Is faber the only Steel tank maker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c2h5oh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For AL tanks there is Luxfer an Catalina? For steel tanks is there only Faber? Do they have a monopoly on steel tanks?

They are the only ones making steel SCUBA cylinders since Worthington exited the business a few years ago.

There are other manufacturers of steel tanks in Europe but the quality is so bad that it only serves to underscore the point that Faber is the only manufacturer of tanks whose tanks you should actually BUY.

R..

There are more than Catalina and Luxfor. There is a Chinese manufacturer who also makes steels.

There are other manufacturers of steel tanks in Europe but the quality is so bad that it only serves to underscore the point that Faber is the only manufacturer of tanks whose tanks you should actually BUY.

R..

This is the first time I hear that the German and Czech manufacturers of steel tanks in Europe have bad quality standards. Perhaps this is why they are bigger than Faber??

How is their quality bad, do they rupture and blow up or bulge up or what? Please elaborate.

Last edited:
This is the first time I hear that the German and Czech manufacturers of steel tanks in Europe have bad quality standards. Perhaps this is why they are bigger than Faber??

How is their quality bad, do they rupture and blow up or bulge up or what? Please elaborate.

Bad paint and rust. a LOT of rust.

Faber, at least where I live, seem to have cornered the market on finishing their tanks with any kind a quality.

R..

I fill, test, clean, and sell hundreds of tanks per year. ECS and Vitkovice steels are, in my experience, no more prone to rust than Faber. They also offer the significant advantage of being far easier to trim than relatively short and neck-heavy Fabers.

I fill, test, clean, and sell hundreds of tanks per year. ECS and Vitkovice steels are, in my experience, no more prone to rust than Faber. They also offer the significant advantage of being far easier to trim than relatively short and neck-heavy Fabers.

@Hickdive

Where are you located please? Europe?

For AL tanks there is Luxfer an Catalina? For steel tanks is there only Faber? Do they have a monopoly on steel tanks?

as you are in the US, yes, Faber is the only steel tank manufacturer currently exporting SCUBA tanks to the US. There has not been a US manufacturer of steel cylinders for SCUBA cylinders in ~10 years when PST stopped producing cylinders. Worthington is a manufacturer in Canada that stopped distributing several years ago as well.

Thankfully Faber has started producing galvanized steel bottles for the US market that I've heard are quite nice. I'm a cheap bastard so I won't invest in them for several more years, if ever, but from my friends that have, they're quite nice

Thankfully Faber has started producing galvanized steel bottles for the US market that I've heard are quite nice.

Which online store sell galvanized steel bottles and do shop in Europe?

Do there are any other manufacturers who make galvanized steel bottle?

Also is it possible to use a Faber steel bottle in Europe?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom