Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Dan,
Nice to hear from you, its a shame we did not meet again in Lembeh Resort.

Well, thats a tough question. However I know that some people in Scubaboard have been on the 3 properties so perhaps they would be better judges than me.

I believe the 3 properties have great resort and dive teams and are very service oriented. I can strongly recommend all 3.
The diving is quite different though. As you know Wakatobi has beautiful reefs, walls and sea mounts, they have been protecting the area for many years and the reefs are very healthy with a good variety of reef fish and small critters like pigmy sea horses.
Lembeh Resort is very well located in the middle of the Lembeh Strait and very close to some of the best sites, as you know Lembeh has a great variety of cephalopods, nudibranchs, frogfish and many other critters. Siladen is located in the heart of Bunaken National Park, what I like the most here is the chance of doing a beautiful wall dives and a great muck dive on the same day or even morning. Bunaken, Siladen and Manado Tua have beautiful sheer walls with great corals, good variety of reef fishes and many turtles. The Sulawesi coast has many sandy slopes (white and black) where you can find different critters like Frogfish, Sea Moths etc.... So Siladen has great coral and critter dives close by. Besides its quite easy to combine Lembeh Resort and Siladen Resort on the same vacation as we can organise boat transfers with diving on the way.
So I guess it depends on what type of dives you look for and off course also on each person's budget. We have enjoyed the dives very much on all 3 locations.

Off shore, but very near to Manado is an awesome resort several of us have dived with: Siladen.
I would return in a heartbeat, the diving was spectacular. The resort picks divers up at Manado.
MikiBrunou says elsewhere he's diving on a budget, hence I wouldn't recommend Siladen Resort for him which is probably one of the most expensive resort in Bunaken/Manado area.
There is a wealth of resorts catering for all budgets in the area, most of the affordable/budget resorts are located directly on Bunaken island. If you ask me, I'd probably go with TwoFish Bunaken for diving instruction.

MikiBrunou says elsewhere he's diving on a budget, hence I wouldn't recommend Siladen Resort for him which is probably one of the most expensive resort in Bunaken/Manado area.
There is a wealth of resorts catering for all budgets in the area, most of the affordable/budget resorts are located directly on Bunaken island. If you ask me, I'd probably go with TwoFish Bunaken for diving instruction.

@Miki Brunou La Rascasse Resort Home is also pretty reasonable (with cool AC, Bill). I was there back in 2011.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch for the information and recommendations. Much appreciated :)

Like Luko mentioned, we're travelling on a budget, so I would need to save on the lodging expenses as much as possible. Siladen seems like a comfortable and cozy resort, but unfortunately it's a bit too expensive for us. I sent an inquiry to TwoFish Bunaken to ask for the availability of open water PADI courses and lodging. There seemed to be other resorts in the area besides Siladen that are closed for January–February. I guess it might be difficult to arrange courses if there's only few travellers coming to Manado during rainy season.

We are actually closing in January 6th to February 2nd, but not because of weather. Since its our quieter month we take the chance to do some maintenance without disturbing guests.

If you have the time consider doing some days in Lembeh Strait (great muck/critter diving) and some days in Bunaken (beautiful walls, great corals, good visibility). In Bunaken National Park there is also quite a good amount of muck dives, sandy slopes (black or white) with coral patches.

Please feel free to PM me if you need any further information :)

I think you will love North Sulawesi!
Do you still offer courses despite closing the resort for maintenance? My wife would like to do an open water course, and I myself would be very interested in doing extensive diving in early-mid January, before continuing to Raja Ampat.

@Miki Brunou La Rascasse Resort Home is also pretty reasonable (with cool AC, Bill). I was there back in 2011.
Thanks Dan, unfortunately their website is down, but I sent an inquiry asking for the availability of rooms and courses in January.

As a wage worker, budget is always how we shop, but when diving we shop for the most bang for our bucks, not the cheapest op.

We wanted to get away from the city of Monado, and further into Bunaken National Park (and further from other dive groups)

We were traveling with friends who had stayed with Ana and Miguel when they were resort managers at Lembeh, and loved how they run a resort, so we spent a bit more, and I would do so again in a heartbeat.

When I am traveling half way around the globe, even this working stiff on a budget wants to make damned sure I get the best diving and accommodations for my money, and we feel that few extra $ spent to dive with Siladen was well spent.

Having said that, I am always faced with such budget choices, and can only offer my experiences. Either way, Bunaken is great diving!

As a wage worker, budget is always how we shop, but when diving we shop for the most bang for our bucks, not the cheapest op.

We wanted to get away from the city of Monado, and further into Bunaken National Park (and further from other dive groups)

We were traveling with friends who had stayed with Ana and Miguel when they were resort managers at Lembeh, and loved how they run a resort, so we spent a bit more, and I would do so again in a heartbeat.

When I am traveling half way around the globe, even this working stiff on a budget wants to make damned sure I get the best diving and accommodations for my money, and we feel that few extra $ spent to dive with Siladen was well spent.

Having said that, I am always faced with such budget choices, and can only offer my experiences. Either way, Bunaken is great diving!
There are really lots of accomodation and dive centres around Manado/Bunaken/Lembeh area.
I mean LOTS, probably the most you can find in Indonesia, it's comparable to Bali in terms of choices, every tourism market is adressed

Some operations cater to specific markets : Siladen resort clearly aims to upmarket customers or honeymooners willing to enjoy spa on the side. If getting pampered is what you're looking for that's fine I'm sure Ana & Miguel are doing a good job at that, so were Helen & Gizmo they replaced at Lembeh resort for instance.

On the diving side sometimes cheaper doesn't mean worse (providing of course you are not looking for the dirtiest cheapest), reversely I have seen operations in Lembeh (some well known from Ana), quoting absurd prices while not better than competitors in my opinion.
Twofish Bunaken has a long experience of training and safety, they provide technical diving as well. Add on top of that they're 20% cheaper. .
In two words : paying more doesn't guarantee that will be the best diving experience you can have. :)

There are really lots of accomodation and dive centres around Manado/Bunaken/Lembeh area.
I mean LOTS, probably the most you can find in Indonesia, it's comparable to Bali in terms of choices, every tourism market is adressed

Some operations cater to specific markets : Siladen resort clearly aims to upmarket customers or honeymooners willing to enjoy spa on the side. If getting pampered is what you're looking for that's fine I'm sure Ana & Miguel are doing a good job at that, so were Helen & Gizmo they replaced at Lembeh resort for instance.

On the diving side sometimes cheaper doesn't mean worse (providing of course you are not looking for the dirtiest cheapest), reversely I have seen operations in Lembeh (some well known from Ana), quoting absurd prices while not better than competitors in my opinion.
Twofish Bunaken has a long experience of training and safety, they provide technical diving as well. Add on top of that they're 20% cheaper. .
In two words : paying more doesn't guarantee that will be the best diving experience you can have. :)

True.
Conversely:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."
John Ruskin Quotes"

Shop wisely, read the reviews carefully. Enjoy the diving!

The last time I was there, the place was over fished & no pelagic like you would see in RA. How is it now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom