle:
I have had them both down past 150ft deep, and have made it back alive every time!!!
:wink:

But did you stay warm?

I have 7 mm gold core and a 3 mm Hyperstretch... Why, because that is what fit me well. I tried both the hyperstretch and the GC 7 mm.. went with the GC because it fit better in the shoulder.

One of my buddies dives the 7 mm Hyperstretch. Get what fits you comfortably..

ChrisA:
The wetsuit material is made "softer" by blowing more gas bubbles into it and using less neoprene. A wetsuit could be made 100% non-compressable by skipping the bublles and using solid neoprene but the bubbles provide insultation. So what you want is a compromise.

The warmest suits are made of very stiff material but these have to be made custom for each diver. Off the rack suits depend on stretch to fit a range of body shapes while a custom suit does not need so much stretch.

Buy the suit that fits best. Nothing else matters as much as "fit". If you _need_ the hyperstretch material to make the suit ft then get it but if you find a suit made with harder material that fits get that one. And don't pay to much. wetsuits have a short life, 200 dives or 250 at most. So you will be buying new ones periodicaly.

Dead on target for what he says, HH is more compressable and therefore less warm at depth than other styles/brands in the same initial thickness. In addition to that the nylon laminate is an "open weave" type fabric like nylon stockings causing the laminate to be stretchier but less durable than other styles. HH in the presence of velcro will show "pilling" and "runs" much more quickly than others. The 200 to 250 dive lifespan is less on an HH.

I recommend HH for only 2 categories of customers. Kids who will outgrow anything else long before they wear it out, and people who simply can't get into a "regular" suit who don't want to go custom.

My wife has the Henderson Hyperstretch in 7 mil, it is easier to don/doff but it doesn't keep her as warm as a Henderson Gold Core would. It also doesn't dry as quickly as a Gold Core.

Thank you everybody for sharing your experience/opinions/knowledge. Now I know that the HH wetsuit really shrinks more than others. If I really can't find a wetsuit that fits me, I may have to go with HH. I have a lanky body. All wetsuits I tried at the LDS were too big around the waistline. It almost like they were made for chubby people. :-(

One of my friends who has been diving for many years told me that I should get just a decent suit. Don’t spend a lot of money on the expensive one because I’ll get fatter as I age. He claimed that he changes his wetsuit every five years (he’s been diving for about 30 years). What do you think? Is it typical to change wetsuit every five years because you get bigger?

Patrick

Hi Patrick, I have come across divers who change their wetsuit like I change my socks. I have also come across divers who have the same wetsuit forever! My thought is purchase a wetsuit that fits your needs now. Things may change in the future, perhaps not. For instance..I am..."Fluffy"...just look at my scubaboard icon and you can get the picture...my 3mm HH fits me well and it is very comfortable. I go on one or two dive trips per year, always warm water. I recently logged 30 dives in Cozumel over a course of 1 month and I added a skin near the end just to help warm up core temp a bit. By adding layers, I addressed my needs easily. Now, will I always need my present size HH? Maybe not, but, for now, in order to be the most comfortable, which can add to better diving skills and a higher level of safety, I will cross making a new purchase as that need arises. Sue Sue

I have used the 7mm ScubaPro version of Hyperstretch, and I am warmer with that than an older style 7mm two piece suit, which in theory had 14mm on the core.

One factor that has not been mentioned here is that a suit that fits you very well will be warmer than a suit that has gaps in it. A standard thought is that trapped water gets warm inside a suit, but you will be warmer if there is no water trapped in the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom