Is it a good time to buy a computer. Looks like they are old tech.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kobayashi maru

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Basically title. I'm a new diver looking to get a first comp so may be getting this wrong. It seems like dive computers are behind the times regarding what would seem like fairly standard tech such as connectivity, screen type, memory etc. Is a new generation on its way or should I just jump in? probably looking at Oceanic geo 2.0 or similar. Thx.

Yep, computers are old tech; the new hot thing is slide rules and ratio deco!

Just kidding. Nope, there isn't a major generational shift going on. There are dive computers that are more modern - color screens, bluetooth, etc - but they cost more.

You're considering an "older" model - Geo's have been around maybe 10? years now.

Newer tech is probably the Shearwater Perdix.It's nice in that it's somewhat modular. Also OLED

In the Oceanic line, the more expensive VTX although it's not new either - about 4-5 years old IIRC.

Another issue is a couple years ago Ocenic sold Pelagic Pressure - who makes their computers - to Aqualung = not Huish Outdoors. They also now make the newer Aqualung computer line which at first were just re-branded Oceanics - I haven't stayed up with the changes lately. Some of those models are still sold by either company.

Another "modern" design that might be of interest - Suunto EON Core and EON Steel large color display dive computers

they all cost 2-3x what a Geo does...

Last edited:
aqualung owns pelagic pressure systems, not huish

op, either spend the extra for a fancier tech computer with a color screen or live with the old tech on the basic nitrox computers. dive computers are not like smartphones and tablets. they arent sold by the tens/hundreds of millions so product cycles are far longer.

And until they can find a more reliable way to send god signals in the water without a crew topside things won't change much
Their meant to record t.o.b. depth your ndl, ascent rate, temp, deco alert and time if you go into deco.some extra features nitric and ai
Their purpose built we can't get wifi under water yet plus who wants to check facebook underwater oh yeah right my kids would.
Besides that until major innovations changethey won't change the computer much other then styling

It is difficult to compare the technology of a relatively low production device like a DC (Dive Computer) to a high volume consumer device like a cell phone or laptop. The market is too small for one manufacturer to justify more sophisticated custom chips and too few manufacturers to entice semiconductor companies to design them. As a result, almost every electronic component inside are off-the-shelf and a good deal of the programming is subcontracted.

Bluetooth connectivity will ultimately become standard, but is currently a support PITA and they can't charge extra for it like a data cable. Induction charging is debatable since many divers prefer replaceable batteries or very large capacity (like the Cobalt). Another factor in play is divers tend to expect a longer functional life for DCs compared to computing devices we use everyday. As a result, old DC designs stay on the market while their retail price declines until it stops selling or required components are discontinued.

There is some new technology in the works and newly released. I'm not convinced. The Perdix I use is pretty great but the cost is an obstacle to many. Garmin has just released a version and may continue development of the platform. Another company is developing and will soon release a communication system for underwater including location and directional technology that will link the boat and the divers from it. They have toyed with making it integral with a dive computer but I don't think it is currently part of that platform though it may be in the future.

There is always something new in the works but the dive computer market is rather limited in size.

aqualung owns pelagic pressure systems, not huish
oops...you;re right. Huish owns Oceanic now, And I believe Suunto - or at least is the US distributor.

IMHO, the best time to buy a dive computer is right after Shearwater releases a new computer. All the current Shearwater computer owners upgrade while others realize theirs are old school.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom