Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As @Cali_diver mentioned about volcano situation in Bali, the safe way is to stay out of the island since you are still in planning phase. That is not the case for me.

Part of our 2.5 week tour of Indonesia is to spend the last 3 days in Bali. We have bought the airline tickets and made deposit on the diving trip there in early December. So we are committed to go there before we heard the bad news, but by luck we plan to stay in the south (Sanur) & dive in Nusa Penida, not in Tulamben or Kubu.

To date Tulamben is still within the 12km radius of evacuation zone from Mount Agung and it is closed for tourism. Hopefully, Mount Agung would not erupt in the next few months or few years. However, even if the eruption would happen before December, we don't know for how long would it last. The 1963 eruption was lasted for almost a year. If the eruption happens before we arrive in Denpasar, the people in the island would need all of the transportation they can get to evacuate. We don't want to add fuel to the fire. So, as plan B, we are going to skip the trip to Bali & go home 3 days earlier. That's why we have travel insurance.

Off shore, but very near to Manado is an awesome resort several of us have dived with: Siladen.
I would return in a heartbeat, the diving was spectacular. The resort picks divers up at Manado.

SB member ScubAn@ and her husband Miguel are the managers of Siladen.
You can always drop Ana a PM, private message, and ask about seasons.

Also, I believe that Ana and Miguel used to operated a resort in Lembeh, so they are a wealth of information on the entire region, and they are SB members too.

Last edited:
Off shore, but very near to Manado is an awesome resort several of us have dived with: Siladen.
I would return in a heartbeat, the diving was spectacular. The resort picks divers up at Manado.

SB member ScubAn@ and her husband Miguel are the managers of Siladen.
You can always drop Ana a PM, private message, and ask about seasons.

Also, I believe that Ana and Miguel used to operated a resort in Lembau, so they are a wealth of information on the entire region, and they are SB members too.

Does Siladen have AC?

gypsyjim Thank you for recommending Siladen :) It was great to have you guys here :)

kate, I do think you will have a great experience in North Sulawesi in January. Yes, it is supposed to be the rainy season but lately weather has been very unpredictable. This dry season was much rainier than usual and on last years we still had great conditions in January. Also rainy season does not mean rain all day long every day, usually we have strong showers at the end of the day but beautiful mornings.

The water temperature is also quite good then, above 80.

We are actually closing in January 6th to February 2nd, but not because of weather. Since its our quieter month we take the chance to do some maintenance without disturbing guests.

If you have the time consider doing some days in Lembeh Strait (great muck/critter diving) and some days in Bunaken (beautiful walls, great corals, good visibility). In Bunaken National Park there is also quite a good amount of muck dives, sandy slopes (black or white) with coral patches.

Please feel free to PM me if you need any further information :)

I think you will love North Sulawesi!

gypsyjim Thank you for recommending Siladen :) It was great to have you guys here :)

kate, I do think you will have a great experience in North Sulawesi in January. Yes, it is supposed to be the rainy season but lately weather has been very unpredictable. This dry season was much rainier than usual and on last years we still had great conditions in January. Also rainy season does not mean rain all day long every day, usually we have strong showers at the end of the day but beautiful mornings.

We are actually closing in January 6th to February 2nd, but not because of weather. Since its our quieter month we take the chance to do some maintenance without disturbing guests.

If you have the time consider doing some days in Lembeh Strait (great muck/critter diving) and some days in Bunaken (beautiful walls, great corals, good visibility). In Bunaken National Park there is also quite a good amount of muck dives, sandy slopes (black or white) with coral patches.t you a PM.

Just sent you a PM.

- Bill

If you have the time consider doing some days in Lembeh Strait (great muck/critter diving) and some days in Bunaken (beautiful walls, great corals, good visibility). In Bunaken National Park there is also quite a good amount of muck dives, sandy slopes (black or white) with coral patches.

Hi Ana,

Greetings from Texas. Glad to know you are in Siladen Resort now. I first met you when you were in Wakatobi Resort back in 2009. Later on I went to Lembeh Resort in 2013 and learnt that you were there too for a while, but you were off on vacation elsewhere then.

Question for you that I hope the answer would be useful from everyone else here too:
What would differentiate Siladen Resort from Wakatobi Resort and Lembeh Resort?

Thanks
Dan

Back
Top Bottom