Is it possible to safely keep my gear in my vehicle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think most of the gear should be fine if it's somewhat short term, I wouldn't worry about the expansion in the tanks with heat, my aluminium S80s are rated for 237bar working pressure but around 340bar total pressure. So plenty of room for some heat expansion.
My biggest worry would be a dry suit kept folded in a bag, might compress the zip over time...
I think as long as you take everything out and let it hang upright and rest every couple of days or so it should be fine
Ok, that is helpful to know! Thank you.

I’m in northern IL. Much of my gear (tanks, BC, fins, regs) lives in my car (SUV) year round as I live in an apartment and it’s a massive hassle to haul everything in and out. Computers, lights, drysuit, and undies get taken inside. I’m not worried about theft very much and the temps don’t bother me.

I’m in northern IL. Much of my gear (tanks, BC, fins, regs) lives in my car (SUV) year round as I live in an apartment and it’s a massive hassle to haul everything in and out. Computers, lights, drysuit, and undies get taken inside. I’m not worried about theft very much and the temps don’t bother me.
So do you think if I put the drysuit & regs (with the attached dive computer) in my dive backsuit I could leave everything else in my trunk, and take the backpack with me to leave in the car during the day and bring it in when I get home each night, or do you think even just during the day is too long?

So do you think if I put the drysuit & regs (with the attached dive computer) in my dive backsuit I could leave everything else in my trunk, and take the backpack with me to leave in the car during the day and bring it in when I get home each night, or do you think even just during the day is too long?
How much was your drysuit and computers? I paid $4100 for drysuit and both of my computers were about $1K each. Even though I don’t worry much about theft, the expensive stuff isn’t being left in the car.

Are you using personal gear? Why wouldn’t it be stored at the station in a response vehicle, trailer, boat or grab and go box or bag?

How much was your drysuit and computers? I paid $4100 for drysuit and both of my computers were about $1K each. Even though I don’t worry much about theft, the expensive stuff isn’t being left in the car.
Not only that... It's not all about the cost of the equipment, a computer has your history, yes it's somewhat easily replacable, but it's yours and only yours. And a good fitting comfortable drysuit goes beyond the monetary value, getting a new one tailored and worn in to fit you just the way you like takes a while...

About 3k in equipment. I teach at a high school and 95% of the time my car is parked & locked in a staff parking so relatively safe. It would definitely suck if it was stolen, but trying to weigh that small risk with the (also i believe small) risk of someone not being alive because i couldn't get there on time.

Are you using personal gear? Why wouldn’t it be stored at the station in a response vehicle, trailer, boat or grab and go box or bag?
We are a volunteer team so all of the gear we use is our personal gear, with the exception of spare tnaks and things like float bags. So similar to a volunteer firefighter, when I get a call I leave work and hop in my car.

Ok but I wouldn’t think you are gearing up until there has been a response with response vehicles on site. Maybe just getting a dry suit on but I am not on a volunteer dive team and no expert

By the way, it should be said that it's very admirable what you're doing. Diving rescue is a tough thing to do, both physically and mentally....
Volunteering is very brave of you and I'm glad there are people like yourself willing to jump into the water to help those in need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom