Is Dutch Springs unique?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have to get a dry glove system before my Ice Diving class. I did my Nitrox class dives this past weekend at a small local quarry here. We ended up doing our sit time floating at the surface so that we could keep our hands in the water because it was 55 degrees and the air was around 39 with high winds. I'd say the windchill was at least down to 29 so even considering the heat draw of water, it was still much warmer in the water. I am going to take cavern and maybe cave next year which I thought Ice was a good predecessor to, just a cold one.

darylm74,

I believe NESS is going to be doing something with a cavern course this spring. I spoke with Doug at Dutch Springs last weekend, and have to call for details, but if that's what you want to do, if you'd like keep in touch with me.

What exactly does the cavern cert qualify you to do? (I guess I'm not sure about the difference between a cavern and a cave)

Junko,

In simple terms, cavern means that you have to stay within the light of day and I believe in most cases, you're only allowed to go so far in. For example with ice diving, you are tethered off to a 100ft line so that you don't go wandering off too far and have to hit the surface. Cave is where you explore past the light of day, I have yet to decide on cave yet but am considering it. I am not claustrophobic by any imagination but I do want to make sure I am thoroughly ok with the cavern for awhile before I do cave so probably do cavern spring and cave fall or perhaps the following year.

JR,

I'll keep in touch with you with respect to cavern. I am not sure if my LDS is going to offer it, as our instructors are limited with respect to the cavern specialty and we don't have a cave instructor here. Thanks.

thanks, that's interesting to know....Cave sounds interesting, but a big committment of $$$$, I would think...too bad there aren't resort cave dives, lol

I won't comment on the quarries beyond saying that Dutch isn't unique. If you look at the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew or Kentucky portion of this board, you will see much the same references to various quarries that we use for training.

But, until you have seen a wreck at 120 ft. in the Straits of Mackinac that looks like it went down yesterday, you can't tell me that is freshwater is boring. Lake Champlain still has relatively intact artifacts from the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. I guess if you a fish person and not really a history person, I see your point. But, if you love nautical history, then you owe it to yourself to visit the Great Lakes. We have wooden wrecks here that would never last in the salt water environment (which is the reason that for the most part artifact taking is pretty much prohibited here now).

One vacation, I plan to take some time and dive some wrecks out in your neck of the woods as well. But, I still haven't seen all that I want to see up here. :)

PS A drysuit is recommended, but not necessarily required up here. I know many divers that use a two piece 7mm, including my preferred dive buddy.

junko:
I've heard the great lakes are really good--my AOW instructor was from there

Don't overlook the St Lawrence River - great wrecks and visibillity in fresh water at all depths.

For the most part I think that DS is unique. They have put alot of effort into making it so. New Aqua Park has made it more of a family outing to include the nondiving members of the family.

As most (90% or better) of my diving has been in the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, and St. Lawrence River. I enjoy every trip I have made to DS. And I will be there the 2nd weekend in Nov.

All of my dives have been fresh water and I am not bored. Not only do I enjoy the "wild life", the near perfect wrecks, but also the geology that the glaciers left behind from a zillion years ago. (Including fossilized Stag Horn coral)

From Nov. till April is our typical Dry Suit sseason while the rest of the year is wet suit season. The air temp is more of a factor than the water temps though.

The camping does bum me out a bit though but they have been or have tried to work that out too.

Like everything else in diving, you got to find what is best for you!

tedwhiteva:
Don't overlook the St Lawrence River - great wrecks and visibillity in fresh water at all depths.
I second that motion as well. I just hope that you don't mind heavy constant current!

Seriously, that is the only issue with Rockport/Brockville area. The wrecks are indeed great. The water is warm and vis is awesome as the current takes away anything that the rototillers tend to kick up.

diverbrian:
I second that motion as well. I just hope that you don't mind heavy constant current!

Seriously, that is the only issue with Rockport/Brockville area. The wrecks are indeed great. The water is warm and vis is awesome as the current takes away anything that the rototillers tend to kick up.

Well, it is a river, and rivers do flow. I did 8 dives out of Brockville in August and loved them all. The wrecks in heavy current had lines on them so you could pull yourself along. But my favorite wreck -- and one of my all-time favorite dives -- was the Lillie Parsons, where you let go when you're ready and let the current take you on the ride of your life! I can't wait to do the St. Lawrence again.

g

Back
Top Bottom