Is it safe to take acetaminophen or a Nsaid after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you have been checked for a PFO, it may change your determination of risk.

Guidelines for Patent Foramen Ovale and Diving
PFO is not associated with pain related to decompression sickness, and there is no evidence to suggest that the OP's choice of pain reliever would influence occurrence of DCS if he did have a PFO.

Best regards,
DDM

PFO is not associated with pain related to decompression sickness...

Am I to understand, from this, that DCS caused by a PFO will not result in any pain?

My point was the the masking of pain when there is a chance one might have DCS is counter productive.

Two different issues got mixed up here. A PFO can contribute to DCS. Pain relievers have nothing to do with this. A PFO has nothing to do with your original question about pain relievers. I think your statement "no worries about DCS" may have been interpreted in a broader context than your question.
oh ok thanks

Acetaminophen also has some psychological affects, including increasing risk-taking behavior:

Effects of acetaminophen on risk taking

From my layman's perspective, it looka like this is probably not a significant impact when taken within recommended dosages -- especially for someone like @Nitrox_DiverNY who's describing use only a few times a year.
very interesting never knew that it had possible psychological effects

One potential pitfall of medicating pain after a dive is that symptoms of decompression sickness could be masked, so if you suspect that you might have DCS, I'd recommend you avoid medicating it and instead seek immediate medical help.
Sometimes relieving the pain of DCS without seeking help is a conscious strategy.

I talked with a sciientist who consulted with NASA on decompression sickness issues related to space flight. He said every space shuttle went into space with a giant economy size bottle of an OTC pain reliever (can't remember whether it was acetaminaphen or ibuprofen), and not a single pill ever came back. He believed that was an indication of the degree to which the crews were bent during ascent but were afraid to talk about it for fear they would be dropped from the astronaut program.

Sometimes relieving the pain of DCS without seeking help is a conscious strategy.

I talked with a sciientist who consulted with NASA on decompression sickness issues related to space flight. He said every space shuttle went into space with a giant economy size bottle of an OTC pain reliever (can't remember whether it was acetaminaphen or ibuprofen), and not a single pill ever came back. He believed that was an indication of the degree to which the crews were bent during ascent but were afraid to talk about it for fear they would be dropped from the astronaut program.
I'm not sure how that would happen. The Space Shuttles were pressurized to atmospheric pressure. Maybe during the extravehicular activities? Duke did a lot of work in refining and testing the O2 pre-breathe process prior to extravehicular activities so maybe before that work was complete?

Am I to understand, from this, that DCS caused by a PFO will not result in any pain?

My point was the the masking of pain when there is a chance one might have DCS is counter productive.
A qualified "yes". PFO is not associated with pain symptoms in DCS. That's not to say that someone who experiences pain from DCS won't have a PFO, but current literature suggests that the PFO would not be the source of the injury. And, your point is well taken.

Best regards,
DDM

Acetaminophen also has some psychological affects, including increasing risk-taking behavior:

Effects of acetaminophen on risk taking

From my layman's perspective, it looks like this is probably not a significant impact when taken within recommended dosages -- especially for someone like @Nitrox_DiverNY who's describing use only a few times a year.

This is interesting. I think there are definitely some holes in these studies (no exclusion criteria presented, not a broad range of participants - 19 y.o college students, who likely have a higher level of baseline risk acceptance-, small-ish sample size, and in my opinion-a somewhat weak analog for actual situational risk taking). That being said, I'll be curious to see if any further data is presented.

Just curious if taking acetaminophen or a Nsaid after diving is safe since the body is still off gassing. I only get a mild headache about one or twice a year but was curious to see if I had a headache, or other pain after a dive it would be okay to take either drug. Thanks for the help
First:
Acetaminophen is not an NSAID. Ibuprofen Aspirin and Naproxen are NSAIDs.

All four of the above mentioned drugs are safe for divers. If you’re on a daily aspirin regimen though, you’re going to want to talk to your doctor about whether you have the cardiovascular health to dive safely.

Ignore comments about them being unsafe in recommended doses those are complete and utter bull crap. Stay within dosages on the label (they are actually FAR under the upper limit of the therapeutic window…). Do not drink alcohol or use another drug that metabolizes in your liver while taking a higher dose of acetaminophen. That’s where you’re going to run into problems.

With an NSAID like Aspirin, Ibuprofen or Naproxen, eat food with them or drink milk or a similar style drink to prevent ulcers and other damage to your stomach.

I don't blame them for being afraid after they dedicated their lives to training

Back
Top Bottom