Is Coronavirus keeping you from booking liveaboard/overseas trips this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a more positive note, I think airline ticket prices may be coming down.....

Return tickets from NYC to Manila are $550 with a 2 hour layover in Seoul. I just hope they don't shut out the route before we go.

Hmmmm........

Infections
COVID-19: Approximately 80,410 cases worldwide; 53 cases in the U.S. as of Feb. 25, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 2,708 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 25, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Well don't let the facts ruin a good political hit-job MrBigfins! I learned to go with rhetoric and never to use statistics. Fear mongering incites more people than facts.

This is 45's Katrina. Just turn on network news; they are telling you this right now.

What happened to the last worldwide pandemic? You know Zika.
Zika virus at "pandemic" level, National Institutes of Health says - CBS News

How about the Bird Flu pandemic?
Bird Flu-Linked Pandemic Feared

My Advice: Proceed cautiously. Plan your trips. Buy airline tickets that can be transferred or refunded. Make your final decision before the cancellation dates for the services you are booking. You may lose your deposits, but that's life. Those refundable tickets do cost more but they come with better perks.

We may suffer more economically as our world wide economy starts to contract do to supply chain issues.

I am learning that this new "pandemic" is taking more elderly and infirmed people verses the very young. Which seems to be unusual.

Chill people. Just chill. It has not become a worldwide pandemic yet. And don't believe everything you hear on network news.

Otherwise, cheers,
markm

Well don't let the facts ruin a good political hit-job MrBigfins! I learned to go with rhetoric and never to use statistics. Fear mongering incites more people than facts.

This is 45's Katrina. Just turn on network news; they are telling you this right now.

What happened to the last worldwide pandemic? You know Zika.
Zika virus at "pandemic" level, National Institutes of Health says - CBS News

How about the Bird Flu pandemic?
Bird Flu-Linked Pandemic Feared

My Advice: Proceed cautiously. Plan your trips. Buy airline tickets that can be transferred for refunded. Make your final decision before the cancellation dates for the services you are booking. You may lose your deposits, but that's life. Those refundable tickets do cost more but they come with better perks.

We may suffer more economically as our world wide economy starts to contract do to supply chain issues.

I am learning that this new "pandemic" is taking more elderly and infirmed people verses the very young. Which seems to be unusual.

Chill people. Just chill. It has not become a worldwide pandemic yet. And don't believe everything you hear on network news.

Otherwise, cheers,
markm
You should not play medical professional on SB either

Until it starts turning people into zombies, I'm cool.

Just to be clear — my question in the original post was not about the virus itself. My question is whether you all are willing to risk the potential for travel disruptions due to potential flight cancellations, travel bans, quarantines, etc. I myself am ambivalent on that question. I started diving in Cozumel back when the swine flu hit Mexico, and purely from the point of a traveling diver, it was great for several years — dirt cheap flights, resorts practically giving rooms away, few divers on the boats. But this flu panic seems a bit different from the swine flu, in that travel restrictions seem more drastic and unpredictable.

Buy SDS on the stock exchange. I did a week and a half ago.

Buy SDS on the stock exchange. I did a week and a half ago.
Gilead Pharma yay.

Just to be clear — my question in the original post was not about the virus itself. My question is whether you all are willing to risk the potential for travel disruptions due to potential flight cancellations, travel bans, quarantines, etc. I myself am ambivalent on that question. I started diving in Cozumel back when the swine flu hit Mexico, and purely from the point of a traveling diver, it was great for several years — dirt cheap flights, resorts practically giving rooms away, few divers on the boats. But this flu panic seems a bit different from the swine flu, in that travel restrictions seem more drastic and unpredictable.

Back in the Swine Flu era, I’m guessing you didn’t start a similar thread.

Maybe that’s why it didn’t blow out of proportion. Now this seems to be working better.

The nets seem to be doing this well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom