Is it a good time to buy a computer. Looks like they are old tech.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your number of dives is accurate, you are new to scuba and should probably take some time to try out a few different models before you decide what to buy. Most dive ops/ lds will rent you a computer. Shearwater Perdix seems to be one of the most advanced tech, but if you dont want or need AI and transmitter, their Perdix 2 is regularly up for sale on this board at a good price. (Full disclosure, I own them both.) There are other high end brands with ardent supporters. If you want to wait for a next gen model, whenever that might be, there are excellent serviceable models for much less money. But be careful that the manufacture still supports them. I've got an Aeris that I loved, but can't get service on it any more.

I don't know what old gear you guys are using. I put my AquaDrone in "followme" mode and it homes on the ultrasonic pinger on my tank. It pulls the tether for my GPS and satcoms, measures depth, has the standard low-resolution laser holoprojector so it can point out new species, tell me if they are within catch limit sizes, all the usual old stuff. If I bought the full-face mask, it would give me voice communications and voice control as well. What else can I guy want?

I'd go for newer technology but the AquaDrone just does everything SO well, I don't see any reason to upgrade.

I am still waiting for AquaSapien BioTech to schedule my gill and fin surgeries... this is very frustrating having to make do with old school jetfin prosthetics and a stupid big old medical tank on my back. I think the transspecies community has suffered enough disenfranchisement don’t you?

One of the great things about Shearwater products is their quality, and while new releases can be tempting, there are plenty of Shearwater customers who are happy to keep their current products and don't feel the need to upgrade. I bought an original Petrel and it has remained my OC computer and my standalone computer for dives with my CCR.

I think I'm fairly typical - in other words, I wouldn't say that everybody (or even "most" Shearwater owners) are trading in their computers for the newest model. On the other hand, there are some people who have the means and desire to stay current with the newesI model. So I do agree that the used Shearwater market gets an influx right after a new model is released, and that's the best time to buy a used Shearwater. (It's just that it's not "all" of the current Shearwater owners replacing their computers.)

IMHO, the best time to buy a dive computer is right after Shearwater releases a new computer. All the current Shearwater computer owners upgrade while others realize they theirs are old school.

Old Tec? I believe regs is even older so what is the alternative?
My equipment: Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox(1997) dive computer and Apeks DS4 + TX50(1998) regulator. They are old but still working fine.
Shearwater does not give any more information than my Uwatec that I need for diving. BTW, my Uwatec doe not even has back light!!!

Shearwater Perdix seems to be one of the most advanced tech, but if you dont want or need AI and transmitter, their Perdix 2 is regularly up for sale on this board at a good price.
I think you mean Petrel 2, not Perdix 2.

Old Tec? I believe regs is even older...

I'll see your regs and raise you buoyancy-controlling swim bladders. Pikiwedia says "sometime after 420 million years ago".

It seems like dive computers are behind the times regarding what would seem like fairly standard tech
such as connectivity, screen type, memory etc.

You're looking at a wrong price bracket. Add a zero and you'll see the ones with shiny screen and close-range radio and frills.

You're looking at a wrong price bracket. Add a zero and you'll see the ones with shiny screen and close-range radio and frills.

A huge thanks for all the replies.

I guess dmaziuk's comment highlights my confusion. Why the massive cost difference for connectivity and shiny screens when these technologies are standard and cheap on just about everything these days. As others have pointed out it may just be that its a low volume market and so the prices tend to be higher. Perhaps its also a battery life/reliability thing.

A huge thanks for all the replies.

I guess dmaziuk's comment highlights my confusion. Why the massive cost difference for connectivity and shiny screens when these technologies are standard and cheap on just about everything these days. As others have pointed out it may just be that its a low volume market and so the prices tend to be higher. Perhaps its also a battery life/reliability thing.
It is all about scale. Most divers don't realize how incredibly tiny the diving market is compared to any other consumer electronics. The development required to put all this tech into a real-time system that is pressure proof, power efficient, and highly reliable (phones are easy in comparison) needs to be amortized over a few thousand units, not millions. As an illustration, the AMOLED display that the Atomic Cobalt, Shearwater, Uemis, and others were using went away a few years back because the manufacturer could not get yields up enough to make them at a profit. The only other supplier of an equivalent screen wanted a minimum order of 200,000 per month to talk to you. That's comically out of the realm of the entire global dive computer market.
This question comes up periodically. See my posts #9 and 12 in this thread from a few years back.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...-dive-computers-so-expensive.html#post6215196

Ron

Back
Top Bottom