Is dive insurance necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread. I really liked the post by DocVikingo. I appreciate the information posted as it was very good reading and made for some eye opening. I think I will be looking into the limits and coverages of my personal medical coverages involving dive related accidents as well as supplementing that policy with a dive insurance policy. I will continue to check this thread for more posts. Thanks again for all your help.

Tim

Hi TexasMike & Tim,

Thank you both very kindly.

Tim, I think your plan is a prudent one. The premiums are small, while the potential financial liability is large. I wouldn't dream of diving without this coverage.

Happy New Year.

DocVikingo

Wow, my LDS and instructors never even mentioned the concept of Dive Insurance! During our recent vacation, my partner and I wondered how we could be covered in case of dive-related injury, but we were "diving naked".
Ouch!
I will certainly look into these options soon, as we have another trip planned for March.
Thanks for the excellant posts!

Hi scuba-sass,

I agree that the topic really should be at least briefly covered in BOW, even if it's not in the training manual.

BTW, as you continue diving you'll run across lots of important concepts not touched on in most BOW or AOW courses.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Doc, Mike, Good info.
The insurance I've been selling for 12 years is www.travelguard.com
I have had people tell me they were very glad I urged them to take it. Not even 10% of the clients have had to use it, but the ones that have, were always happy with them.

I buy it on all my trips, and I have D.A.N.

:gorgeous:

... the more you learn how much you still have to learn!

Thanks for the reminder!

Scuba-sass

Sounds a little irresponsible on the part of your LDS and instructor! Sounds like they left out that information because they couldn't make a buck off of it! D.A.N. offers coverage for students during training and IF I read the paperwork right it's free (don't quote me on that). We encourage all of our students to sign up for it, I know that the sign up sheet has room for 4 students (I believe) to sign up and we use as many sheets as necessary. D.A.N. doesn't pester you afterward with sales pitches, I think they send you a membership application but that's all. At the end of the class we encourage the students one last time to get the insurance and we give them D.A.N. applications if they want one. I still can't believe you were never informed about insurance! :eek:

Ber :bunny:

... and giving them my opinion on this omission. This is not the first issue that I feel was not covered in our class, that should have been. We had a first-time instructor, and I think someone should have been paying closer attention to what he was / was not covering!

I've already visited the DAN website, and will check out the other insurance options this weekend, and make a decision on which to go with. Believe me, I'm not one to take chances!

Thanks for all the great advice on this board!

Scuba-sass

Thanks All! Especially Doc Vikingo!

This was something I always meant to take care of after my OW class - but never got around to it. (I should know better - I work in the insurance industry!) Anyway - after reading this post - I hopped onto the DAN website and signed up for the preferred plan.

Hey - if I never use the insurance (and that would be a good thing) at least I'll get a couple more dive magazines!

-Jim

Glad to hear you're researching the insurance! Just out of curiosity what other issues did you feel should be covered in class? I'm hoping to finish my instructor certification this spring and am very interested in finding out what divers think should be in the lessons. I have a good instructor working with me but I'd like to see things from as many points of view as possible as I start writing my lectures. Since we are teaching at the university and have plenty of class time we write our own lectures using NAUI's material plus whatever we feel is relevant. Either post here, PM me or start another thread (just let me know where), I'd appreciate any and all input!
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom