Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that makes sense. Unfortunately, "local" in our case means diving in the Baltic Sea, which is not exactly known for spectacular marine life nor good visibility. The guys from Two Fish Divers were pretty determined in providing my wife a good initiation for scuba diving. I'm sure she's not the first one doing her open water course in Bunaken. On the other hand, it would be really unfortunate if she would be struggling with the currents and buoyancy control so much that it would keep her from enjoying the whole thing. I did my open water course in Pulau Weh, Banda Aceh, where the currents were ripping at times. I actually thought that those conditions were just business as usual. But I did see a huge manta and a leopard shark on my fourth open water dive :)

Yup, got it. Just keep in mind that coming a long way to a wonderful spot will put pressure on the new diver, especially if she wants to meet someone else's expectations :).

Be cautious about what dives you take her on, esp. in RA. I often hear people say something that sounds like "The DM will keep you out of currents", which is baloney. They will do their best, and those who know the area will do better than those that do not -- but one should never assume that any DM can determine what the ocean will be doing five minutes hence.

- Bill

Yup, got it. Just keep in mind that coming a long way to a wonderful spot will put pressure on the new diver, especially if she wants to meet someone else's expectations :).

Be cautious about what dives you take her on, esp. in RA. I often hear people say something that sounds like "The DM will keep you out of currents", which is baloney. They will do their best, and those who know the area will do better than those that do not -- but one should never assume that any DM can determine what the ocean will be doing five minutes hence.
Sure, I get easily carried away and wouldn't want to put her in a place where she's not enjoying the ride anymore. We will probably dive the house reef of Raja Ampat Dive Lodge with her, and not go much further away from the shore.

Sure, I get easily carried away and wouldn't want to put her in a place where she's not enjoying the ride anymore. We will probably dive the house reef of Raja Ampat Dive Lodge with her, and not go much further away from the shore.

Good choice! It has a nice & long housereef along the resort.

It's owned by Balinese, so you'll see a truly Indonesian touch on the resort lodging, accommodation, food & service. They also have liveaboard operations, Raja Ampat Liveaboard Diving, also Komodo, Alor, other Indonesia

I'm thinking of doing the combo resort & liveaboard trip with them someday.

Good choice! It has a nice & long housereef along the resort.

It's owned by Balinese, so you'll see a truly Indonesian touch on the resort lodging, accommodation, food & service. They also have liveaboard operations, Raja Ampat Liveaboard Diving, also Komodo, Alor, other Indonesia

I'm thinking of doing the combo resort & liveaboard trip with them someday.
That's good to know. I've understood that it's not uncommon to see black tips on the house reef, which sounds fantastic to me.

I have to check out the liveaboard option. Thanks!

I've understood that it's not uncommon to see black tips on the house reef,
... or blue ring octopus on a nightdive.

I can't wait to get there!

Btw, I read somewhere that the horrific damage that MS Caledonian Sky caused in RA would be centred in Crossover reef, but do you know any other sites that are clearly affected by the accident?

Don't have to be on a night dive. This little guy was posting in front of me under Arborek jetty (30 min boat ride from RADL) during a morning dive.
sM0031546.JPG

Blue-ring octopus is every where in Indonesia. I almost stepped on this little guy while walking on Pandawa beach (Bali) during a low tide.
IMG_6368.JPG

This little mommy was guarding its baby swimming inside the beer bottle in Lembeh.
IMG_6369.JPG

If you do like to dive at night, there would be high chance to see this little walking shark in RADL housereef.
IMG_4705.JPG

I saw one looking for scrap right underneath Raja4Divers Resort restaurant, while waiting for dinner to be served.

Blue-ring octopus is every where in Indonesia.
It's like I was saying Zebra shark (not Leopard, there is no Leopard shark in SEA) is everywhere in SEA since I saw many in Thailand or Sipadan..:D
Yeah... if you look well and spend hundreds of dives everywhere may be so, in that time you may have also ticked all the varieties in the NSSI nudibranch book..

I had to wait some 500 dives to see my first BRO in .. Raja Ampat... then afterwards more in Lembeh.
Still none in Bangka (been 6 or 7 times), none in Ambon (been 3 times), none in Bali (been... errh.. dunno probably more than 10 times.. fugitively one on a night dive, not even sure, does not count) none in Alor (3 times) none in Komodo (3 times) to cite the most important dive areas.

The most I've seen was clearly in the Philippines : Panglao or Anilao, up to 4 in one dive, mostly during the night because they're active and more visible than at day time where they are more difficult to spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom