Is dive insurance necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should also mention that both the DAN and PADI insurance plans were reviewed by my instructor during my OW class - which was at a PADI shop. No pressure to purchase the PADI plan - just a review of the similarities and differences in both plans. As DAN is not-for-profit, I choose them.

Ber - at what university are you teaching? UD? Just curious - I'm only about 50 minutes from Dayton - and my LDS is a little pricey on their specialty courses.

Don't delay!! Get some type of divers insurance now. One way to look at it is like this. DAN preferred $100/year. Possible cost of chamber treatment $10,000+ It would take you 100 years at current premiums to pay $10,000. To me this is a no brainer especially in may case because it is the only insurance I have.

DiverG

also a new option that is available to DAN members...

Dan has worked out a deal for eqpt insurance its done through a third part but is only available to Dan members.

Go to their Web site (news page) and follow the links..
or use this one

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/danservices/equipment.asp

I have about $20k gear insured for $280, There is another company that will also insure your gear

http://www.equipmentprotection.com/programs/depp.html

but has gear type restrictions (they wouldn't insure my rebreather)

I also agree this is an important topic and stress it to all my students (on some of my classes I REQUIRE dive insurance), Even though I'd get a kickback from Padi for selling their insurance I still recommend DAN.

Do you have to have health insurance to get DAN insurance? Also is there a certain coverage you have to have if you dive over 100 feet or over the rec limit of 130?

Dan insurance is suplemental, but there is no requirement to have it..

Dan has 3 different plans, chose the plan thats right for you.. some have a depth limit others have none...
standard 130 ft limit
master and preferred no depth limit, on all my deco classes I require the students to have at least the master plan before doing the inwater dives.

basic Open water students can get Free insurance from dan while they are in training..
dan membership is $29 and insurance is $25/$35/$70

Originally posted by Addicted Diver
Do you have to have health insurance to get DAN insurance? Also is there a certain coverage you have to have if you dive over 100 feet or over the rec limit of 130?

No, yes.

You might want to try the Divers Alert Network website for more information.

Well, I never imagined that my thread on dive insurance would gain so many great responses. I am glad I took the time to post and hear what others had to say on this issue. I just checked with my own health insurance provider and learned that hyperbaric chamber treatment is NOT covered under my existing policy. I even have a pretty good health insurance policy as an employee for a large state agency so I would hate to see what other insurance policies don't cover. I asked about medical evacuation expenses and was told that the only way those may (and they stressed the word "may") be covered is if they receive a medical certification stating that the chamber treatment was necessary for the recovery of the individual. It sounded to me like that even with that medical certification that it would be next to impossible to get that covered either. Ouch! Makes you wonder what you spend all that money on sometimes.

I am now looking at the DAN web site for their insurance and membership benefits and comparing them with other dive insurance plans to see what is the best and most complete bang for my buck.

Again, thanks to all who posted on this thread.

Tim

if you need to use the chamber, and are away from the usa, you pay for the service before you leave the country.....its best to have the dive insurance.......

Hi fastfishh,

How this is handled differs in different locations.

Not all countries/facilities require that the diver pay for chamber services rendered before leaving/being discharged. There are places that provide free chamber treatment coverage when you make a donation to the local recompression facility. Cozumel, for example, offers you the option of such coverage when you donate at the local dive shop you are using.

Additionally, a number of facilites will accept an in-force DAN or PADI policy as proof that their expenses eventually will be covered. In cases where some or all of your treatment costs must be paid before you depart even when you have dive accident insurance, and you do not have the cash or credit to do so, agencies like DAN will work with both you & the facility get it sorted out.

I do fully agree with your statement that, "........it's best to have the dive insurance......."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Beleve me; if you ever need in, it's worth double the yearly cost to have it.

Try $ 14,500.00 for a emergency evac. flight from Bonaire to Florida. DAN came through!!!

Ron

Back
Top Bottom