Is Cozumel the right place to get certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first real diving was in Cozumel, and it is the reason I was hooked. I have been back many times, and I love it as much now as I ever have.

I have never dived with Christi and Blue XT Sea, but they have an excellent reputation, and I think you will be very happy with them.

I agree with those who say to do your classroom and pool work at home and go to Cozumel with a referral in your hand.

Come on over to the Cozumel part of the board - just click on the url below. You'll find a tremendous amount of expertise from the board regulars there and they would be happy to answer any and all questions you may have about diving, hotels, restaurants - everything! BTW, I dove with Christi and Blue XT Sea this past May and would agree that you made a great choice. Pedro Pablo and Bianca are great DMs and Christi's operation is first class. (No, I'm not a paid professional announcer). I'll be back in Coz in Dec. It's the best place I've found to dive on this side of the world and think you'll have an experience there that you'll use to measure every other one. Plus, you'll get to experience drift diving done right. You made a good choice. Come on over to the Coz forum - you'll be most welcome!

Cozumel - ScubaBoard

Like the others said do as much at home as possible. Be sure to do the pool work. I don't want to raise a red flag but this does not come easy to everyone. With a little determination and patient coaching however almost anyone that wants to can adapt. Nevertheless one troubled diver could gum up the works.

NOTHING sucks up time like diving. Get your lodging so you can have fun efficiently

You don't say where you live but you have probably missed the boat to fully certify locally in decent conditions. Go certify in warm water and if you seek to be active local divers the you can get a local orientation next spring. Being an active local diver is THE way to become safe & proficient. Besides, diving is way too cool to only do on vacation.

Have fun,dive safe,
Pete

Congrats on being hooked on the best sport on the planet!!!

Cozumel and the Cayman Islands are both beautiful places to dive and I have enjoyed them several times. I have not dove with Blue XT but those who have commented have had good things to say so far so I have no reason to believe that they would not be a great operation to explore.

I am going to respond in a slightly different fashion from those who have posted above (I think).

Since you are planning the trip for May of 2010, you have plenty of time to get certified before you go. I would suggest, as others have noted, that you get certified BEFORE you go on your trip. Take the time between now and then to work on your diving skills, comfort in the water, and proficiency. By the time May rolls around, you should hopefully feel comfortable enough to dive in the Caribbean and take in all that it has to offer.

Personally, I would not want to spend my time in paradise learning to dive. I want to spend the time in paradise actually diving. I had a former student send his wife to Cozumel to do her check out dives and she could not get past the mask skill. She never completed her certification and spent her time in paradise on dry land!! If you are going to have issues or unforeseen problems diving, then I would suggest that they be worked out before you get there. Otherwise you could be wasting time in paradise (not diving that is).

Additionally, diving in Cozumel especially usually involves diving in current. This is a very different experience for new (and seasoned) divers who are not used to it. It can be confusing and disorienting and may take a little getting used to. If you are comfortable with your diving skills before you get there then the transition may be easier. Caymans has a little current but I did not experience much when I was there.

You have several options to choose from and the posters here I think have given great advice. My 2 cents would be to get certified before you go and spend the extra time honing your diving skills. It will make diving in a new environment more enjoyable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom