Is it possible to safely keep my gear in my vehicle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lordrath1069

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am on a volunteer Dive Rescue & Recovery team in Michigan where it gets cold in the winter (below 0 F some days) and hot in the summers (above 100 F.) From late summer until now I have kept all of my gear in the trunk of my vehicle so that I could respond to any calls as quickly as possible, as running to my house to get my gear before going where needed could add 30+ minutes to my response time.

I know that gear isn't supposed to be exposed to direct sunlight or left in extreme temperatures. Is there a way to keep my equipment with me so I can respond quickly while I am at work or living life without risking damaging my equipment?

Those are not extreme. My biggest concern would be pressure rise due to heat in the tanks with a bad rupture disk combination or theft.

Keep your gear inside with you....

I would think temp extremes or possible chemicals in the car would do a number on your drysuit seals.

Those are not extreme. My biggest concern would be pressure rise due to heat in the tanks with a bad rupture disk combination or theft.
Sp you don't think it would be an issue in the winter, but summer on the hottest days would be tricky?

Could be, if you were in a different situation I would store at home but since you have to be able to respond quickly you don't have much choice.

Might wear out the exposure suits a little faster but hopefully the FD is providing them or tax right off.

Watch the tanks.

I've known several people who've kept their gear in the trunks of cars. Locked and completely out of sight, yet were broken into and everything but the car stolen.

I've known several people who've kept their gear in the trunks of cars. Locked and completely out of sight, yet were broken into and everything but the car stolen.

I did mention theft as a concern.

I think most of the gear should be fine if it's somewhat short term, I wouldn't worry about the expansion in the tanks with heat, my aluminium S80s are rated for 237bar working pressure but around 340bar total pressure. So plenty of room for some heat expansion.
My biggest worry would be a dry suit kept folded in a bag, might compress the zip over time...
I think as long as you take everything out and let it hang upright and rest every couple of days or so it should be fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom