1 month in Indonesia (open to other Asia suggestions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving august can be limited because of the wind. i've been 4 times in august in Bangka, it's a hit or miss, on two years we had almost no issues, one year was really problematic because of the wind; impossible to go further east and some of the shallow mainland side couldn't be dived, so the diving was restricted around south Bangka and deeper wall kind mainland sites, crossing the strait was a PITA.
In comparison I had very flat seas in April/May also later in september.

Slight rain is a lesser problem than wind and waves when diving.

You are right. This website helps me a lot: Maritim - Prakiraan Gelombang Satu Minggu kedepan | BMKG

Yup this is what they said in email (twice) "During the period of July - September are still a good time however for some several time it will be windy and rainy on medium to high scale".

I don't mind the rain so much but I get seasick easily so try to avoid windy periods as much as I can. I will take the suggestion and likely push to later in Sept.

Thanks!

Yup this is what they said in email (twice) "During the period of July - September are still a good time however for some several time it will be windy and rainy on medium to high scale".

I don't mind the rain so much but I get seasick easily so try to avoid windy periods as much as I can. I will take the suggestion and likely push to later in Sept.

Thanks!
August is supposed to be the driest month of the year at North Sulawesi.

We call 0.5-1.25m wave is good time for diving here in Gulf of Mexico. :D

Pretty standard for Belize, no big deal but different boat style, wouldn't you agree?

Yep. We did giant stride from the liveaboard to the water 8’ below deck.

Yoiks! What vessel?

Oh! Sorry I thought you meant in Belize.

Hi all

I am going back to the drawing board, I decided to cancel our Oct banda sea liveaboard after reading some of the recent threads on how rough the conditions were. The boat we booked (Carpe Diem) is a wooden phinisi on the smaller side and they said although they didn't have to turn back they also didn't see any hammerheads this year. We will take the advice to go with a steel hulled boat and more experienced operator like Mermaid or Blue Manta in 2021.

So that leaves us with the following for 2020:
Raja Ampat North and Central 8D/7N liveaboard in early April
Anilao 5 days at end of April
Komodo 8D/7N liveaboard at end of June, 4 days in Tulemban before Komodo, 3 days in Padang Bai after Komodo
Raja Ampat South and Triton Bay 10D/9N liveaboard in Jan 2021 (replacement trip for cancelled Oct banda sea crossing)

I had previously reached out to Bastianos for a 16 night stay in Oct, split 6N Lembeh, 6N Bangka, and 4N Bunekan which was going to be my month long sabbatical along with the Banda Sea trip.

Now that we cancelled the Banda trip I have enough vacation days to do the Lembeh/Bangka/Bunekan leg with just regular vacation days without using my sabbatical.

I am looking at mainly two options and hoping for some advice:

1. Phillipine Siren has a 14D/13N Cebu to Puerto Princessa crossing trip at the end of Feb that covers most of the southern Visayas and Tubbataha. I was thinking I can expand this to 1 month by doing Malapascua, Leyte, and Moalboal before the trip, and El Nido after. Not interested in wrecks so will skip Coron. Alternatively I move my Anilao booking to after El Nido.

2. Tack on another trip to Raja Ampat at the end of the 16D Lembeh/Bangka/Bunekan trip so this becomes the month long sabbatical. Use the extra vacation days to do 2 weeks elsewhere, maybe the Siren crossing or land based Visayas trip.

3. Tack on 10 days to Alor in Oct, although I would prefer to do big current destinations with my husband and not solo, and the Mermaid biodiversity cruise we're eyeing for 2021 also covers Alor. So not leaning toward this atm.

So I guess my question is, should I go to areas in the Phillipines (esp Tubbataha) where I have not been to before, or use the time to do another trip to Raja Ampat? I do like trying new places and Phillipines is much easier to get to from HK (direct flights), but I don't want to pay a premium for the Siren trip (7k) if Raja will be much better (and can be done for 4k)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom