Is Diving in Red Tide Unhealthy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can red tide effect you during or after a dive?

On the beach my head gets FILLED with flem/congestion with a terrible cough almost instantly. That's the airborne side effect of red tide. Can it do anything to your skin, eyes, throat, mouth ect. when diving?

I'm not sure if your Red Tide is the same thing we call Red Tide up here but we never stopped diving or bathing for it, nor was there advice to. The only publicized risk was eating shellfish that concentrate the resulting toxin.

This is the NH site and they explain it all nicely.

Pete

Last edited:
I have dove in red tides many times with no ill effects. You may have an allergy that is effected by this.

Red Tide, Red Tide, Dive Dive Dive, Dont eat the shell fish or you'll died die die... That was something funny I once heard an old salty dog say in Gig Harbor WA. I never forgot it...

It depends. Red tide can refer to various organisms.

This from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission at:
Frequently Asked Questions about Red Tide

Is it safe to swim during a Florida red tide?
Swimming is safe for most people. However, the Florida red tide can cause some people to suffer skin irritation and burning eyes. People with respiratory illness may also experience respiratory irritation in the water. Use common sense. If you are particularly susceptible to irritation from plant products, avoid an area with a red tide bloom. If you experience irritation, get out of the water and thoroughly wash off. Do not swim among dead fish because they can be associated with harmful bacteria.
Sounds like you might be one of the unfortunate susceptible people.

As knotical has posted, there may be some people who are sensitive to the red tide organisms or their metabolic byproducts. In general for most people it is reasonably safe (IMHO as a marine biologist) unless you ingest massive quantities of the organisms while diving (and you'd then die from the excessive salt water).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom